Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New! XAI 4.0 Discussion and feedback.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default Re: New! XAI 4.0 Discussion and feedback.

Hi guys
    Very busy times at work (telecom). Lots of rush jobs, and lots of OT available. I have to snag it while I can.

Most of the team are pretty busy with RL too, and I will be on vacation next week. I am going to re-release the 4.01a with some modifications. We will give them a try, but this will be the last I can work on it for a bit. You guys will need to do some good testing for me and be self sufficient.
    Last edited by xeryx; May 20, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

just some feedback from some extra playing time

pathfinding- once again I am very impressed with the crusader/jihad pathfinding. I am playing as the Byzantines and I have noticed that forts can throw off/trap Crusading armies. In my next play thru I probably won't build so many forts and be more accommodating to the Crusaders.

Is there a way to develop a pre-planned crusade/jihad route using a waypoint system? I'm not too clear on how the coordinate system works on the campaign map. It'd probably be easier if CA used tiles in their next game like Civ games do

diplomacy- every so often a faction will randomly declare war on me( even if I have good relations) I'll be able to make a ceasefire with them very easily but then the next turn they will declare war again. And again I can make a ceasefire with them very easily. After about 3 turns of this, this cycle stops and the faction doesn't declare war again. It doesn't really affect gameplay that much but it seems strange.
    Last edited by dknight237; May 22, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

There is randomness built into the AI. Much of it is based on global standings. I'll see about increasing this dificulty of ceasefires.

Pathfinding file affects the battle AI. Map Pathfinding is based on sight.

I am working on updating my computer sytems and network at the house for the next 2 weeks. Upgrading to win 7 and getting a viable gaming network going. I am also job hunting to find a job in Cary, North Carolina. So if anyone needs a technical guru pm me.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Hi Xeryx and team,

First off, Kudos to all you guys working on this mod, it's awesome! The game is unplayable without this mod.

I hope this hasn't already been asked:
    I was wondering... as a noob to modding and installation, would it be possible to create a mod-switched version of XAI with it's own installer? Something which just mods the default game and lets someone start playing right away?

I got it all installed and working, but it took all of my skillz
    ( I even used a customized short-cut to bypass problems with the game over-writing the config file: "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Launcher.exe" --io.file_first --io.disable_file_cache
    it seems to be working

Thanks again to all the modders and testers that put this together... it's just great

Troy

Yes installer would be very useful. I had still not received successful install Xai

A custom installer, is not practical at this time. As the mod gets incorprated into other mods, it will also not be needed. I have given Master Zuma and others permission to integrate as a submodders, and that will help greatly.

There are just too many variables, right now. I recommend sticking with mods that have it already integrated.

Has anyone tried to install XCAI and XBAI in the mod Thera? Whenever I try to launch the game, it gives me this error: "CA_LIBS Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit."

That error is not caused by XAI.

I am still working on Computer building and will be on Vacation again for 2 weeks. I will not be on the boards.

Once i return, I will have some time to catch back up. Sorry, I am just one man, and the other guys are busy for the summer...just like me and you should be.
    Last edited by xeryx; June 12, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Been playing with 4.0 some more.

I was attacked in mutli-walled city (what was CA thinking about? Their AI can't really handle one gate) but anyways the AI builds 4 rams. Their assault got slaughtered and the extra 3 rams remained outside the gates. When I sent my guys out the AI treated them like they were non-siege infantry but never dropped the ram until they were attacked. So while I beat up on one ram, another ram came slowly towards me to 'help' without dropping, basically meaning all 4 rams just kinda milled around until they were killed.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

I have seen this bug so many times in mods it is driving me insane.

Don't get me wrong XAI team, I LOVE YOUR MOD! I really do, the AI is so damn smart, I keep thinking its vanilla AI because of the KGCM mod and such so I keep getting ambushed by smaller factions, and I keep getting into fights with 4+ stacks against larger factions. And my allies are actually helping me right now.

But diplomacy is still rather bugged. I've been allies with the pope since the first couple of turns, when Sicilly declared war on them I shipped off a stack of mine to help them out with a diplomat to ask for help. We've been coördinating attacks against the Sicillians ever since, but when I took Cagliari (which was a Fortress, ready to be build up to a Citadel) and gave it to the pope for free (I decided they could use a military powerhouse and they were near bankrupt so I wouldn't get any money from them). Somehow I took a gigantic relation drop, from 10 crosses to 4. I was still alied and we still had military acces and all that. But they attacked my ports next turn out of nowhere!

Now I'm no expert, but if someone gave me a decent region with a good military powerhouse then I wouldn't stab them in the back and rape their ports with 2 ships...
    The Pope suffered a minor Reputation drop, thats all...

Other then that flaw I'm loving this mod, everything works now thanks to the brilliant minds of the XAI team, you guys are awesome .
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

So....I was continuing my Teutonic Campaign in KGM, having almost crushed Poland ( 3 regions left to go ), when suddenly HRE ( who was allied with them ) sends two stacks against me....Gothic Knights, Crossbows, Teutonic Knights ( The irony isn't lost on me ) the works...then via money script, Poland pulls about 3 stacks and decimates my force that is sieging one of their last castles....

Lastly, the pope exiles me AND then BOTH Norway and Denmark declare war...

So here I am sweating profunsely because I am about to get pounded by over 4 factions when Hungary ALSO moves against me....but before they crush they send a princess to negotiate....bloody lucky that I was able to marry my faction heir to her and secure an Alliance ( Hungary also is allied Poland and HRE )...so I was saved..

But of course Norway has 3 stacks bearing on my coastal towns led by 8 star generals....and Denmark is pushing well into Germany, where I have a Citadel.

Great work....I really feel the challenge against the XCAI.

One qualm I do have about the XBAI though is how it UTTERLY sucks at using pikemen, and since Poland likes to mass Halberd Militia, well you can make 1+1.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

would there ever be a xai v 5.0?

dear xeryx,

i' ve got a issue with the ai that is ALLWAYS sending forth its archers. i've figured out a couple of idea that would help me get over this.
    1) is is possible to make the AI perceive missile troops as general's units? this would be of great because i've seen that is a capitan has a missile unit as his bodyguard he will stand behind his troops and shower me with arrows.
    2) if i change in the confin_ai_battle.xml the value of this (it's bellow) in the melee manager it has no effect on the missile's behaviour but in the missile manager there isn't a similar code that i can mode so as to make it work.

<open>
    <attack-engage-dist-multiplier>3.0</attack-engage-dist-multiplier>
    <infantry>
    <pike>
    <max-engage-dist>20</max-engage-dist>
    </pike>
    <light>
    <max-engage-dist>40</max-engage-dist>
    </light>
    <heavy>
    <max-engage-dist>35</max-engage-dist>
    </heavy>
    <spearmen>
    <max-engage-dist>25</max-engage-dist>
    </spearmen>
    <missile>
    <max-engage-dist>20</max-engage-dist> changed to 2
    </missile>

please help me and yeah i know it's hard coded but i also know that it's possible to make missiles stay near the main infantry line so please help me with this.

of course this is the best AI ever othervise i wouldn't have tryed to mod it to fit my needs better

Quote Originally Posted by alexgold View Post
    dear xeryx,

i' ve got a issue with the ai that is ALLWAYS sending forth its archers. i've figured out a couple of idea that would help me get over this.
    1) is is possible to make the AI perceive missile troops as general's units? this would be of great because i've seen that is a capitan has a missile unit as his bodyguard he will stand behind his troops and shower me with arrows.
    2) if i change in the confin_ai_battle.xml the value of this (it's bellow) in the melee manager it has no effect on the missile's behaviour but in the missile manager there isn't a similar code that i can mode so as to make it work.

<open>
    <attack-engage-dist-multiplier>3.0</attack-engage-dist-multiplier>
    <infantry>
    <pike>
    <max-engage-dist>20</max-engage-dist>
    </pike>
    <light>
    <max-engage-dist>40</max-engage-dist>
    </light>
    <heavy>
    <max-engage-dist>35</max-engage-dist>
    </heavy>
    <spearmen>
    <max-engage-dist>25</max-engage-dist>
    </spearmen>
    <missile>
    <max-engage-dist>20</max-engage-dist> changed to 2
    </missile>

please help me and yeah i know it's hard coded but i also know that it's possible to make missiles stay near the main infantry line so please help me with this.

of course this is the best AI ever othervise i wouldn't have tryed to mod it to fit my needs better
    I realize that frustration myself, for sure. I am rusty right now because I haven't a squire to keep my memory shiny..

Archers running forward; 1) it is not possible to make them a general unit.
    2) That area of code is for melee and is handled seperately. Missiles units use the projectiles file and hardcoded formula, to determine the ranges at which they engage. We have tried countless times to control this. We have had limited success at times, however, there were ill side affects IIRC.

We all must be warmongers, because it sure is cool having battle!
    Last edited by xeryx; September 07, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexgold View Post
    would there ever be a xai v 5.0?
    One can only hope

One qualm I do have about the XBAI though is how it UTTERLY sucks at using pikemen, and since Poland likes to mass Halberd Militia, well you can make 1+1.
    Not all issues are with the BAI on that, it is very much how a mod makes units, and the trouble with the unit animations. So many things intertwine as we found out, that it makes it very difficult to keep everymod working top notch. Especially since I am not a unit guy.

Dear mr.Xeryx

It has been 2 years since I last played MTW2.
    I am a bit confused of all new mods.
    I have used your XBAI_V3.4 and XCAI3.4 on MTK (DLV I think) with great pleasure.
    These days I make a comeback to play the game.
    I`ve noticed XAI 4.0 is alive and would like to get some advice as I know you have good mods.

I want to play a harder game with the emphasis on Al `wisdom`. What mod would you recommend me to play which is fit for your latest XAI and XBAI mods. (I preffer one in continental EU, perhaps like DLV 6.2 which I have).

I would be glad to get any advice,
    Great thanks for your mods and contribution to the TW community.

Quote Originally Posted by ys5 View Post
    Dear mr.Xeryx

It has been 2 years since I last played MTW2.
    I am a bit confused of all new mods.
    I have used your XBAI_V3.4 and XCAI3.4 on MTK (DLV I think) with great pleasure.
    These days I make a comeback to play the game.
    I`ve noticed XAI 4.0 is alive and would like to get some advice as I know you have good mods.

I want to play a harder game with the emphasis on Al `wisdom`. What mod would you recommend me to play which is fit for your latest XAI and XBAI mods. (I preffer one in continental EU, perhaps like DLV 6.2 which I have).

I would be glad to get any advice,
    Great thanks for your mods and contribution to the TW community.
    Please take a look at the stickied threads, there are a list of mods that will incorporate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123