Thread: Technology - The Basics

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Default Technology - The Basics

Tutorial Purpose – To edit technology building and research requirements, as well as their position on the technology tree.

First and foremost, before we begin, you are going need at least a basic grasp of the PFM, and how to create a mod. Please refer to this excellent tutorial for guidance.

Using the PFM, we are going to open the technologies_tables file.

The first column is entitled ‘Tech ID.’ The values in this column are the technologies in question. For instances, admin1_classical_economics is, in game terms ‘Classical Economics.’

The second colum is the ‘Building IDREF.’ This column determines the building required to research the technology in questions. So, for instance, sAdmin1_tax_office, which is directly beside admin1_classical_economics means that ‘Classical Economics’ requires a level one tax office.

The third colum is entitled Tech Tree Position. This is where things start getting a little tricky. If any of the numbers overlap in a given ‘technology tier,’ one of the overlapping technologies will not be visible, and therefore will not be researchable. So you must keep things balanced here.

The next column is entitled Research Points, this determines how long, in points, the technology takes to research.

The values ‘Land Prestige,’ ‘Naval Prestige,’ ‘Economic Prestige,’ ‘Enlightenment Prestige,’ determine how many prestige points you receive in the given category for the given technology.

The column ‘Researched Message Picture’ determines the message background you receive upon completion of researching the technology.

Hope this helps.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Default Re: Technology - The Basics

Great, thanks for the tips, I had figured out most of it, but this really helped me!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Marshal Beale♔ View Post
    Great, thanks for the tips, I had figured out most of it, but this really helped me!
    No porblem.

And congrats on the forum!
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Hi and thanks for info.
    First I am trying to mod Napoleon, så to find technologies_tables it will be in data.pack/db/technologies_tables (this is just for help if somother want to find it).
    Here I have found Tech Tree Position and it show as this:
    2,1,4,5,6,6,5,4,4,6,2,0,6,0,5,4,2,3,4,5,2,4,3,0,5,7,0,1,2,3,5,6,6,4,7,7,4,5,6,4,5,7,2,7,5,6,4
    Now my problem is that playing as Sweden the Industial resarch is not possible to resarch.
    I belive that you are tryiong to tell me something, but I don't understand it.
    Can you help me please
    MVH
    Benni Svensson

While not a modder. I believe you cannot research industrial unless you have an existing manufacturing building.

I see, thaks.
    MVH
    Benni Svensson

How do i put new pics if i want to make new technologies.