Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Elven Units- Discussion and New Ideas

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Elven Units- Discussion and New Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Everto View Post
    ...both Beautiful designs, and I think an overall agreement on the issue. these units will diversify the High Elven Roster, and give a reason for keeping the western provinces.
    Also, the Eregion Smiths, I hope, will remain an AOR unit, possibly only in Ost-en-Edhil? And maybe Rivendell?
    Since the Elven Smith unit is solemly subject to the lore mod, rest assured they can only be recruited via Gwaith-i-Mirdain which is limited to Ost-en-Edhil.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by koultouras View Post
    anyway i suppose its just a matter of preferable colors......
    i happen to like green , u happen to like plain armour....conclusion: we agreed on dissagreeing on this
    thanks for kind words btw!
    Lol, no problem. As I said, the idea is to create a forum for discussion and ideas (as the title suggests ) Bashing doesn't get anything done except create resentment and pissed off people ... who oddly enough are trying to get the same thing usually, perhaps disagreeing on simple particulars.

Either Way, The Work on FROME cannot be ignored as it is such a huge undertaking all on its own, and as before, I commend and rep you for it .
    Lets hope that the rest of the TATW community will want to lend a hand to UBERFY () the Elven Rosters

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Since the Elven Smith unit is solemly subject to the lore mod, rest assured they can only be recruited via Gwaith-i-Mirdain which is limited to Ost-en-Edhil.
    I am resting assured, and am fine with the verdict

P.S. Does anyone know if The Eregion Smiths will be included in 1.5? Please Pretty Please with a Cherry on Top
    Last edited by Everto; April 18, 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries

P.S. Does anyone know if The Eregion Smiths will be included in 1.5? Please Pretty Please with a Cherry on Top
    Nope, no one knows
    Whenever, if at all, KK might feel that he wants to include it, I'm only a pm away

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

FURTHER IDEAS FOR SILVAN UNITS

So after browsing images and gathering my own thoughts, I came across a few items I thought worthy enough of mention as something that could be conceptualized and brought to life in the Silvan Roster. I think that the lower tier Silvan Units should get a slight boost in appearance, as well as an additional unit here and there. I love the way the Sentinels of the Woodland Realms look, but as mentioned before hand, am not that big of a fan of the Forest Wardens... they just don't fit with the rest of the 'look' of the Silvan roster. But anyway... here are some ideas whilst we wait for 1.5

Mirkwood Rangers

I chose this image precisely because of the woad paint on the archer's face. I think that a Mirkwood AOR unit for the Silvan Elves such as this would be a good addition. Tattoo's as well as slight woad war paint would show how these elves are more wild than those of Lothlorien, or rather "rustic". They'd be capable to hide anywhere on the battlefield, and armed with nothing but Sword and bow. I realize this is very reminisent of the Sentinels of the Woodland Realm, but this would be an AOR unit with higher hitpoints and more lethal ranged potency, as well as a higher attack.

Perhaps to make them more different than the Sentinels, they'd wield two blades in combat, giving them higher attack but lower defense. Another thing would be to have on arm covered in Leather straps, whilst the other one is free, and covered in Elven Tattoos... as to have more of a look that would be reminiscent of people who dwell in the woods and more in tune with what is around them.

...And if that seems still to reminiscent of the Sentinels, perhaps a completely different approach...

Thranduil's Blades (originally Thranduil's Assassins...changed as Elven culture doesn't support assassination)

Both a dangerous ranged unit, as well as an extremely efficient melee fighter, these units would be all a solely Mirkwood Unit, recruitable only in the boundaries of the Ancient forest. The drawing is just.. well a drawing, but it gives an idea of what could possibly be achieved.
    So, Thranduil's Assassins (or whatever other name you wish to give such a unit) would also be loosely armored in Leather Straps and the like, and their face would be covered possibly with a sash. I'd really like a unit like this to be added so as to replace the Forest Wardens...which are , nuf said.

Yet if the Forest Wardens stay, (which i have no issue with as long as they're changed) they could at least be redone a little, here are some notions of possible changes, (and I know the figure on the right isn't proportional...oh well, it gets the message across)
    Last edited by Everto; April 18, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Tattoos and war paint?
    I, in general, appreciate your ideas, but this too much D&D for my taste.
    Neither Tattoos nor war paint are backuped by lore.
    Those are JRRT elves, not RPG elves or native americans

Edit:
    @Assassins:
    Assassination is contrary to elven laws and customs, that's one of the reasons why you won't find an elven assassin unit ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Tattoos and war paint?
    I, in general, appreciate your ideas, but this too much D&D for my taste.
    Neither Tattoos nor war paint are backuped by lore.
    Those are JRRT elves, not RPG elves or native americans

Edit:
    @Assassins:
    Assassination is contrary to elven laws and customs, that's one of the reasons why you won't find an elven assassin unit ingame.
    Elven Assassins...agreed, name can be changed to whatever else (and as you see...name's changed lol)

Warpaint..ya... it'd look interesting tho... as in a sliver on the face, or one symbol on the arm somewhere

And tattoos... i've seen a few people make Spiral Elven Tattoos in the Sub Mods for an elven unit, it looks nice, not overdone, just an interesting design aesthetic...but its up for discussion

Just trying to see what people will come up with, whilst trying to throw in some of my own ideas

(p.s. just because it isn't "lore specific" doesn't mean its wrong. As many people pointed out, Gondor has full plate Armor, The Elves are likewise armed in a design I wouldn't exactly consider to be "lore specific", but it is utilized within TATW. There are many things that aren't in the books, that is why there is so much room for interpretation on the part of the modders and the TATW community. Aesthetically some of the suggestions may bother people, and that is understandable, as a few things in the mod that are implemented bother me as well. Anyway...food for thought, I know im beating a dead horse here...but it never hurts to bring it up from time to time... just not too often lol)
    Last edited by Everto; April 18, 2010 at 01:57 PM.

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

I very much disagree with tattoos and war paint. The Elves were much too "pure" creatures to do such a thing to their bodies.

Mirkwood Rangers already exist though. Both in FROME and in a separate version found here.

I like Thranduil's Blades though and I agree on the warden remake, those concepts are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by el Cid View Post
    I very much disagree with tattoos and war paint. The Elves were much too "pure" creatures to do such a thing to their bodies.
    After actually going back to the game, I have come to agree, perhaps war paint and tattoos aren't exactly a good idea, even if it is for only one unit

Mirkwood Rangers already exist though. Both in FROME and in a separate version found here.
    I found the Mirkwood Rangers, Plus Rep for that, very nice models...dunno how i missed that
    Last edited by Everto; April 18, 2010 at 02:48 PM.

koultouras made the models, I just added the unit in and came with the concepts and idea.

The following designs, which are WETA concepts from the movies, are all a very interesting place to get possible ideas from. The Design on the Far Right has actually been made into a reality by Bilwit, plus rep for that btw, and I hope it will be added into a Sub Mod, or possibly the overall release.

The Character on the far right is of note because the garb is of more brown and red hues, which I think would be interesting as an addition into the ranks of the Silvan army. Brown padded Leather Straps, Pads, and Armor, cover the design from head to toe, covered then by a copper like red (notice the head piece underneath the hood, nice detail). This unit design would be a fine addition as a higher level archer unit of Mirkwood, or Lothlorien.
    Possibly "Thranduil's Sentinels", due to the regal look of the figure, with the slight undertones of rustic garb.

FURTHER IDEAS FOR SILVAN UNITS

So after browsing images and gathering my own thoughts, I came across a few items I thought worthy enough of mention as something that could be conceptualized and brought to life in the Silvan Roster. I think that the lower tier Silvan Units should get a slight boost in appearance, as well as an additional unit here and there. I love the way the Sentinels of the Woodland Realms look, but as mentioned before hand, am not that big of a fan of the Forest Wardens... they just don't fit with the rest of the 'look' of the Silvan roster. But anyway... here are some ideas whilst we wait for 1.5

Mirkwood Rangers

I chose this image precisely because of the woad paint on the archer's face. I think that a Mirkwood AOR unit for the Silvan Elves such as this would be a good addition. Tattoo's as well as slight woad war paint would show how these elves are more wild than those of Lothlorien, or rather "rustic". They'd be capable to hide anywhere on the battlefield, and armed with nothing but Sword and bow. I realize this is very reminisent of the Sentinels of the Woodland Realm, but this would be an AOR unit with higher hitpoints and more lethal ranged potency, as well as a higher attack.

Perhaps to make them more different than the Sentinels, they'd wield two blades in combat, giving them higher attack but lower defense. Another thing would be to have on arm covered in Leather straps, whilst the other one is free, and covered in Elven Tattoos... as to have more of a look that would be reminiscent of people who dwell in the woods and more in tune with what is around them.

...And if that seems still to reminiscent of the Sentinels, perhaps a completely different approach...

Thranduil's Blades (originally Thranduil's Assassins...changed as Elven culture doesn't support assassination)

Both a dangerous ranged unit, as well as an extremely efficient melee fighter, these units would be all a solely Mirkwood Unit, recruitable only in the boundaries of the Ancient forest. The drawing is just.. well a drawing, but it gives an idea of what could possibly be achieved.
    So, Thranduil's Assassins (or whatever other name you wish to give such a unit) would also be loosely armored in Leather Straps and the like, and their face would be covered possibly with a sash. I'd really like a unit like this to be added so as to replace the Forest Wardens...which are , nuf said.

Yet if the Forest Wardens stay, (which i have no issue with as long as they're changed) they could at least be redone a little, here are some notions of possible changes, (and I know the figure on the right isn't proportional...oh well, it gets the message across)

War paint looks sick and very elvish but it only looks elvish. A true elf would hate wearing it...

However I do think that it would be nice to add it into the game. I would love to see warpaint covered Galadhrim fighting goblins!

I agree with Napoleon, warpaint on elves would make them look way more badass, especially when fighting ugly beasts like goblins or orcs. Definitely a plus to the immersion of the game, if added.

Amazing fan art pictures, btw.
    Fear is the mother of defeat.
    Tranquility is courage in repose. Courage is confidence in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael BloodMoon View Post
    I agree with Napoleon, warpaint on elves would make them look way more badass, especially when fighting ugly beasts like goblins or orcs. Definitely a plus to the immersion of the game, if added.

Amazing fan art pictures, btw.
    It would certainly not add to the immersion of the game. This is not ****ing Warhammer! The Elves would never do such a thing, I really want more units for the Elves, but not this way.

And IMO it doesn't even lóók Elvish, Dúnedain rangers or Ithilien rangers might use warpaint. Orcs and maybe Easterlings and Southrons might have tattoos, but Elves certainly wouldn't.
    Last edited by el Cid; April 19, 2010 at 01:58 AM.

Vaul's Avatar Miles

As opposed to getting dead drunk and hang around on branches singing dirty songs? (The Hobbit)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaul View Post
    As opposed to getting dead drunk and hang around on branches singing dirty songs? (The Hobbit)
    AFAIK the Elves that got drunk immediately fell asleep. My point is that they wouldn't desecrate their bodies by making tattoos on them. And besides, Elves wouldn't even need war paint, their cloaks are all the camouflage they need.

Vaul's Avatar Miles

AFAIK the Elves that got drunk immediately fell asleep. My point is that they wouldn't desecrate their bodies by making tattoos on them. And besides, Elves wouldn't even need war paint, their cloaks are all the camouflage they need.
    I'm not saying that your assumption on their relationship with warpaint is offending me, I'm just saying that - your prejudice against tattooing as a cultural phenomenon aside - you're dealing in absolutes concerning something that is highly disputable. But don't mind me, I too prefer the grim stoic greco-roman elves

I don't have a prejudice against tattooing, people can do what they want with their bodies. I'm only saying that the LOTR Elves wouldn't do that because:
    1. I have never heard of a LOTR Elf with tattoos
    2. They considered themselves very pure creatures and so would not want to change that by tattooing themselves

Glad you too prefer the greco-roman style Elves too.

I too prefer the grim stoic greco-roman elves
    Glad you too prefer the greco-roman style Elves too.
    Don't Lie... this is what you want the elves to look like...isn't it

...the Immortal Elves of Rome have arrived

But don't mind me, I too prefer the grim stoic greco-roman elves
    Something like this?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vaul's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Something like this?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I clicked it but nothing is in the box, either that or my connection is acting up again...