Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Nanny's TW Video Gallery and Vid Tech Help (Feb 20th New VID!)

Default Re: The Nanny's TW Video Gallery and Vid Tech Help (Dec 12 NEW VID and NEW tech articles!!)

Hi Nanny,

I just discovered your thread and have just read (and watched) my way through it. Your work is magnificent, you have a great talent and thank you for taking the time to explain how you do things. I have been toying with the idea of trying to make some videos myself. Now that I have a good reference point to go to for advice I think I might well have a try just for the fun of it.

Thanks again!

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Default Re: The Nanny's TW Video Gallery and Vid Tech Help (Dec 12 NEW VID and NEW tech articles!!)

Welcome LaSallian! Glad you were entertained, and found some tips to get you started!

Making these kinds of vids is very easy to get into...with FRAPS and MovieMaker, you can be up and running in no-time

good luck!

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

I went through your thread(again) and i want to say(again) that your work and efforts are brilliantly unmatched ! +rep

Cheers & Happy hollidays !

Artifex

Thanks Morgan for your support!!

Promo vid for the upcoming Order of War: Anniversary Edition (avail in 1080p HD)

Other mods used in vid:
    L'aigle's French skins
    Pdguru's flags
    djsnipy's Deployable Defenses
    Oby's Firing Animation Tweaks
    Hedge Knight's equipment re-texture
    Music: Two-Steps-From-Hell's Black Blade

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

That's some high quality Nanny work there.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Default Re: The Nanny's TW Video Gallery and Vid Tech Help (Dec 20 NEW VID!!)

Wow!
    Breathtaking clip,brilliant Mod and a majestic choice of music !

very nice +rep!

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Awesome vid. Still a while until the anniversary though as ntw was released in March...

Artifex

Listen mate, you can never let truth get in the way of a good story! hehehe

I think Beale is referring to when work was started on NOW. Or something like that.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Love the music
    I'll have to spread a bit...

Artifex

The up-coming in-game intro vid for Darthmod (available in 1080p HD)

cheers!

- For anyone who experience regular difficulties with youtube, you may download the vid here (also superior quality to youtube ): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O44NNDZF

Thanks to theatroN for providing tech help

Great vid the Nanny. As usual.
    How did you make the man with the telescope (longue-vue) ?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MVillars View Post
    Great vid the Nanny. As usual.
    How did you make the man with the telescope (longue-vue) ?
    I made a post for my tech help on how to do this in Sony Vegas: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...26#post7750426

cheers and thanks!

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Hi Nanny

Your work is absolutely fantastic, and if you recall, you actually let me use some of it in a Great War video I had made a while back. Well now I'm back at it, and this time instead of compiling other people's videos, am capturing my own footage. However, after reading some information on how to correctly do this, it appears as though I have run into some trouble.

After shooting all of my footage with FRAPS, putting it into Movie Maker, and then editing and such, I tried to save my movie file. However, after trying to save it in many different ways (High quality file, optimal for my computer, etc.) it seems as though it just wont render. I mean, the thing says at first it will take 45 minutes, then it just keeps climbing until its over 1000 minutes. For other videos i have done without capturing my own footage this has never happened and I am genuinely confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Artifex

Hi mate - yes I remember you, cause your vid was very emotional for me, very touching the way you put together the real film footage and such...you have talent mate, I can't wait to see more of it.

From the MovieMaker course (link to full course in my OP, under VID TECH HELP bar...

3 major contributors of a MM crash or a failed final render:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read:
    1. Insufficient audio/visual codecs on your computer. Where to get extensive and current audio/visual codecs:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm (this package also gives you Media Player Classic, a very useful and versatile media player that can play just about anything, at superior quality to Windows Media Player...a useful tool for making videos.)

2. To much "hidden" video on your timeline in un-used portions of clips (solution: use SPLIT more often)

3. Other programs running (rendering uses up alot of CPU and memory, and will often crash if you have too many other programs running in the background).
    If you have been able to render before, my guess is that #2 is your problem...I used to run into this ALOT. That hidden, un-clipped footage in MM is a killer. So if you have long clips where only a fraction appears on your timeline, split the clip down to only what you are using. If that still doesn't work, you'll have to do what Lewis and I have resorted to a few times, which is divide your vid in manageable pieces, render it in, say 3 sections, and then with those completed .wmv files, put them together and make one big movie. Re-rendering hurts quality a bit, but is sometimes your only option. MM has a hard time with too much info from raw .avi files...that seems to be the heart of the issue.

Also, unless you have a top notch machine, make sure you aren't doing anything else resource intensive on the computer while rendering.

If these don't work, we'll go to plan B...and while you are working on it, I'll figure out what plan B is

cheers mate, let us know if it works!

Nanny

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nanny de Bodemloze View Post
    Hi mate - yes I remember you, cause your vid was very emotional for me, very touching the way you put together the real film footage and such...you have talent mate, I can't wait to see more of it.

From the MovieMaker course (link to full course in my OP, under VID TECH HELP bar...

If you have been able to render before, my guess is that #2 is your problem...I used to run into this ALOT. That hidden, un-clipped footage in MM is a killer. So if you have long clips where only a fraction appears on your timeline, split the clip down to only what you are using. If that still doesn't work, you'll have to do what Lewis and I have resorted to a few times, which is divide your vid in manageable pieces, render it in, say 3 sections, and then with those completed .wmv files, put them together and make one big movie. Re-rendering hurts quality a bit, but is sometimes your only option. MM has a hard time with too much info from raw .avi files...that seems to be the heart of the issue.

Also, unless you have a top notch machine, make sure you aren't doing anything else resource intensive on the computer while rendering.

If these don't work, we'll go to plan B...and while you are working on it, I'll figure out what plan B is

cheers mate, let us know if it works!

Nanny

Thank you so much I really appreciate your quick reply, I will be sure to try each of these techniques and keep you updated

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Artifex

Default Re: The Nanny's TW Video Gallery and Vid Tech Help (Jan 5th NEW VID!!)

COMPARISON: FRAPS vs Overwolf

Quick comparison vid between FRAPS and the Overwolf vid capturing freeware programs.

Program highlights...

FRAPS
    - records in near lossless .avi format, RBG lossless an option also
    - 30 second limit in freeware version
    - easy to customize and easy to use hotkey settings
    - wide array of recording settings for audio and video
    - customize your default save locations
    - heavy fps hit while recording (depending on settings, up to 70% fps drop)
    - ideal for adding effects in vid editor
    - huge file sizes (10 second of vid = ~300mb)
    - fps overlay optional

OVERWOLF
    - records in compressed .wmv format (lossy)
    - unlimited recording time
    - recording hotkey setting awkward to use
    - limited recording settings for audio and video
    - no customized locations for saves
    - medium fps hit while recording
    - difficult to edit .wmv files in vid editor
    - smaller compressed file sizes (10 seconds of vid = 7mb)
    - fps overlay optional
    - can review recorded video while in-game
    - can add notes to saved recording file while in-game
    - fewer glitches when using MovieMaker to edit (.wmv format easier for MM to handle, fewer crashes)
    - audio recording setup can be tricky

Video Comparison
    (test performed with optimal settings for each program)

- Overwolf textures are pixelated from the in-game compression, particularly in shots with high movement or complex textures in the sky or in smoke
    - Overwolf performs well, in still shots, with no camera and little to no subject movement (near FRAPS quality)
    - there is a clear lack of definition in detail in Overwolf during high action sequences...grass and uniform details are heavily blurred
    - slight loss in colour sharpness in Overwolf

To best see the differences, watch in full HD and in full screen
    Last edited by Nanny de Bodemloze; January 14, 2011 at 07:38 AM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Nanny's TW Video Gallery and Vid Tech Help (Jan 13th Fraps vs Overwolf comparison)

Nice post.

I'll take it that your suggestion would be to stick with Fraps?

Also, save me googling and getting a ton of useless information.

What effect does the lossless RBG option have on video quality, is it an improvment in any areas of vid taking? How large is the FPS hit while using this option (fraps states it might give a hit).

Artifex

Default Re: The Nanny's TW Video Gallery and Vid Tech Help (Jan 13th Fraps vs Overwolf comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Nice post.

I'll take it that your suggestion would be to stick with Fraps?

Also, save me googling and getting a ton of useless information.

What effect does the lossless RBG option have on video quality, is it an improvment in any areas of vid taking? How large is the FPS hit while using this option (fraps states it might give a hit).
    For the things that you want Mitch, I suggest FRAPS. You do cinematic vids, with some editing and maybe effects, and I know you like the quality picture, so my guess is that Overwolf is not for you. But for some people, who need a quicker way to capture their gameplay, and don't need top notch lossless quality (with the heavy fps and HDD resources needed), Overwolf is surprisingly useful.

The difference between normal and lossless RBG, in my tests (I've done dozens on this point) is about 5% quality increase when using RBG, with about a 20% heavier fps hit, and a whopping 100% increase in file size. It is very, very hard to see the difference with the raw file on your computer...and by the time it is compressed and viewed on Youtube, I can see no difference at all.
    Last edited by Nanny de Bodemloze; January 13, 2011 at 05:54 PM.

ReignTerror's Avatar Master of Hyperbole

thanks for the link and comparison

the one thing i like about overwolf is i can do other things in game it seems like facebook and google and all that jibba jabba... I PITY DA FOOL!

Hi mate,i went out and got my self pinnacle,do you have any tips at whats the best after effects to use that will make totalwar vids nicer or maybe able to direct me to a place that tells you alot about the more advanced features of pinnacle.