Thread: Roleplaying the Mongols

Default Roleplaying the Mongols

Ok, I recently started a Late Era Mongol campaign. I've had great success pushing through the Khwarezmians and the Cumans, and have about 65% of my starting forces still alive and marching. It is currently turn 20, and I'm pushing into the Tigris/Euphrates region, Georgia (northern invasion), and eastern Russia. My debt has accumulated now to about 400,000 florins.

At turn 5, PB has it scripted that the Mongols get a large bonus of about 80,000 florins which gave me enough money to invest in a few pagan churches in Persia, and then the debt began accumulating immediately after that turn. I thought the script accurately reflected the Mongols being supported by their Mongolian/Chinese empire and its wealth, and was sad to see more of this wasn't scripted later on.

My current dilemma is how to approach the rest of my campaign with a roleplaying mindset, but without feeling like I'm cheating or destabilizing the game balance. The two biggest options I'm considering are:

1. Once I have only 2 stacks remaining from my original invasion, console my money back to 0 and try to build up my empire (I've exterminated everything so far) while maintaining borders, expanding once my economy can tolerate more armies.

or

2. Once I'm down to the 2 stacks, tolerate the next 40+ turns of trying to eliminate my debt by simply waiting out turns, meaning no construction, no military expansion (with only 2 stacks hard to do while maintaining borders), etc.

The second option sounds not fun, and from a roleplaying stance it seems at least fair to have no debt but rather start at 0, as Mongol/China would have paid for the initial invasions but future expansion would be the responsibility of the new Persian-located Khanate. What are your guys thoughts as to strategies, roleplaying approaches, etc. for the Mongols after my initial invasion has burned out? And please, no posts about console being cheating, I'm more concerned with roleplaying from a fair stance, and I don't mind justifying why NOT to use console so long as your explanation isn't "omg cheater!".

Thanks!
    Last edited by smitty; April 16, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Default Re: Roleplaying the Mongols

My thoughts are that the Mongols need an increased King's Purse so they don't go bankrupt like that. I increased it but evidently not by enough. I'll look into it.

In next update if controlled by player they get more scripted reinforcement stacks and cash bonus also.

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Roleplaying the Mongols

Check my minimod: strong mongols minimod, i have some ideas that can make mongols more like they should be
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader