Thread: Making non-steam ship move like steam/make naval projectiles flammable like rockets

Default Making non-steam ship move like steam/make naval projectiles flammable like rockets

I'm trying to make the 122-gun non-steam ship move by steam, and not rely on the wind. I tried going into naval_stats and changing the "sail" value to "steam_propeller", but it didn't change anything. It still needed the wind to move. Any way to make this work?

I'm also trying to make the naval cannonball for the 122-gun ship flammable. I even tried copying the rocket gun type and projectile and used the renamed copy, but it still only exploded and didn't immediately set the ship on fire. How would I make it incendiary?

P.S.
    Yes, I AM making a super-ship. I like shooting things down and blowing them up and burning them down.
    Never blame computers for they always do what they are told.
    - Me

Praepositus
    Citizen

Default Re: Making non-steam ship move like steam/make naval projectiles flammable like rockets

Are you sure that you have set-up your mod correctly? You have a user-script and the pack is in your Data Folder.

Default Re: Making non-steam ship move like steam/make naval projectiles flammable like rockets

rm2twf: to make projectile causing fires look into projectile table - after a damage column there are three columns which contains text: low-medium-high,low-medium-high, impact-impact_light - you are looking for the second column with values low/medium/hight - all naval guns have this value set to low (or have nothing there) - if you set it to high - projectiles will have incendiary effect... just be carefull, per my tests, one salvo is enough to light up enemy ship and it will burn down pretty quickly...

7 columns near the true false boolean in the middle of the naval tables determine the ships turn ability then heading forward skip 2 the next 7 determine wind direction.

Easiest way wd be to copy numbers from steam to your 122.

But why you want too - eek i spend all my time making ships move like Sail should.....

all vanilla ship imho all move like speed boats.

EDIT: i just read u want a super ship thats cool good luck , i like the napalm thrower idea ......

what are you working on? an War of Worlds scenario within Napoleonic Era with Alien ships masked as a 122gun Ship of the line?

@ultimation:
    Yes, I am sure, as I have modded the campaign and created my own units with success. I only needed help with incendiaries and make them move like steam.

@JaM and Dogmeat:
    Thanks a lot for your help. I'm about to try it now. And one more question:
    In Empire, I was able to make a ship a trading one, but I forgot how. And I'm wondering if it is the same in Napoleon because having a 140-gun napalm-launching steam-propelled trade ship would be awesome!

EDIT:
    The flaming projectiles work like a charm, maybe TOO much like a charm. A couple hits and the ship explodes; haha not quite what I had in mind... Would changing the "high" value to "medium" make it less likely to catch fire?

@Dogmeat I'm not sure if it is your wording, but I didn't find that changing those values near the boolean to make any difference, but the columns after the speed column change the speed at different wind directions. I'm still not exactly sure which column does what, but it is that general area after the speed column.

I am going to make the projectile model nulled out and have the rocket trail so it looks like a flamethrower!
    Last edited by rm2twf; April 23, 2010 at 11:41 PM.
    - Me

rm2 im trying to update PFM with number unkown's so explanations are a bit clearer, first attempts sends PFM fubar so il see what master erassmus says i stuffed up and try again shorty.

then i can point out specifically the column numbers cause naval unit stats table make your eyes bleed from the size , numbers might just make orientation/navigation a little easier.

on trade power i cant remember what column it is either but ive read posts before that named it maybe a search of ETW mod worskhops wd track it down.

Your firebreathing monster sounds cool or hot as it were, i got my wish list for an uber ship - Captains Nemo's Nautilus. but i reckon on about a 3% chance its going to be possible.

Libertus

i did something simmilar with the 140gun model, right at the end of the naval_stats beside propulsion type there is a section of binary code (all 0 and 1), open up the orginal naval stats from the vinalia and look at what trade ships have, then change the code in your ship to match

also if you want to reduce the power of your flame thorwers consider just making one row of guns for each broadside with your super gun!

hope this helps

Thanks man! I thought I had already tried that before but it didn't work. But now it does work! Thanks!
    - Me

Libertus

just rember if the upkeep cost is to high on your unit its cost inefficent

My new land units cost 4 to make and 2 to upkeep. My naval units cost 8 to make and 5 to upkeep. Its very cheep - almost free! Right now in my campaign, my navy controls all the seas and trade (British navy is nothing but drift wood now), and my armies are taking every single settlement and lose about 2 people whenever the fight.

It's fun to have control...
    - Me