Thread: Can anyone help me find this 40K story? [Resolved]

Default Can anyone help me find this 40K story? [Resolved]

Hi there,

I recently remembered an old short story that I believe was in one of the White Dwarf mags from years ago. It had something to do with Imperial Guard Vox Casters, Wolf-like creatures (whether or not they were those Wolf Space Wolves people...) and it was kinda like a horror story set at night if I remember correctly. I think it also came accompanied with a bit of artwork that I believe depicted said Space Wolves wolf creatures tearing up people.

I really, really want to find it again. I will Rep whoever can find it for me!

Thanks!

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Can anyone help me find this 40K story?

It sounds like a scene from one of the Gaunt's Ghosts books, Traitor General unless I'm mistaken, where the Guardsmen get attacked by these creatures called Wire- Wolves, as well as Scent Hounds controlled by Chaos soldiers. It's not exactly set at night, but it's on a Chaos World so it's pretty dark and scary. The only reason i can think of for it being in White Dwarf though would be as a book extract. I'm probably wrong, but you never know. Whatever you do, though, DO NOT read the Guant's Ghosts books out of sequence. They are too good to be read out of order.

Failing that, how long ago was this White Dwarf, roughly speaking? I might own it

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

You might just have found it.

I keep getting contradicting memories of it, sometimes I remember parts of wolves attacking the Guards, others I get memories of it being Feral Space Wolves... ugh I can't remember!!

As for the White Dwarf, it was very old. I'd see 4 years ago at least.

I'll probably read Gaunt's Ghosts over summer so if I come across it I have you to thank!

Pleased i could help (if indeed i have.) If you start reading Gaunts Ghosts, it may take you a while before you reach the bit I was talking about, because Traitor general is the 8th book in the series. Trust me, it's worth it though.

I too kind of remember Space-Werewolfish 13th Space Wolf company appearing out of the mist and tearing apart heretics and therefore saving the Guard unit.

Gaunts Ghosts is very good, but I still think the short story in White Dwarf was about the 13th Company.
    Ugly as the north end of a pig going south

гурманска пљескавица пуњена ролованом пилетином и умотана у сланину, па све то у кајмаку

Ahh. That sounds a bit more like it. Gaunts Ghosts is still definitely worth a read, as are Dan Abnett's other books, Eisenhorn and Ravenor.

Yes, Oklop! You got it! That's definitely it!!!

Have some Rep. Now all I need to do is try and find it...

No problem man. I think it is the company that followed Russ in his quest to find a cure for the Emperor. They ended up in and around the Eye of Terror and supposedly still continue their quest, until one day Russ returns, heals the Empy, and galaxy wide asskickery ensues.

The exposure to the warp had "slight" influence on some more feral brothers who turned in to wulfen (werewolves) but it is also their defense mechanism against Chaos. They appear now and then to help brave but beleaguered Imperial forces (or so I think)

There is a short description here: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/13th_Great_Company

But now you made me interested in the story too, please if you find it PM me.
    Ugly as the north end of a pig going south

гурманска пљескавица пуњена ролованом пилетином и умотана у сланину, па све то у кајмаку