Thread: [TGW AAR] Tannenberg, 1914 (COMPLETED)

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Icon10 [TGW AAR] Tannenberg, 1914 (COMPLETED)

TANNENBERG, 1914
    (single battle AAR)
    From the Diary of
    Feldwebel Oskar Renn
    XX German Army Corps, 37th Div, 2nd Bat, 5th Co.

Aug 17, 1914
    We are still drunk with our recent victory. FM Prittwitz's ordered the XXth to retreat to . But with help from Gen. von Falk we turned instead and won a victory over 3 Russian divisions at Stalluponen. We took nearly 3000 Russian POWs, before falling back to . Our company only suffered 5 wounded.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Aug 19
    Samsonov's VIII Army is approaching East Prussia south of the . We have been ordered to move to intercept, then dig in.

Aug 22
    A brief skirmish – outside of Neide, a cyclist from 2nd Co Burshcher von Weissenstein ran into Russian patrol and fired on the Russians who were eating lunch in the village. They captured a map that showed Russian position, and then quickly rode out. The Russian shelled the village, then occupied and looted the town. At the same time, two regiments of Russian infantry conducted a raid on our lines in the pouring rain 8 miles to the south at …we saw none of the action, but we could hear the artillery. They were pushed back, but more I have not heard.watch in HD

Aug 24

For days, we have traded artillery shots with the VIIIth Army. While we hold the middle, not far from the historic battle site of Tannenberg, General Mackensen is moving the XVII Corps around to flank their line. The problem we face is that while we have entrenched, so have many of the Russians. They must be unearthed. General Ludendorff has ordered us to attack on the 25th. We will attack, then retreat quickly, and hopefully draw them from their positions as they give flight. Mackensen will then descend on their position. The men are eager. We have seen very little action to date aside from . They are green. I am green.

Aug 25
    Attack has been delayed. All day, I prepared the men, scrounging for extra liquor rations. No reason was given. Hauptmann Muntz is a good man but he is a drunk. I inquired about the delay, but he was not forthcoming. A fight broke out between Unteroffizier Hoch and Gefreiter Gerber. Charges will be brought upon them both, but after the battle.

Aug 25
    It is evening, and we have new orders. The maps those cyclists found has changed Ludendorff’s mind. He learned of a gap that has opened between the Russian center and left flank and has ordered us, the 37th, to attack that gap. We go tonight, at 02:30.

watch in HD

Aug 27
    Most of my company is gone. We lost ▓. The Russians were far stronger than anticipated, and the damned gap did not even exist. I was wounded in battle, but only slightly…enough to cause discomfort, but not enough to send me home…the worst kind of wound. Hoch and Gerber are wounded, Gerber mortally, saving me much paperwork. The Hauptmann was killed…I saw this first hand. The Oberleutnant is missing, but we think he was killed in an explosion. It was complete chaos, made worse when the expected full moon was clouded over.

With the whistles, and the artillery barrage, we left our trenches and marched across the fields. About 2000 meters from their line, their howitzers hit, lighting up the clouded night sky. We pushed on, quickening our pace. To our left, the Russian riflemen took position in the woods, although we did not know this until it was too late. Truly, it is hard to be sure what exactly happened. We charged their line, anticipating little resistance. Instead, we were met by fixed emplacements, and heavy machine gun fire. Caught in a murderous crossfire, they were a scythe to our wheat. I only fired one shot, and I was hit by shrapnel during the retreat.

I have heard, here in the hospital, that the battle was a victory. Mackensen’s army hit the Russian flank soon after we were repelled. The glory of the day goes to the XVII, while XX Corps rots in the field. To add to the insult, the word is being spread that the 37th acted dishonorably, and fled at the slightest sign of Russian resistance. It has all left a very bad taste in my mouth, and .

FIN

This AAR and videos use Thoragoros' "The Great War" mod (Alpha Release).

Cheers!
    Last edited by Nanny de Bodemloze; April 23, 2010 at 04:03 PM.

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [TGW AAR] Tannenberg, 1914

Have some rep sir!
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Well Done!

Looks good can't wait .

+rep

"Where in hell is the rear?" -George Armstrong Custer, 1864

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

good stuff!

Dude all the movies you do i get SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!! HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO GET TIME AND DEDICATION FOR THAT PIECE OF ART!
    Also wath mod you use for not appearing the banners and that stuff in the battlefield?

Roloc's Avatar Biarchus

Epic. The end looked like Band of Brothers. I'll look forward for this. Have some rep!

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by wizzflowpt View Post
    Dude all the movies you do i get SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!! HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO GET TIME AND DEDICATION FOR THAT PIECE OF ART!
    Also wath mod you use for not appearing the banners and that stuff in the battlefield?
    Hi wizz - lol - my wife is a saint, that's all I can say. Oh ya...and she's a Civ4 addict...it helps. You don't need a mod to turn off banners...in the in-game menu, you can turn off nearly everything - radar, flags, fire radious...the remainder gets cropped out in my video editing program.

AAR update hopefully in 2 or 3 days. cheers and thanks everyone!

Thanks for the info

SirNat's Avatar Libertus

nice vid
    I problem thou- it's quite hard to tell the difference between Russian and german troops.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by SirNat View Post
    nice vid
    I problem thou- it's quite hard to tell the difference between Russian and german troops.
    Germans - use Gilette!
    Russians - lost their razors

I see what you mean though...working with the limitations of an alpha mod...with the written portion of the AAR will come a full battle video, and I'll work to make it a bit clearer.

Artifex

Default Re: [TGW AAR] Tannenberg, 1914 (COMPLETED)

AAR complete! See original post for the whole thing, and a new video

cheers!

Nanny

Damm
    Just speechless...

Love it! Very atmospheric Just wondering - how do the trenches work, do you have to arrange all your men facing forwards and backwards in rows to set them up before the battle or does it work differently to vanilla?

Artifex

you have it right...I set them up back to back to start

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

3 Completed NTW AARs already? haha, certainly doing your bit for the NTW forums!

Very impressive yet again! Your work is always of such high quality and standard.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Dayum....

I didn't even think there were NTW mods yet!
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

BanaanBert's Avatar Civis

great, no excellent AAR!

Orontid's Avatar Civis

Brilliant...just brilliant. I cannot tell you how amazed I am of your video-making skills. You must tell me your secrets.

Oh, and +rep.
    "There's only one word for that - magic darts." - Sid Waddell
    "Inspiration is for amateurs. I just get to work." - Chuck Close

[RM + GUAM] The Celtic Pilgrimage: A Scottish Migration AAR