Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance 2.75 modded - OwnRen42010

Icon10 Renaissance 2.75 modded - OwnRen42010

Hi,
    i changed some stuff in Renaissance 2.75 for a better balancing (and to attain happiness for my heart)
    You can download the original one and the repair stuff (see my signature) or use this one here if you can live with the changes (also includes the repair stuff).
    OwnRen42010 is a stand-alone mod - Renaissance isnt necessary.
    Just download and unpack it into you Medieval2 folder - pay attention to the 4 files which have to be copied into the original folders (inside OwnRen42010 folder)
    I would be happy if you could give some feedback.
    Here is a list:

- added settlements:
    Turin Milan, Danzig Poland, Cologne HRE, Flensburg Denmark, Trento Venice, Onod Hungary, Lyon France, Badajos Spain

- gave Calais to England

- changed treasure at the beginning of Venice, Timurids

- settlements start at least as towns

- some changes for balancing:
    - made real fighting pikemen (spearbonus now 6 instead of 10 and offense and defense +4 each) --> AI prefers strong units
    - changed availability of mercenary pikemen +, cannons - and reiters - --> AI cant build tactical and balanced armies before
    - added arquebusiers to scotland
    - added gendarmes to spain and portugal (removed Portugese knight)
    --> therefore copy gendarmes_info to Medieval II Total War\data\ui\unit_info\portugal and arquebusiers_info to Medieval II Total War\data\ui\unit_info\scotland
    and #gendarmes to Medieval II Total War\data\ui\units\portugal and #arquebusiers to Medieval II Total War\data\ui\units\scotland!

- changed moral bonus of conquestadores, retinue longbowmen and venetian heavy infantry --> infantry couldnt hold the line in battle before

- fixed sounds events --> no more CTDīs anymore!

- change charactermovement and time per round (sommer and winter each year)

- changed venetian heavy infantry look --> upgraded doesnt wear armour, but game works --> no more CTDīs anymore!

- added voulgier to France (why not )

- changed economic fix of DrIstvaan (ressouces of ME2 and settlements mechanics values between original and fix)

- updated config (system.log shows errors and game play for older pcīs like my one ) --> copy ME2 config stuff under [game] into this one for own settings

- the original files are still in the folder (the ...org ones) for the modders among yourselves

- this is everything i can remember...
    Last edited by Condottiere Giovanni dīMedici; October 06, 2010 at 03:08 AM.

Default Re: Renaissance 2.75 modded - OwnRen42010

exp: downloaded, installed and played - no problems!
    Please give feedback. Everything fine?
    Last edited by Condottiere Giovanni dīMedici; April 24, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Grande

I Will try this asap

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Hey there, Condottiere!
    A very, VERY big thank you for your contribution! I'm very glad to see this project live on. You've done us, but more importantly, the Renaissance fans, a huge favour!
    Like I said earlier, Marv and I want to create something new altogether, but I really don't know when will there be anything tangible about it; these months turned out to be quite tough at the university (among other things, I'm doing my 15-lesson teachers' exercise in Italian language and have to hand in various portfolios by the end of the month).
    So, I'm positively happy to see the original project has a new life, thanks to you .

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Hi, thx.
    I wasnt sure about uploading this version. Permission granted i guess
    And i thought for the fans its easier to install this one than to install and update the original one.
    I got also a lot to do for university and, as you can see above, i only changed something with editor and tried geomod a little bit.
    For the Ren3.0 new units were needed and to know how to create them is another question...
    Another point is the timescale. A lot of people want to play in the late 16th to 17th century.
    I like your idea of the reformation. Maybe one could set the main theme in the 1510-1530s. There we got the reformation, the peasants wars and the italian wars (my favourite theme).
    Some factions like Bretagne, Savoyen, Schweden and perhaps the german electoral princes should be in it.
    One could focuse the world on the german-italian part and kick some of the eastern factions e.g..
    Then there is the problem of only max. 3 dudes who got a lot to do in RL.
    This cant be changed by editor
    What are the opportunities of kingdoms (changing religion,....)?
    Which main points do you want to change?
    Finally i have to say scripting needs a few hours, but modding will take months. So i m not sure about joining the team.
    Maybe merging with another project (of course similar goals) would be an option...

thanks for your effort condottiere
    [URL="http://www.radikal.ru/"][/UR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vdNXJ2E181c

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Hey, Condottiere, no problem, now I wasn't inquiring about your joining the group, only appreciating what you've done .

