Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Total War Multi-Player Strategy Guide for Newbs

Default Re: Napoleon Total War Multi-Player Strategy Guide for Newbs

I've found that the best way to beat light inf spam is to put the rule "5 light inf max"

Here's a question that nobody has asked or touched on.

As a beginner, is it best to use small funds, medium funds, or large funds? I noticed all the builds are using the most funds. But when I started using a lot of troops, I am unable to keep up with the micromanagment. I found medium to be ok - but even then I still will find myself overwhelmed. Is it best to start small to learn the fundamentals and then move up? Asking because nobody has mentioned it so it almost seems like there is something wrong with it.

And then a second question I have is that as a battle rages, I start to find I have troubles seeing as the smoke from the muskets start blanketing the battlefield. Thats awesome for accuracy, but I have a feeling that other people turn these settings down and now it's a blind man vs a man with 20/20 vision. So can you and do most people turn these settings down? Or is it all dependent on the host? IE, I am host and have the highest setting, therefore everyone else does. Or is it individual choice?

(And if I can and should turn it down, can you turn it back up to watch the replay so it creates a more epic battle??)

you have some very valid questions labtec600. I started with single player in most of my games, so managing a full stack of units has never been a big deal. With practice you will get the hang of it, and seeing as most games hosted are large funds there should be ample people to practice with.

Yes even I must admit to have turned my settings down for multiplayer because of the smoke, I'd like to remind you though that you don't need to turn all of your setings down. Only the ones that cause the bellowing black smoke keeping unit detail and building detail on high settings will not effect your visibility

Major Hemorrhoid's Avatar Senator

Damn Major Hemorrhoid's Brother, I must be retarded! I have all of my settings on ultra high so seconds into any multi-player game I'm blind as a bat! After spending over $5,000 USD on a pimped out computer system, I'll be damned if I'm going to turn anything down either! Sometimes there's so much damn smoke I can't see and I have to just move my units around by feel, and still I keep winning! (being "rage quit" on is probably a better way to put it I guess)
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; May 11, 2010 at 08:21 PM.

See, this is why I am frustrated as hell playing this game.

Can someone explain to me why my Prussian Foot Guards who were given the "Inspire" option by my general were losing in hand to hand combat with some British Rifle units (long range sniper units) inside a building? Shouldn't they have steamrolled over them seeing that every other skirmish unit is murdered in hand to hand???

What am I missing? Does being inside a building give some gigantic bonus to the person in it???

yes, buildings give a HUGE moral bonus. The best way of dealing with them is a unit of art

Quote Originally Posted by Major Hemorrhoid's Brother View Post
    yes, buildings give a HUGE moral bonus. The best way of dealing with them is a unit of art
    What about the buildings that can't be destroyed? Some of the small one story farm houses with a fence along the outside cannot take any damage. Does the constant bombardment make the units break faster while in a building?

buildings that can't be destoryed? I have never come across that. What map? In me experience every buildnig will come down, even briges and buildings that can't hold units

Yeah - on waterloo. The buildings where the defender (starts on the hill) starts. It may be because the howitzers just cant do it. I am thinking that Howitzers are not the artillery to bring on for the attacker on that map - thinking horse artillery would be best.

yes, regular art are much better agianst buildings then howitzers.

Some large buildings are pretty difficult to destroy with any artillery, and next to impossible to destroy with howitzers! Major Hemorrhoid's Brother is correct though, cannonballs destroy buildings MUCH faster than howitzers, mortars, or rockets.
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; May 16, 2010 at 06:19 AM.

I have discoverd and love Horse Artillery.

Horse artillery is even more useful and versatile now that it takes regular artillery half an hour to move 50 yards!

Why does my artillery suddenly stop working and the guys dont fire?

Why are my line infantry so damn stupid that they cant turn a 180 degrees when they're being charged at from behind?

blonkers1234's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Labtec600 View Post
    Why does my artillery suddenly stop working and the guys dont fire?

Why are my line infantry so damn stupid that they cant turn a 180 degrees when they're being charged at from behind?
    Turn them around yourself? game shouldn't do everything for you.

Your artillery stops firing if it loses line of sight on it's target, or has no line of sight on any target if you have auto-fire enabled Labtec600. Also, unlike many RTS games, your units normally won't react without orders (except for auto-fire and similar automatic settings). This is why micro-managing your units is so important in Napoleon Total War.
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; May 17, 2010 at 04:11 PM.

Believe it or not though Labtec600, I think your howitzers can fire at any enemy unit that ANY of your units has a line of sight on! I think your forward units use their radios to call in coordinates of the enemy to your artillery units!
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; July 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Anyone else think that this may be a good thread for the admins to "sticky"? I realize that most of you TWC members are FAR too advanced to benefit from my "Newb Guide", but I have noticed quite a few visitor's checking it out. I think that after I tweaked it according to the feedback I got from other TWC members, it turned out to be a half ways decent guide which "newbs" could us as a "starting point" when just beginning to play Napoleon Total War.
    Last edited by Major Hemorrhoid; May 22, 2010 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Labtec600 View Post
    Thanks for the hell again Major.

How about some of the "if they bring weapon A, a good counter is ______". I had a player brings rockets and just bombard me - but found that really they didnt do much damage. Whats the best counter for this? And are those weapons really as powerful as they seem or more show?
    i pull back to my own red line which is more often than not just out of rocket range, then i go eat a sandwich, or have a BM, etc. if, when i return, the game is still in progress and he hasn't moved, i rush him and win. if he is in the process of attacking i counter attack and win. on rare occasions i return to find i've lost the fight, but it comes with the territory.
    He who travels in search of knowledge, walks in the path of god. -Muhammad

{GODS}Scipio_Africanus's Avatar Ordinarius
    IN MOUNT OLYMPUS, heaven, hades and valhalla.

They are more powerful the closer you get but still not that great.. I would just have to say that a good game of dodging rockets can be made. I used to play with my enemy by dodging their rockets as i walked towards him. Pretty funny