Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Total War Multi-Player Strategy Guide for Newbs

Major Hemorrhoid's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Napoleon Total War Multi-Player Strategy Guide for Newbs

Good God dmcheatw, BM (bowel movement)! Why don't you just say you went take a (damn, I got sensored)! We're all adults here after all!

I agree with you about rockets, Scipio_Africanus. They're so weak they can almost be ignored (or dodged) while you approach your enemy's army. The weakness which will be inherant in an army which contains four rocket batteries is far more damaging to your opponent's chances for victory than the rockets normally are for your chances for victory!
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; May 25, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

I disagree, while four rocket batteries dont get many kills they will significantly lower opponents morale. Although I myself dont ever bring more than 1 rocket battery, and think 4 is sort of a waste of time, depending on what map you are on They can prove very dangerous. Ever tried attacking an arty camper on pyramids? Your guys will rout incredibaly quickly when tired AND being bombarded by rockets

Civis

My very first 2v2 I played online my opponents both had rocket batteries, I think 4 each. It was on the map Dresdan and they did do quite a bit of damage over time and a lot of morale damage. But the most effective use against me was constantly making my camera shake (which I have now disabled) and I find rocket batteries more effective against cavalry.

Personally I would prefer howitzers, but the rockets do have their uses and they are definitely better than Empires rockets.

If you think your army will suffer too much damage from rockets while advancing on your opponent's army underworld965, it's easy to just pull your army back until it's out of range of your opponent's rockets and flip on the television until your opponent's underpowered army either attacks you or your opponent rage quits!
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; May 25, 2010 at 07:15 PM.

A big THX for your info on this topic I love Napoleon and Empire multiplayer, but I need much more practise to come up to scratch this has helped as they say practise makes perfect.

You're welcome antz. Of course nothing can beat actually playing the game against human opponent's online to hone your strategical and tactical expertise.

this should be stickyed

MODS please sticky this epic thread

Thanks for your support terminator acheron and Major Hemorrhoid's Brother! I don't think the admins are going to "sticky" this thread though. I think they're too busy with other more important endeavors.

Still, you never know!

DunkFunk's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by underworld965 View Post
    I disagree, while four rocket batteries dont get many kills they will significantly lower opponents morale. Although I myself dont ever bring more than 1 rocket battery, and think 4 is sort of a waste of time, depending on what map you are on They can prove very dangerous. Ever tried attacking an arty camper on pyramids? Your guys will rout incredibaly quickly when tired AND being bombarded by rockets
    wouldnt the morale debuff be the same no matter what arty you bring?
    Never argue with an idiot;
    He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=414297

Quote Originally Posted by DunkFunk View Post
    wouldnt the morale debuff be the same no matter what arty you bring?
    Yes, but rockets spread out so they effect a lot of units.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

DunkFunk's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Yes, but rockets spread out so they effect a lot of units.
    I have seen rockets who on screen appeared to have scored a hit but the unit suffered no casualties and hence no debuff. I have seen this two with howies but when you consider that a rocket troop fires i think 4 rockets per stand and i think they have 4 stands you would expect to keep it up nearly 100% of the time.

however i think the rockets power lies in taking out other artillery.
    Never argue with an idiot;
    He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=414297

Rockets are best for taking out cav they also work with taking out art. I only use them agianst inf when they are engaged, as it gives them a moral shock.
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid's Brother; May 31, 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Really useful thread thank you.

I have one (newbish) question I thought I would ask here rather than start a new thread, I haven't read all of this thread so it might have been mentioned.

It's basically about skirmishers. Is it best to keep your line inf. behind your skirmish line until their skirmish line is down? Then if theirs is stronger than mine I will normally advance my line inf. and then advance my skirmish line to stay in front of the line, is that the right thing to do?

good question Hazey, You should keep you line inf behind your light inf to protect them from enemy cav charges. once your light inf are out of ammo, or very depleted you should move up your line inf to fight then enemy inf/lights. But at this point you shouldn't keep your lights in front of your inf, because they will be caught in a cross fire and will take a ton of unnecessary loses. What I tend to do is put them on the flanks, they will be of much more use there, and you can also use them for flanking. Make sure to have some cav back up though, becasue your opponent will most likely try to cav charge them. Hope this helps, feel free to ask any moe questions you might have

That's some good advice Major Hemorroid's Brother, however if you put your light infantry or skirmishers into light infantry mode, they kneel down and your line infantry can shoot over them. I usually back up each of my kneeling skimisher units with a line infantry unit in a one to two rank formation. This makes it relatively difficult for my opponent to successfully charge and rout my skirmishers (especially if my skirmishers have deployed their stakes) as long as I keep a few lancer squadrons in reserve to counter-charge and plug any holes my opponent might punch in my lines.

That is a good strategy bro, But when you do that often times people will move up their line inf into range of your lights, then your inf behind will take a lot of casualties without being able to fire back.

In that case I simply reposition my line infantry (fall back) out of my opponent's light infantry's range and continue to pound my opponent's infantry with my howitzer batteries while my skirmishers "pin" his infantry in place, Major Hemorrhoid's Brother! By doing this, my line infantry can still support my skirmishers in the event that my opponent decides to mount a cavalry and/or infantry charge into my skirmisher line, and my infantry can fight a "delaying action" while my artillery blasts my opponent's army into oblivion!
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; July 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM.