Thread: Custom unit's colour is faded

Default Custom unit's colour is faded

I searched the forums, but could find nothing to help me with this problem.

I've created a new unit based the voltigeur using maxsim666's tutorial, and I've got it working correctly with the custom atlases I've made, but for some reason the faction colours are seriously faded---the diffuse and normal-map look correct, though.

Mine is on the left (the right is the default voltigeur, shown for reference).

The colours under the uniform_to_faction_colours are exactly the same as the voltigeur, and as far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the colour_mask atlas texture. It's not just pure grey, though; I tried changing the colours to bright red, and it turned a very faded red ingame.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

maxsim666's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Custom unit's colour is faded

what image editor did you used for editing dds? there must be something about alpha channel, check gloss.dds and diffuse.dds, are the twos that give such problem when alpha channel is not correct. If you wish you can upload your mod so I can check it.
    "In hostem celerrime volant"

- Voloire -

I'm using Photoshop CS, and I have checked the alpha channels of all the textures, and they seem to be fine. I've even tried saving them with several different forms of compression, but to no avail.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BWN7J0CW Here's the mod if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Thanks.

maxsim666's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Docm30 View Post
    I'm using Photoshop CS, and I have checked the alpha channels of all the textures, and they seem to be fine. I've even tried saving them with several different forms of compression, but to no avail.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BWN7J0CW Here's the mod if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Thanks.
    did you renamed diffuse gloss and normal dds in PFM?
    I experienced troubles when I acted so.
    what I can see is a wrong listing order in your atlas directory as in image attached
    each atlas should be followed by its related dds as in your atlas directory is for colour_mask, instead for diffuse normal and gloss there first all three atlas, then all three dds and that is a wrong order.
    I experienced same alphabetical listing order when I did rename files in PFM, when I did rename them in windows explore and only once renamed I added them to mod, they were listed correctly.
    When dds files (or atlas too or unit_variant) are incorrectly listed, I reckon napoleonTW did not recognize them as valid reference files, so it would not load them, and your case NTW loaded texture from another reference file .... which one? I do not know for sure but I guess from unitparts, but colour_mask attributes will not work rightly. Or more probably it works this way: Ntw consider the right listed as one prefixed set (in your case colour_mask.atlas and colour_mask.dds and maybe diffuse.atlas, gloss.atlas and normal.atlas) and the wrong listed as another prefixed set (in your case diffuse.dds, gloss.dds and normal.dds) what does not work is that NTW does not chain colour_mask.dds with diffuse normal and gloss dds. Hence colours in uniform_to_faction_colours will not be applied in your textures
    so if you have original psd or tga you can newly convert them in dds and rename them before importing in PFM.
    If you worked directly with dds, without saving before in tga or psd format, then I reckon you must remake all the three files, diffuse normal and gloss, alas!!
    Last edited by maxsim666; April 22, 2010 at 04:19 AM.

- Voloire -

I sent the colour_mask dds to another computer that has a newer version of Photoshop installed and edited it with that, and it worked perfectly ingame. I guess my older version of Photoshop is corrupting the dds files somehow, so I suppose I'll have to do the texture editing on that computer.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated.

maxsim666's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Docm30 View Post
    I sent the colour_mask dds to another computer that has a newer version of Photoshop installed and edited it with that, and it worked perfectly ingame. I guess my older version of Photoshop is corrupting the dds files somehow, so I suppose I'll have to do the texture editing on that computer.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated.
    yes but check also the listed order of atlas directory, it is not correct.

- Voloire -