Thread: How is descr_projectile calculated?

Apani's Avatar Senator

Default How is descr_projectile calculated?

Hello, I was wondering if there is any guide for choosing the date values in descr_projectile.

Default Re: How is descr_projectile calculated?

There's a number of explanations/formulas at the beginning of the text file.

What's your exact question?

Apani's Avatar Senator

I guess you're referring to RC 2.0 MEDIEVAL WIP info. The document explains how the names of descr_projectile entries are formed (like average_mounted_war_arrow); what it doesn't explain is how the values for these entries are calculated.

My exact question is, how do you decide that an average_missile_arrow_fiery has a radius of 0.1, a mass of 0.04 and an accuracy_vs_units of 0.11? I can see a pattern, but I don't know it exactly.

I was referring to the start of descr_projectile.txt, so the range basically. The guide mentioned by you does have some valuable info as well, if not clear numbers on most projectile values.

Of course I cannot speak for PB here, who decided on those values, but I can have a guess on them.

The base radius for any arrow is 0.1, so he didn't change anything here. A higher value makes the arrow wider, but without changes to the model, it starts looking ridiculous, at least if you follow a specific arrow on it's path and it 'hits' something.

The base mass for arrows is around 0.05. This is pretty unrealistic (1 mass is about 100kg) but required by the game to be in that magnitude in order to properly display phisical effects of the arrow upon a hit. More mass ~ more impact. Higher values are chosen to increase the physical feedback from a volley.

accuracy_vs_units is probably the most important stat, as is changes the actual accuracy of a unit it is assigned to. Thus, an elite_ missile will be more accurate than a peasant_ one. Lower values ~ higher accuracy. The exact change by each 'name factor' of the projectile is known to PB, but you can probably deduce some from the descr_projectile.txt file.