Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum II Presents: The Roman Legions

Marcus_Antonius's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Roma Surrectum II Presents: The Roman Legions

Again awesome, awesome preview, I was just wondering what was the thinking behind the two praetorian legions of 1.6a being replaced with early and late praetorians? Oh and how will they be triggered?

The question now is: when is the official release?

Pwn or be pwnd

Marcus_Antonius's Avatar Foederatus

That would be an ecumenical matter!

Jaw dropping; are you sure this is not CA's official RTW 2?

Are rebel Praetorians part of a Roman rebellion / civil war scenario or simply to flesh out the unit list for all eventualities such as minor city rebellions (if that makes sense)

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post

Are rebel Praetorians part of a Roman rebellion / civil war scenario or simply to flesh out the unit list for all eventualities such as minor city rebellions (if that makes sense)
    Well there will be a massive civil war when you play as the romans, so i guess they will probably part of that.

Absolutely amazing job guys - well done and thank you so much for putting in the effort to make such a fantastic mod. Can't wait for the release!

there is no way to have caesar's XIII as in the "rome" tv series, made by HBO and assesorated by many universities? i kinda prefer it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PeN1k9AAMg

Part of the civil war - basically if you lose Rome (which is likely), a couple of nasty praetorian legions will get spawned there.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Quote Originally Posted by tryadelion View Post
    there is no way to have caesar's XIII as in the "rome" tv series, made by HBO and assesorated by many universities? i kinda prefer it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PeN1k9AAMg
    Τhey already have it!!!!!!

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

but they use late legion equipment!

the helms are not historical, in caesar era there weren't "so many" imperial helms.. i see the helms of the serie more historical and nice to see., and the red coats on the left arm give them an aspect of a lite legion, as they were... the legion that crossed the rubicon and recieved more rewards from caesar... the legion of caesar...

just a tought eh?
    Last edited by tryadelion; April 20, 2010 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Part of the civil war - basically if you lose Rome (which is likely), a couple of nasty praetorian legions will get spawned there.
    It sounds like i might actually have the possibility of losing a campaign in a total war game if this rebellion is as bad as it sounds.

the helms are not historical, in caesar era there weren't imperial helms... there were half century later! i see the helms of the serie more historical and nice, and the red coats on the left arm give them an aspect of a lite legion, as they were... the legion that crossed the rubicon and recieved more rewards from caesar... the legion of caesar...
    You could mod it in yourself when RS2 is released if you feel that strongly about it.

i'll give a try...

but i still se the gallic helm too many "deformed" for a early caesar legion., i se the rome ones more sharp on the cheekguard (and more stylish), and the back form is very similar to the attic helm in the show, used by the romans to create their helms, such as teh romman-attico used by commanders.

So a Civil War is 'built in' to the Roman campaign? That's very exciting, any other hints / details you can reveal? Are certain legions likely to be more rebellious and such like?

the helms are not historical, in caesar era there weren't "so many" imperial helms.. i see the helms of the serie more historical and nice to see., and the red coats on the left arm give them an aspect of a lite legion, as they were... the legion that crossed the rubicon and recieved more rewards from caesar... the legion of caesar...

just a tought eh?
    We have limited unit slots, so we're trying to show a spread of styles and armour across the whole late republican / early imperial era. So this unit is also a unit that took part in the battles of the year of the 4 emperors, the Dacian wars and so on.

In terms of the civil war it's basically triggered when you reach a certain threshold of settlements owned plus a random factor. Any regions can rebel usually close together geographically, but Rome most likely of all. The idea is to simulate the sort of thing that happened during around Augustus' time, with your faction leader becoming Imperator afterwards, and acquiring a number of traits that were associated with the emperor's offices - imperium maius, tribunicia potestas, etc.
    Last edited by tone; April 20, 2010 at 09:00 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

So a Civil War is 'built in' to the Roman campaign? That's very exciting, any other hints / details you can reveal? Are certain legions likely to be more rebellious and such like?
    It wont happen if the romans are controlled by the ai, but if you are playing as the romans i think when you reach a certain number of provinces terrible things will happen. I think you will lose a whole load of regions to the roman rebels+rebel legions will spawn such as the praetorian ones that were mentioned. There is a post by tone somewhere that explains it better, but i cant remember where it is.

EDIT: Tone already posted above me, well you can read my post for no reason muhahahahahah.
    Last edited by General Brittanicus; April 20, 2010 at 09:03 AM.

okay.. but still...

just for if you want to think it, here's the pattern where i would create it. as it's a real roman commander era helm, with the same form as the show ones (except for the visor and the cheekguard, that should be cutted for infantry

Quote Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
    The question now is: when is the official release?
    When its done ^^ Dont push them, its better to have a stable mod that a mod with bugs, give them time They do work of great master, its hard but the final result will live up to your expectations
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

the helms are not historical, in caesar era there weren't imperial helms... there were half century later! i see the helms of the serie more historical and nice, and the red coats on the left arm give them an aspect of a lite legion, as they were... the legion that crossed the rubicon and recieved more rewards from caesar... the legion of caesar...
    I understand what you are saying, but YOU have to understand that RS2 covers roughly a 300 year period...a period of time over which a great many things changed. We have depicted Legions as they were 'at some point' in their history. The Tenth Legion was even named differently earlier in it's history...in fact all of the Legions in RS2 have the LAST recorded name they were known by. Why? Well, I just felt it was only fair to present them with the names and titles they had earned.

As for armor and helmets and equipment, let's settle something here and now. In RTW there would be no way to present Legions with their 'historical' armor and equipment in 200BC, 100BC, 31BC, 14BC, 100AD. There are not enough units in any game to represent all the changes that may be presented. And some of these Legions had 500+ year histories.......they certainly were not the same in 100BC as they were in 475AD. So basically, Tone chose for each Legion a 'representative time' and portrayed them that way. It isn't 'wrong' or unhistorical...it's a 'choice'.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

sorry. i understand. i apologise for what i said, i'll play it, with helms and coats or without

Valiant The Brave's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    It wont happen if the romans are controlled by the ai, but if you are playing as the romans i think when you reach a certain number of provinces terrible things will happen. I think you will lose a whole load of regions to the roman rebels+rebel legions will spawn such as the praetorian ones that were mentioned. There is a post by tone somewhere that explains it better, but i cant remember where it is.

EDIT: Tone already posted above me, well you can read my post for no reason muhahahahahah.
    So expanding to rapidly causes big empire failures :d

'They thought i was stupid but i proved them' Phillip J. Fry
    Futurama, mine favorite show!

Correction, It is now My Little Pony.