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Quote Originally Posted by DrIstvaan View Post
    Hey, Condottiere, no problem, now I wasn't inquiring about your joining the group, only appreciating what you've done .
    Hi, if anyone liked the campaign map ambiance and the look of the factions from Medieval I, this will interest you. If not, don't bother reading this.

Yeah, it seems like most of the other mods are dead, and this forum seems to be read by people regularly - i mean, with posts from 2010 and not 2 years ago - so here's my pitch (I posted this in the Medieval Classic Forum):

" " "
    Hi, I'm an amateur modder and I've been recently modding the Rise of Kings mod for M2TW patch 1.2. As it seems that that mod is dead, I was wondering if anyone here is interested in the things I was able to do. I am a big fan of the first Medieval and would've liked to see the same kind of atmosphere on the campaign map in Medieval 2. Hence, I too have been trying to make Medieval 2 as close as possible to Medieval 1. Some things I've already finished are:

1) The map. The original Rise of Kings map is a much larger map than the vanilla map, and I was able to spread out all the cities so that everything is balanced. And I maxed out the number of provinces so that an army won't spend too much time marching around doing nothing (ie, instead of adding more movement points, I kept it pretty much the same. The difference is that there are so many cities that are not too far from each other that you can move from city to city in no more than two turns, especially in Europe).

2) Also, I saved screenshots of the original medieval 1 map and was able to give each faction the original colors from medieval 1 (ie, just one solid color, no secondary color outlining borders on the campaign map). The only colors I diverged on were The Italians, which I kept the Venetian red but made it darker, the portuguese and the Scottish (because they werent in medieval 1), and the russians, the Mongols, and the Timurids (i kept it the same). Also, I made the 2D shields for the campaign map look more like the ones from Medieval I. In addition, I merged textures from the Ultimate AI mod (not sure where he got them from) that reflects the new shields.

3) I organized the factions around particular "cultures". Basically, I kept it like medieval 1, with The English, The French, The Germans, The Italians, etc. Since the political kingdoms were just a mess, and since dynastic families are just as bad, I decided to keep it to nationalities, even though they are anachronistic, because it kept things simple, and anyway it's like medieval 1.

4) I changed the time period to be from 1147 (start of the second crusade) to 1517 (the start of the reformation), with 2 turns per year. I gave the French the crusader states, and I have most of christian europe at war with the three muslim factions

5) I am in the process of making merchants more influential. Basically, my idea is to make merchants the main source of income for a country. Anyways, wealth is based on how much resources you control, not necessarily how many cities you have (ie cities need to be near rivers, iron deposits, etc in order to grow into cities). Thus, say if merchants make 80% of your nation's income, then the gameplay suddenly shifts to maintaining your merchant monopolies over resources (ie medieval capitalist cutthroat competition). Thus, you can be alright with a huge army and plenty of cities, but if say venetian merchants keep putting your merchants out of business, your economy is going to drop fast.

6) Lastly, I created a separate Germans faction distinct from the HRE and I united northern italy. This is hopefully to reflect the degree of independence and to some extent outright rebellion of the German Princes and the Italian city-states, such as in the Guelph-Ghibelline conflicts of the time period that I chose. Also, if I gave Germany to the HRE, then it would simply have too many provinces.

What I would like: anyone who can add in factions totally, with faction specific units. I can work on the 2d stuff like the menu and the campaign map banners, but I cannot work on unit skins, battle banners, unit cards, etc.

If anyone is interested I'll be checking this later. If not I guess I'll just keep modding.
    " " "

And here's some screenshots:
    Last edited by papabear198931; April 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Sorry for possibly spamming, but I guess this is sort of me showing interest in joining your guys' project or possibly pitching an idea for a new project (I already posted the same thing on Medieval Classic, but no response). So yeah I have programming experience (Java, Python, even Scheme) and 2D editing (GIMP, some Photoshop). And yeah I guess the Renaissance mod is kind of separate from this one, but maybe what I'm doing could be like an early campaign. I don't know. I just want to see if anyone is interested in what I can offer. Anyway, here's more screenshots:

Three is the problem: "I changed the time period to be from 1147 (start of the second crusade) to 1517 (the start of the reformation)". This mod and the dudes who made this are interessted in the time after your mod ends so....

