Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The R/R R/C Compilation Units Project Page

Default The R/R R/C Compilation Units Project Page

I'm taking a stab at something I've wanted to do for awhile............................

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the Total War Royal Military Academy at Honga.net.
    Personally I think it's an awesome site, except for one thing.
    I doesn't have the R/C R/R Compilation Units listed.

So............. I'm thinking about making an attempt at a site dedicated to listing the unit info of the compilation. What I'm looking for is feedback from you guys if you even think something like that is needed.
    I have actually started it. I have most of the units from Byzantium, Germany and Venice already up. It's taken a week just to get this far, so I want to make sure there is an interest before I commit any further.

The site is at http://www.stainless-steel-mod.com Right now it's a sub-domain of another site I have. If things do go well, I'll get a separate domain, but for now, I just want to see what you think of what I've got up now. I've got some ideas for some things, like making it easier to navigate around, but right now I'd just like to concentrate on getting info up for the units.
    Don't pay any attention to the opening page though, I plan on changing that in the near future. Right now I'm concerned with the unit-info pages.
    Oh, please keep in mind, I'm not a professional web designer. I just play around with HTML as a hobby. I'm open to any advice or criticisms, just be nice!
    So go ahead and check it out. Let me know what you think.

That link again is http://www.stainless-steel-mod.com
    Last edited by Phil of Loreauville; February 21, 2013 at 07:46 AM.

Default Re: Hey... Could I get a little feedback here?

Honestly, that actually looks pretty good. I like the format too. I might suggest a menu of all factions at the top for ease of selection, along with unit titles being displayed below their picture vs having to scroll over it to see the title.

Not sure how you'll work the AoR units, but shouldn't be too hard.

You certainly have my endorsement!

Edit: You've got a typo on the Arbalester's unit page
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Looks nice and clean. Could definitely be useful.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

That is a great idea and is defintely needed.

One suggestion though. I think it would be really useful to put when each unit first becomes available to recruit, seeing as that's one of the main features of RR

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    Honestly, that actually looks pretty good. I like the format too. I might suggest a menu of all factions at the top for ease of selection, along with unit titles being displayed below their picture vs having to scroll over it to see the title.

Not sure how you'll work the AoR units, but shouldn't be too hard.

You certainly have my endorsement!

Edit: You've got a typo on the Arbalester's unit page
    I'm sure there are LOTS of typos. Just give me a heads-up as you find them.
    And yes, I agree about the menu. I do plan on some major changes in that respect.
    Forgive my ignorance ---- what's AoR?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    That is a great idea and is defintely needed.

One suggestion though. I think it would be really useful to put when each unit first becomes available to recruit, seeing as that's one of the main features of RR
    Good idea. But I'll have to really do some digging for that. I'm obviously not familiar with each and every faction.
    And since I'm getting some responses, I'm going to just ask a couple of questions.
    There's a few things I could really use that I think would expedite things. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
    For starters is there some tool out there that would help with viewing the unit data of the EDU file? It's very time consuming bouncing back and forth between appz to copy info.
    And is there a way to run MTW2 in the background? You know, like between turns? If I could minimize or Alt-tab out while it keeps running it would greatly speed things up.
    And one more thing................ Is there a program that would let me do multiple screen captures during the game to save them to the clipboard? It takes forever to [printscreen] and alt-tab out to get to GIMP and save the screen capture then go back into MTW2 and do it all over again for just 1 image.
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil of Loreauville View Post
    And is there a way to run MTW2 in the background? You know, like between turns? If I could minimize or Alt-tab out while it keeps running it would greatly speed things up.
    I alt+tab all the time out of MTW2, so go for it.

AoR are Area of Recruitment units. These are units that don't belong to a specific faction but are recruitable by any faction who controls that area, such as the Magyar Cavalry, English Longbowmen (not the retinue ones), Lusitanian Javelinmen, etc. You could probably just include these units with the faction whose region begins with them to save the hassle though. Also, a mercenaries section with available dates and regions available might be handy too, although that's getting into a lot trickier of information.
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

I alt+tab all the time out of MTW2, so go for it.
    That's the problem. The game stops when you do that. If I could alt-tab out between turns and have the game continue while I do some text-editing or something, it could speed things up a little.

AoR are Area of Recruitment units. These are units that don't belong to a specific faction but are recruitable by any faction who controls that area, such as the Magyar Cavalry, English Longbowmen (not the retinue ones), Lusitanian Javelinmen, etc. You could probably just include these units with the faction whose region begins with them to save the hassle though. Also, a mercenaries section with available dates and regions available might be handy too, although that's getting into a lot trickier of information.
    OK, gotcha.
    Yes, I've been thinking about that. I'm concerned with just figuring out which units are area specific. I've thought about maybe a section just for those units maybe.
    I don't know, I'll think of something.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

That's the problem. The game stops when you do that. If I could alt-tab out between turns and have the game continue while I do some text-editing or something, it could speed things up a little.
    Set the game to run in a window in the config file

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Set the game to run in a window in the config file
    Ok, thanks.
    I don't think I'd ever play the game like that, but now it's quicker to get in and out of the game.

Now, how about a program that I can access the unit data in the EDU? I've tried BrandonM's app, but it just didn't work. It would only display the first 127 units.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

A comparison chart would be useful, where all the units with stats visible are in one long database, or at least all units in each faction with their stats visible. This way you could quickly view whether it is worth recruiting one type over another, without having to remember all the stats of the last one you looked at.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

For the availabilty dates you don't have to play the game with every faction. You need to go to export_descr_buildings, look at what event_counters are required by what units and then go to data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_events.txt to see when the events occur.
    The timescale is 1 turn/year and the start date is 1100, the event date being shown in years since game start.
    I would guess that you don't have to look at all campaigns since unit unlocking events probably still happen in the same year for all campaigns.

About the alt-tab, go to stainless_steel_knigdoms.cfg and add

Code:
    windowed = true
    borderless_window = true
    to the [video] section.

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    A comparison chart would be useful, where all the units with stats visible are in one long database, or at least all units in each faction with their stats visible. This way you could quickly view whether it is worth recruiting one type over another, without having to remember all the stats of the last one you looked at.
    Yes. I know what you mean. I want to have the unit cards with just the pertinent info like attack, defense, etc.
    I wish I knew php so I could put everything in a database. Maybe this is a good excuse to finally break down and learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by axnsan View Post
    About the alt-tab, go to stainless_steel_knigdoms.cfg and add

Code:
    windowed = true
    borderless_window = true
    to the [video] section.
    Yeah, it works pretty good like that.

For the availabilty dates you don't have to play the game with every faction. You need to go to export_descr_buildings, look at what event_counters are required by what units and then go to data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_events.txt to see when the events occur.
    The timescale is 1 turn/year and the start date is 1100, the event date being shown in years since game start.
    I would guess that you don't have to look at all campaigns since unit unlocking events probably still happen in the same year for all campaigns.
    Checking out these files.............................
    I don't suppose there's a way to "fast forward" to these dates in the game?

Not really... but I don't see why you would need that.

Graeme's Avatar Tiro

Looks nice, Ive bookmarked it and will deffo be using it as a resource.

Maybe one nice thing to add if you have the time would be the prerequisite building of a unit, eg Varangian Guard - Mayors palace.

Not really... but I don't see why you would need that.
    The way I'm getting the unit info, as well as making sure I'm using the correct images for each unit is viewing the data in the game (i.e.-- right-clicking on each unit to bring up the info-box). I've already figured out that just because a certain unit has certain id in the game doesn't mean it has that same name for it's description or file or image.
    Take the Archer unit. It may be called an archer in the game, but the description or accompanying image may be may be labeled archer_militia or levy-archer, depending on the faction.
    So I'm applying ton's of cheats to be able to bring up the needed buildings to access these units and in turn be able to view the descriptions right from the game. So, in the first turn of the game I can access several units. Problem is, the units that come about due to specific events aren't accessible ----- yet.
    Yes, it's a lot of trouble. But no more for me than pouring through all those txt files of 1000+ lines of code.
    But if you can think of a better way. I'm all for it.

Once again, I plead......................................
    Is there a program that can used to view and/or edit individual unit data?

Well you can view the text/exprot_units.txt file for descriptions and the ui/units/faction and ui/unit_info/faction for pictures.

If you want to have them buildable in campaign just to make sure, set all event dates to 1.

Well you can view the text/exprot_units.txt file for descriptions and the ui/units/faction and ui/unit_info/faction for pictures.

If you want to have them buildable in campaign just to make sure, set all event dates to 1.
    The export_units.txt file has been a huge help. As a matter of fact, I'm just taking the descriptions and copying and pasting them into the html doc.
    But the pictures folders are a different story! The displayed image may or may not be in the respective factions folder. I can't find the unit card for the Carroccio Standard of Venice to save my life! Neither the images for the Venice militia cavalry. That's what I'm trying say. Just because the description of the unit says "Mounted Sergeant", it doesn't mean the image that is displayed is mounted_sergeant.tga. Or in a couple of cases, the image is located in a totally different folder. The unit card of the german mounted crossbow is actually located in the "Milan" folder.
    I just want to make sure I get it right.
    But I do like your idea about changing all the event dates to 1. I never thought of that.

Trinity's Avatar Libertus

And one more thing................ Is there a program that would let me do multiple screen captures during the game to save them to the clipboard? It takes forever to [printscreen] and alt-tab out to get to GIMP and save the screen capture then go back into MTW2 and do it all over again for just 1 image.
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
    I use FRAPS for screen captures. It is supposed to run in background so it's light on RAM, it saves to it's own file in Pictures, and BONUS it's free.
    http://www.fraps.com/

I think you should copy the FAUST's format, or that of the upgraded version of it made for TATW. Those lists allowed you to quickly see all the stats of the units and compare them to one another as well as to those of other factions.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast