Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Elven Units- Discussion and New Ideas

Default Re: Elven Units- Discussion and New Ideas

perhaps something like this unit for a medium tier line infantry?...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...228580&page=28 post #546
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    perhaps something like this unit for a medium tier line infantry?...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...228580&page=28 post #546
    Possibly, though I'm actually leaning on low tier with it, considering that even Medium tier Elven infantry should look more refined.

Two possible ideas for Imladris Rangers.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

..another Idea, cut out the shield though

Now these are images (a few I've already shown) but I feel that they are (arguably) nearly perfect for Imladris Rangers.

This here is a straight up copy of the Warhammer Shadow Warrior...

I really like the covered face and the elaborate...and yet simple armor.
    Ideas...suggestions, opinions?
    Last edited by Everto; May 04, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

I'd love to see LOTS of AOR units! not possible probably.. but that would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by banthapoo View Post
    I'd love to see LOTS of AOR units! not possible probably.. but that would be awesome!
    Its defidently possible

I know it's possible.. But it would involve a LOT of work! And the team have their priorities elsewhere.

VonSchlepp's Avatar Libertus

The Sindar were not clearly protrayed in the Prologue. But, remember
    that most of Thingol's armoury was forged by the Naugrim (Dwarves).

In the first battle in the wars of Beleriand:
    "...the victory of the Elves was dear-bought. For those of Ossiriand
    were light-armed, and no match for the Orcs..."-Silm p.96

Thus quoteth the Unfininshed Tales on Legolas's Grandfather:
    "Oropher had the wisdom to foresee that peace would not return unless
    Sauron was overcome. He therefore assembled a great army of his now
    numerous people, and joining with the lesser army of Malgalad of Lorien
    he led the host of the Silvan Elves to battle. The Silvan Elves were
    hardy and valiant, but ill-equiped with armour or weapons in comparision
    with the Eldar of the West; also they were independent, and not disposed
    to place themselves under the supreme command of Gil-galad. There losses
    were thus more grievous than they need have been, even in that terrible
    war. ...Oropher was slain in the first assault upon Mordor...Thranduil
    his sun survived..."p.271.

Noldorian Armor-
    The Noldorian armorers are greatest craftsmen of middle earth. Due to the
    time spent in Valinor, under the tutelage of the Vala Aûle, they are fabled for their unearthly or
    magical comprehension of metallurgy. Noldorian smiths produce the lightest and the strongest
    armor in Middle Earth. Only the Dwarves armories of the elder days produced hauberks that
    surpassed Noldorian craftsmanship for protection. Even the mythical Numenorian Armories failed
    to match the High Elves. tempered steel platemail. In the third Age of middle earth some Noldor
    armories are still found in Imladris (Rivendell) and Mithlod (Grey Havens). I would presume that
    only a handful of the craftsmen from Eregion (Hollin) would have come to Lothlorien following the

demise of that realm at the hands of Sauron in the second age.

A couple of cut and paste for ideas''''''''''''''''
    "Spaniards can be impressed by the courtesy of the conqueror,
    French by his riches, Greeks by his respect for the arts, Jews by
    his moral integrity, Africans by his calm and authoritative bearing,
    but Germans are impressed by none of these things. They must be
    struck into the dust, struck down again as they rise. Struck again
    while they lie groaning, while their wounds still pain them; they will
    respect the hand that dealt them."
    -Germanicus Caesar
    Roman general
    (15 B.C.- 19 A.D.)

sarastro's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Everto View Post
    Ideas from BFME 2 Mod...

Heavy High Elf AOR Unit (Rivendell Blades?)

AOR Rivendell and Eregion Spear Unit (Death Spears)

I like the Red, Ain't gonna lie

Knights of Amroth (AOR Heavy Cavalry for Amroth) likin the shields btw

An idea for a possible Ranger/Sentry of Rivendell (Possibly more spruced up)

Forest Warden Remodel? Id be all for it

Blades of Thranduil

Mounted Blades of Thranduil

Light Elven Archer

Light Elven Infantry (Add Shield and bingo)

Haven Gaurds (AOR for Mithlond)

Rivendell Cavalry

Lindon Sentry (AOR Unit for Mithlond)

So been gone for a bit, life caught up with me. Still working on my own renderings, but I hope this will bring up discussion and ideas for the time being.

I would love to see a 'short' bow unit. Something a bit in between a regular archer and a skirmisher unit. It must excel at hiding (perhaps even be able to 'hide' while walking?).

This unit should have a shorter range perhaps only half that of the regular archers, but have a much faster firing from regular bows. It should be very lightly armoured be able to move fast and have a good 'surprise' attack (charge = high?) but NOT be able to hold a line or fight prolonged melee battles since they carry no shield, only long knives or something.

These units would make excellent ambushers, superb at harassing an advancing enemy and be able to 'attack from behind the enemy line' units if properly used.

Also it would be nice if the different archers had slightly different roles: a defensive archer that moves around slower, perhaps has a little less range but carries more ammo and the more mobile offensive archer? As it is now, the higher tier archers are more or less upgraded archers.

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

Everto i have had a good look true this thread and im with you on your idea here.. eldar do need more units. more on horse back for sure. and the art concept of the first age i think would be better.

Im glad you put these helmets up here Sarastro, I haven't been able to find them on the internet. +Rep for that mate

I believe that the first two would be a nice addition to an elite cavalry unit... For Instance

Helmet for Noldorin Knights

Helmet for High Elve Nobles (I really like this helmet, and possibly if not nobles, than some other form of elite unit, but I think it looks plenty perfect for the High Elven Nobility

This Helmet on the other hand seems very ceremonial, but it could be definently implemented in the Silvan Roster for a guard Unit.

Quote Originally Posted by bazziman View Post
    I would love to see a 'short' bow unit. Something a bit in between a regular archer and a skirmisher unit. It must excel at hiding (perhaps even be able to 'hide' while walking?).

This unit should have a shorter range perhaps only half that of the regular archers, but have a much faster firing from regular bows. It should be very lightly armoured be able to move fast and have a good 'surprise' attack (charge = high?) but NOT be able to hold a line or fight prolonged melee battles since they carry no shield, only long knives or something.

These units would make excellent ambushers, superb at harassing an advancing enemy and be able to 'attack from behind the enemy line' units if properly used.

Also it would be nice if the different archers had slightly different roles: a defensive archer that moves around slower, perhaps has a little less range but carries more ammo and the more mobile offensive archer? As it is now, the higher tier archers are more or less upgraded archers.
    I definently agree with you there bazziman. I am currently working on renderings of AOR light, medium and elite (and i mean elite) ranged units.

My ideas revolve around Lindon Sentinels, essentially light archers, but extremely fast, same range as light elven archers, but more ammo, and better at concealing themselves. Also they will have a stronger attack (by like one point) but same defense. They will only recruitable in Lindon.

In Imladris there are currently two unit ideas. The first are Imladris Rangers. They will be recruibtale at the same time as regular Elven Archers (so medium tier). Their range will be further than regular elven archers, but less than eldar archers, they will have less armour, but more offensive melee attack than the other archers. Also they will be able to hide anywhere... (again AOR for Imladris)

In Imladris and Ost-En Edhil, i want to create an elite formation of archers who carry dual handed blades and whose archer mastery is superior to that of the Eldar Archers (higher ranged attack) and their melee is equal to that of the Eldar Swordsmen. They will be recruitable only one at a time, very expensive, very limited, extremely kick asss!

im sorry. i dont think i should even be posting this.

but i mean, the units that most of you are mentioning arent very lore like dont you think?

i like the units available. the elves were not warriors first, they were either farmers, woodsmen, or simple craftsmen. hey became warriors out of necessity, and they are great warriors. thats why the elves have 2 kinds of forces: the militias, and the professional soldiers. the soldiers are veterans of many wars, while the militia are just that. simple folk that took the call to battle by their lords. they dont need more variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

eugenioso i do understand what you mean. but dont you think that if they have being fighting so long that they would make new and different units to combat the wide variety of enemy units? I think they should. there has to be more in the lore than just the few units that they have. like if you look at the Warhammer games workshop units they have lots,

Quote Originally Posted by banthapoo View Post
    I'd love to see LOTS of AOR units!
    Me too. It would allow to have only one faction of elves, with noldor (heavy troops) AOR for Imladris and Mithlond, and archers AOR for Lorien and Mirkwood. Some AOR in Dol Guldur and Ost-in-Edhil too.

Quote Originally Posted by baz44331 View Post
    eugenioso i do understand what you mean. but dont you think that if they have being fighting so long that they would make new and different units to combat the wide variety of enemy units? I think they should. there has to be more in the lore than just the few units that they have. like if you look at the Warhammer games workshop units they have lots,
    You can't compare Warhammer and LotR.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos_I. View Post
    You can't compare Warhammer and LotR.
    Im talking about warhammer LOTR. you do know that they make the tabletop game of LOTR. they have the full licence to do so. i have three of the units books atm and there are lots of eleven units.

Im talking about warhammer LOTR. you do know that they make the tabletop game of LOTR. they have the full licence to do so. i have three of the units books atm and there are lots of eleven units.
    Ok so you were talking about Warhammer LotR. It's still not a reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenioso View Post
    im sorry. i dont think i should even be posting this.

but i mean, the units that most of you are mentioning arent very lore like dont you think?

i like the units available. the elves were not warriors first, they were either farmers, woodsmen, or simple craftsmen. hey became warriors out of necessity, and they are great warriors. thats why the elves have 2 kinds of forces: the militias, and the professional soldiers. the soldiers are veterans of many wars, while the militia are just that. simple folk that took the call to battle by their lords. they dont need more variety.
    The elves have a martial tradition that goes back thousands of years, they have been fighting evil for millenia, i wouldn't exactly call your average elf a "simple folk" kinda individual. They had professional armies and well trained troops, vast armies that marched against foes far greater than those present in the third age. This is a culture and civilization based on harmony, aesthetic beauty and perfection, agreed, but by no means is this a purely "peaceful" society. The elves of middle earth are a people who fight, and have fought far longer than men, to retain their freedom. All three charecteristics I listed are something they pursue in their martial skills just as in all other aspects of life.
    Elves are nothing but "just" farmers, woodsmen or my personal favorite "simple craftsmen", they are everything but simple. I disagree with you to a T that the elves don't need any more diversity. Really no need for any more discussion.
    Quintessentially I don't understand your view of no more units for the Elves, and most people disagree with your view so sorry manno. We're trying to make a game that is more fun and diverse... not less
    Last edited by Everto; May 12, 2010 at 03:38 PM.

I think that elven generals must don't have helmets like of gondor units,there is a helmet wich is same like elven infantry.

I tried to make a patch which will include deapaladin aditional units without modified eldar units and I succeded but I couldn't include eregion smits from lore mode.In battle they a ghoust.I think problem is with desc_battle model but I dont rezolved this problem,the game crashes.It is for patch 1.3-----Someone please help me and
    so High Elfes will become even stronger.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; May 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by son of romans View Post
    I think that elven generals must don't have helmets like of gondor units,there is a helmet wich is same like elven infantry.
    Agreed, the elven Generals need new helmets, and inmho a completely new look.

lol, the Warhammer models are a bit of a taboo amongst developers and the higher echelons of the TATW community, but they do present some ideas worth looking at.

Btw, these models my Koultouras, incredible! hopefully they'll be in the next release

Oropher's Chosen...still cannot get over how awesome they look
    Last edited by Everto; May 12, 2010 at 03:53 PM.