A great work, Condottiere. Keep on!

Hablo en italiano con los embajadores; en francés, con las mujeres; en alemán con los soldados; en inglés con los caballos y en espaņol con Dios. (a quote from Emperor Carlos Ist of Spain and Vth of Germany)

this is great! too bad it uses whatever language you use though so no more reading i guess now what someone needs to do is make it so pikemen actually work and make starting cities a little better

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoyalGuard1 View Post
    this is great! too bad it uses whatever language you use though so no more reading i guess now what someone needs to do is make it so pikemen actually work and make starting cities a little better
    Hi,
    i guess the first part means the quotation of Karl V....
    to the second one: pikemen actually work? - they do --> "made real fighting pikemen" (see first one) --> this means, they keep the phalanx even when infantry is crushing in the line --> so knights are on a forlorn hope mission
    to the third one: in my opinion settlements are improved enough --> economic is changed, so that you get more money per round and trade is more important, so that you have to play tactically. Thereby that you get the late units with the basic unit buildings, you dont need to spend much money in construction.

I tried downloading this mod and running a campaign only to find out the campaign is all in German. I know a bit of the language, but not much and I'd really rather just play it in english. Is there any way to fix this?

Hi,
    sorry - i tried to consider everything - only the point that my Medieval2 version is german lost during work.

Is the menu also in german?
    Are the sounds of the units on the campaign map in german?
    German textfiles on the campaign map can be changed - therefore:
    replace the following files (only these, the other ones are necessary) in OwnRen\data\text with those from your Medievil2\data\text
    files
    export_ancillaries.txt.strings
    export_vnvs.txt.strings
    rebel_faction_descr.txt.strings
    religions.txt.strings
    shared.txt.strings
    strat.txt.strings

Hope this helps. Surely an english based version would be better...
    Last edited by Condottiere Giovanni dīMedici; July 15, 2010 at 06:22 AM.

I couldn't find the data/text folder in my default M2TW directory, so I simply went into the OwnRen data/text folder and deleted the entries you listed above and the campaign is back to full english, und nicht deutsch (heh, but maybe I should have taken it as a chance to practice my german). Everything seems fine now at any rate.

Anyway, good mod, but I strongly suggest making one change at least for any future releases, and that is to remove the "fire_by_rank" entry from all arquebusier/musketeer/gunner units. I already went into the descr_units text and did so myself, as it is impossible to get them to shoot from proper pike squares otherwise. They merely stand there constantly reforming. Granted, this makes them much stronger, but as pikemen have been made stronger by removing their swords to keep their pike formation *and* by having stats boosted it only fits that the other half of renaissance pike-and-shot warfare (being the shot) would be boosted too. (I do love how you gave them stakes though, that's always bothered me they never had them in the original.)

EDIT: Might be neat too if pikemen were either given the ability to deploy in schiltrom or had spearwall turned on constantly by default and schiltrom added as their special ability (as I don't think you can have two special abilities). Anyway, just an idea. :-)
    Last edited by General Malaise; July 15, 2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: afterthought

Hi,
    also possible - i need those files for geomod.
    What do you mean by "from proper pike squares"? While shooters and pikemen stand as a bunch on the same place?
    Could you describe that please - for a nonenglish dude
    They need an open field to act, of course.
    If you want firing shooters behind pikemen lines, you have to deploy them higher or behind gaps between the pikemen companies.
    I increased the off/def stats of pikemen, but also decreased the phalanx bonus. So they are able to protect their flanks and fight against armoured units. And most important - the ai uses them more often, because ai choses troops by stats instead of tactical opportunities (So mixed armies wont be a dream anymore ).
    Shooters got still an high off stat - so i think changes here wouldnt be good for the balance.

Sorry, Condottier, but thereīs something i do not understand: have i t download an install PREVIOUSLY Renaissance 2.75 AND then install OwnRen42010 over it, or ONLY INSTALL OwnRen42010? Thanks.

Hi,
    NO!
    First of all fall down on your knees and render homage to me, your master ... just kidding or ... maybe ... not ...

No! OwnRen42010 is a stand-alone mod for Medieval 2. There is no need for installing Ren2.75.

Forgive me, my Unconquerable and Invincible Lord!!!!

A lot of thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast