Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Elven Units- Discussion and New Ideas

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Icon11 Elven Units- Discussion and New Ideas

Edited 3.30.2011

ELVEN UNITS
    ~DISCUSSION AND NEW IDEAS~
    *A place to post pics, ideas, and converse about Elven Units*

The point of this thread is to create a place for discussion concerning the further development of the Elven Rosters. I want people to share unit ideas, source materials such as pictures, drawings, possibly unfound WETA designs, and anything else they deem would help to give ideas to improve the look of the Elves. I want to keep the discussion healthy and positive, seeing how we can approach the issue by creating ingenious designs that stay true to what we believe the Elves of Middle Earth should look like.

Accumulated Elven Designs, Pictures, Etc.

Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Designs & Illustrations
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Elite Elven Archer w/ Red Cape

Medium Elven Archer

Elven Warrior/Armor Concept

Elven Warrior/Armor Concept 2

Elven Warrior/Armor Concept 3

Elite Elven Archer

Elite Elven Archer

Elite Elven Archer

Elite Elven Archer

Elite Elven Archer

Elite Elven Archer

Elven Warrior Concept

Elven Warrior Concept

Elvenn Helmet Designs

Elven Armor Concept

Elven Warrior Model

Elven Warrior Model

Elven Warrior Model

Elven Warrior Model

Elven Warrior Model

Elven Warrior Model

Elven Helmet

Elven Helmet

Elven Helmet

Elven Helmet

Elven Helmet

Luis Bejarano Illustrations

Noldorin Infantry

Noldorin Archer

Noldorin Noble

Noldorin Spear-Guard

Noldor Herald

Noldor Soldier

Elven Shields

Elven Helmets

Noldorin Spearmen

Battle of Dagor-Aglareb

Elven Armor Designs

Silver Eldar Armor

Elven Leather Armor

(Light-Brown)

Elven Leather Armor
    (Greenish-Brown)

Elven Leather Armor
    (Black)

Elven Leather Armor
    (Dark Grey/Black)

Elven Leaf Breastplate

Elven Leaf Helmet

Embroidered Elven Leather Armor

Illustrations/Designs

Elven Guardian

Elven Guardian
    (Warhammer Shadow Warrior)

Imladris Rangers

Light Elven Archers

Lindon Archer

Elven Warrior in Battle

Light Elven Infantry

Elven Heavy Pike

Elite Elven Guardian

*HIGH ELVEN UNITS*
    Currently, my main focus is to improve the High Elven Roster seeing as I believe that they need more work than the Sylvan's (I'm saying this because I feel they are very well represented by mods like FROME, where a whole array of new and vibrant units have been added)

High Elven Bodyguard
    (Elite Heavy Cavalry Bodyguard)
    Extended Discussion HERE

So as a few of you may now, I created a thread about this topic, presenting all my points and arguments to the community, and found that overwhelmingly the idea was supported. So, here it is…

The High Elven Nobles, as they are, do not fit the standard model of the Eldar Army; they are complete replicas of the Warriors of Mithlond. Now the point isn't to say that the current skins of the Warriors of Mithlond are all in all not befitting of the High Elven army, but I would argue that the High Elven Nobles should not be duplicates of an AOR unit from Mithlond. The Warriors of Mithlond are, aesthetically, a unit that resembles a ceremonious parade garb. They are dressed in miss-matched garments, with a rainbow full of colors, and a complete lack of uniformity.
    Their shields are splendid, but again, they are not uniformed, the armor is elegant, but some of them are wearing purple tunics over their armor, which again, I find to be detrimental in its lack of uniformity. The Unit is simply to colorful for a High Elven Bodygaurd Unit. I believe as much as the next person that they should look prestigious and splendid, I simply don't believe that this particular skin is the right one for the job.

Now, arguably, this is fine for warriors that hail from an area of Middle Earth that has not had much need for a standing professional army. Their Elite Status and fighting skills can be attributed to their immortality and longevity, which means that they probably fought in conflicts gone by, and are wearing such garments because of the fact that they have lived secluded from the outside world because of their geographic location. They are veterans, they are elite, ok, I get it, but by no means do I believe that the High Elven Nobles, across the board, should be wearing the same armor as the Warriors of Mithlond. It simply, logistically, doesn't make sense, seeing as Nobles don't only come from Mithlond, they are all over Lindon and many of them reside in Imladris, and don't necessarily wear the clothing of "Mithlond Warriors".

I propose that the skins of mounted Mithlond Warriors don't be wasted, for they are a creative and bold design, but instead that the current High Elven Noble skin become an AOR unit, just like the Mithlond warriors, under any number of different names, such as; Mithlond Lancers, Knights of Lindon, Mithlond Nobles… or any combination of that.
    By doing this, the High Elven roster gains an additional Heavy Cavalry Unit (which certain people wished to see come to fruition) that is region specific and Elite, creating a further incentive to develop Mithlond's Military capabilities down the road, with a late game heavy cav unit.

The High Elven Nobles should be adorned in armor and clothing that is similar to that of the bulk of their Army, albeit "slightly" more lavish. Elves are the embodiment of harmony and efficiency, and in the military as in everything else, they practice those two principles to perfection. In a sense they are like the Roman Legions, the crème de la crème of their day and age; a representation of Elite military organization and armament. The reason I'm mentioning the Roman military is because the legions were armed and clothed like an army of clones, "harmony" and "efficiency", with their commanding officers and their bodyguards wearing very similar armor to that of the Legions.
    This aspect is something that draws me aesthetically to the High Elven military, and ever since I saw the epic first five minutes of "The Fellowship of the Ring", and the battle under Mount Doom, I have dreamt of the day that a game, (or mod) such as this one, will exist, and when I can command the GOLDEN LEGIONS of the immortal elves.
    First of, I believe that the High Elven Nobles should (if at all) wear similar, if not the same helmets as the rest of the army; key point being, cohesion. But then again, they'd look good without helmets as well..

There are numerous possibilities with the actual look of the High Elven Nobles, but one that I have found particularly appealing is that of the concept art made by WETA of Gil-galad.

Early design of gil-galad

Gil-Galad Collar

The overall look and design is superb. It's sleek, elegant, and not overdone and flashy. Notice that the figure is indeed not wearing a helmet, but a simple Eldar helm would do, or even no helmet possibly. I understand that there is the argument that the movies don't have everything right, that they are not truly lore specific or what not in every respect; the movies have created a vast majority of what this entire mod is based of off. The Elite units of Gondor, the armies of both Elven factions and much much more are based on the incredible work and designs of WETA. A vast majority of people, myself included, wanted to be able to have the armies that we saw on the big screen at our finger tips, and this mod brings those designs to life. That is why I believe that this design of Gil-galad would fit in perfectly into the look and design of the existing Noldorin army.
    They stand out from the common ranks and the Eldar Lancers because of their blue embroidered cloth, and the slight differences in Armor decoration. Also, very importantly, I believe that the shield design (which is used actually in the Mithlond Warrior skins) from Gil-galad should also be incorporated, because it likewise would help this New High Elven Bodygaurd Stand out as "ELITE".

Another possibility are these "Kinslayer" Skins, which could be incorporated with the shield that Gil-galad and the Warriors of Mithlond wear, albeit a little darker. Honestly, I believe that the Gil-galad model is perfect for the High Elven Bodyguard/Nobles, but it never hurts to put an idea out there since we're on the topic. Mounted, obviously, the slight differentiation in color made me take this design into consideration, seeing as the design of the Unit was similar to that of the Eldar Units, but had something a little different about it. Honestly such a unit may look to similar to the Eldar Lancers, but if anyone would be willing to make a design, it'd be worthwhile to see

As aforementioned, I believe that the mounted Mithlond Warrior skins should be kept, albeit as a Noble Mithlond Cavalry Unit. The Bodygaurd unit of the High Elves should be cohesive in design with the majority of the Army, and the Gil-Galad design would be the most obvious and well polished choice. The exquisite shield alongside the finely detailed cloth designs would create that perfect "Look" that would fit perfectly into the ranks of the Eldar Army and this mod.

On a side note, when it comes to the name, I find that "Eldar Bodygaurd" could work just as well as "Elven Nobles", or perhaps "Eldar Nobles". Food for thought

I believe that this should be a mounted unit by all means, and perhaps all white steeds to show how "pure" they are. The way the movies portrayed Elves and their steeds was, as far as I could see, across the board completely white. In all honesty, I find that aesthetically it fits very well, and should be taken into consideration quite strongly seeing as the rider is only half of the entire unit, the steed itself also is an artistic touch of the design.

So, in Summary. High Elven Bodyguard based on the design of Gil-galad by WETA; wearing his intricate shield, an Eldar Helmet, lavish Blue Embroidery and Collar, and riding a White Horse.

High Elven Swordsmen
    (Medium/Low Tier Infantry)

I believe that, as many people, the current "Elven Swordsmen" of the High Elves simply do not give the Elven culture and society the justice they deserve. They look plain, and not militaristic enough. The light archers fill their role perfectly because as ranged troops they would not have to look very militaristic.

I believe that a combination of Louis Lux current "High Elven Swordsmen" model and a more elaborate Elvish armor design would be the best answer to this issue...as shown here.

I don't believe in the unit being "unarmoured" because it is a borderguard unit, which is the argument made by Louis Lux, comparing them to the sentinels of Lothlorien. The Sentinels of Lothlorien where armed with a bow, and were in essence a ranged skirmisher who would play keep away whilst protecting the border. These units are melee units, close hand to hand fighters, and so they should be armored. The early archers or High Elven Sentinels (if they are ever implemented), don't need to be armored because they have a ranged attack. It is simply foolhardy to have the most wise and noble race have their basic troops look like peasants in comparison to the basic units of the Kingdoms of Men. They should be armored, lightly, but visibly wearing some sort of armament, the whole "unarmored border-patrol" idea is weak and unfounded when being implemented onto melee units. Seeing as the fighting style is akin to that of medieval Europe, whose border-patrols or whatever kind of patrols where in fact armored and militarized, even the most basic. The units that weren't armored necessarily were archers, which is fine seeing as their purpose is to reign death down from a distance.

*ELVEN UNIT PROPOSALS*

Eldar Knight
    (Elite Heavy Cavalry)

This has been honestly one of the hardest ideas to compile. It's not as refined as I'd like it to be, but here it goes…
    The Noldor have been fighting for Millenia. The battles that they took part in were massive, with some sieges lasting years upon years, and battles raging for months. They were the crème de la crème of their day and age, and I believe, still are. That is why they need a heavy cavalry unit. The Eldar Lancers are ok, but they are not what I'd consider a late game fighting unit. They die immediately, their horses have no Armor, and after the charge, are slaughtered… tear.

That I why I believe that the High Elves should have a unit of Eldar Knights, heavily armored horsemen who can steamroll through enemy ranks like a knife through butter. Make them extremely expensive, like where it hurts to purchase, but worth every Florin or w.e. the Elves use for currency. Stardust =P

First off, the Unit should be modeled on the look of the rest of the Eldar Army, but with a few variations. For instance, I believe they should wear the same Collar Design that Gil-galad wears, but not the same Cloak.

(

The Cloak could be all black with Golden designs for instance, or perhaps purple. Shield wise its difficult to decide for me. If you give them shields, they'll be the same that the whole Eldar army has, including the Elven Bodyguard and Eldar Lancers. I think, to solve this, they could be shield-less, but have some bad-ass looking lances. Their charge and their armor will make up for their lack of a Shield.

For instance, this armor, different than the average Eldar design, would imho, be very fitting, seeing as it follows a design that emphasizes the flow of nature in it's leafy ambiance.

or perhaps something heavier, like this Badass Design..

If you do believe they should have a shield, it could be like the Gil-Galad design except embroidered in Purple or Black instead of Blue, to make them stand out.

CHECK OUT THIS SHIELD DESIGN

Their Armor should also look heavier, with large shoulder plating and the like. Their helmets should probably also remain Eldar in Appearance, but perhaps with Feathers on either side of the Spike design on their heads.

Also, the steed should be one of two things, Either all white, or all black, and armored, heavily. The image below is just guidelines, and should not be copied all the way, but they give a good impression of Elven Horse Armor. I still believe that the Armor is way to warhammerish, but as I aforementioned, a good guideline..

An idea from another artist, perhaps something can be used, such as the Helmet?

One of these Helmets could be worn by the Knights, to create variation...

So there's that idea, not as refined as I'd like…but it's a start.

~IMLADRIS~

The High Elves of Imladris live in one of the last remaining bastions of Elvendom in Middle Earth, the home of Elrond. Yet they're home also lies in the shadows of the Misty Mountains, which has overtime become infested with Orcs and other servants of Sauron, making them a people who are ever vigilant and aware of the evil's of the world. Seeing as the threat of the Orcs is quite real and imminent, the elves of Imladris would be a people adept at protecting their orc infested borders from intruders.
    I currently find that the Unit Selection of Imladris is far too "standard", and believe that, as the last bastion of the High Elves in the East, it should be equipped with an extra 3-4 units, such as early game border patrol units like rangers/wardens, a heavy cavalry archer and any other number of suggestions (heavy specialized archer is my suggestion).
    These are my current suggestions for Imladris based units…

Imladris Nobles
    (Heavy Horse Archer AOR Unit)

The Imladris Nobles would be something along the lines of the bad-asses of the Troll-shallows. Heavy Cavalry Horse Archers adorned in a Red Garb of the Eldar. Quintessentially, here's the idea, have them designed on the Gil-galad model, Collar, cape and Eldar Helmet, but instead of a shield and a spear, give them a bow and arrows. Also, their cape and collar design should be a deep crimson Red design, a representation of the struggle of Imladris to survive against the hordes of Orcs in the Misty Mountains. They're Elite, one of a kind.

I believe that the Sylvan Elves should have a heavy cavalry unit, but recruit able everywhere. The way these bad boys would differ is that they're only recruit able in Imladris, and due to that, are extremely elite, and rare. Furthermore, They're Nobles, not just Veteran Soldiers, so their armor and aesthetic look should be reflective of that. They've chosen to be horse archers so as not to engage the overwhelming forces of Orcs head on in an area where they have been historically outnumbered. Through better military tactics and their superior Elven Archery, they will weaken their enemy from a distance, and then come in for the Kill when they see the tide of battle changing. They should have a 13 Ranged attack, showing their Elite status in comparison to the other Eldar Archers.

Their steeds, well that’s up to the designers, but I believe that all White or Black would look best. (Black would look pretty tight with the red capes) Just head and neck armor for the horse, so that they're fast and agile, but still well armored.

So in summary Heavy Horse Archer wearing Eldar Armor, Red Cape and Collar, Eldar Helmet, Mounted on White or Black Steeds.

(Like this except red cape and Noldorin Armor)

Imladris Guardians
    (Heavy AOR Elite Archer/Melee Unit)

This is a Unit I have been dreaming would come to existence one day. A heavy archer/melee unit, with both great ranged and close combat capabilities. Kaiser 1993 has already created a Sylvan Design of what I had in mind, that apart from the Armor and appearance, is exactly What I had in mind. So unlike the Imladris Nobles, these are Veteran Soldiers who have dedicated their life to the demise of evil and the protection of their Lord Elrond and Imladris. They are veterans of the wars of Beleriand, and have resurfaced in these grave times to go hunt the servants of Sauron once more.

They should be dressed in the Golden Armor of the Eldar, and like the Imladris Nobles, wear a Red Cape and also, unlike the Imladris Nobles, a Red hood covering their head. This design of the head should look like a compilation of these two designs.
    The first is a design of the Shadow Warrior in Warhammer, and I think that the covered face fits in perfectly with the overall look of such a unit. If you all disagree, that’s fine, I'm not that adamant about the face being covered all the way, but I think a red piece of Cloth held down by a golden Helmet would look cool, very eerie and dangerous.

This Helmet design is made by a guy from some Scandinavian country. Notice how the helmet piece sticks out. The current Eldar Helmets don't allow for a hood to be placed over the helmet because of that odd spike thing, which I love, but simply wouldn't fit in with this units look. So I believe that this HELMET design should be implemented for the Imladris Guardians.

They should be composed, on Huge, of 75-101 units, and be devastating in ranged attack as well as melee. That’s why I believe that they should be also armed, like kaiser 1993's design, with the two handed Elven blades. So quintessentially, a rare late game breed of orc killing finesse .

Armor and sword should remain the same, simply a heavy Cloak and Hood with different Helmet.

Another Possible Idea- (Replace White cape with Red, and include Hood, bingo)

They would be, obviously, expensive, and extremely hard to come by, so perhaps a special building? I was thinking that perhaps both the Imladris Nobles and Guardians could be only purchased once "Elrond's House" or w.e. its called was upgraded once Imladris became a Large City.

~LINDON~

Mithlond and the cities of Lindon are one of the most populated centers of Elvendom in Middle Earth. They are home to the great harbors that carry the last elves of to Valinor, and they are also quite far away from the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, let alone Mordor. They do not live in the shadow of any great evil, and there is no immediate threat nearby. In essence, there is no imminent danger, so their lives are far more focused on creating beauty and harmony. Yet amongst these elves live many great warriors of the Wars of Beleriand and many more. These are a people who, though content, do not stray away from picking up the blade if the need arises, and to march against the forces of evil.
    I see the elves of Lindon as more numerous in number, and thus more capable of fielding larger armies and different types of units, such as Pike-men. Yet I also believe that they would be in need of sentries and border units, lightly armored, such as Archers and light spearmen. Also, since they are a people near the sea, a unit of Elven Marines would also be seemingly appropriate.
    I envision that blue and white would be incorporated into the dress of these units, perhaps silver for armament instead of gold.
    Lindon Sentries
    (Low/Medium Tier Archer)

So this unit would be recruit able alongside the regular Light Elven Archers, except only in Lindon. Their ranged attack would be one point better than the Light Elven archers, as well as their attack. Their garb would be like that of the Sentries of the Sylvan Elves, albeit one thing. They would have an all white garb, except their cape and sash would be Blue, showing their more peaceful lifestyle and designs of Elves that have lived far from the troubles of the world.

A combination of the following two models...

The above color scheme...

Like this model, except, blue Cape, and blue sash.

Oh, and since they're Noldor, Black Hair.

Lindon Marines
    (Low/Medium Tier Spearmen)

These Guys would be identical to the Lindon Sentries, except they'd be armed with spears and a small shield. So again, White Garb, Blue cloak and sash. The Shield design I believe should be a strong Silver, and modeled of off the Troy Shield of the myrmidons-

The reasoning behind this is that the current Shields of the Elven Infantry simply look to plain and Viking-ish. A little aesthetic touch would be all that is needed to make them look different. Their attack should be the same as that of the basic Elven Infantry, but their defense should be higher.

Alternate Shield Designs to The Myrmidon Shields...

Here are my ideas… I'll try to refine them as I find more things to include. Please give your ideas and feedback, thanks for your time guys, and I hope that perhaps someone may give these guys a shot!
    Last edited by Everto; June 24, 2011 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Elven Units- Discussion and New Ideas

Well, you did not have to create a wall of text to say

light elven units look way too plane, lol

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

Also I know how everyone talks about an Axe wielding Elven unit... so here's an idea, just take of that silly Warhammer Helmet and plop on a Noldorian one and you've got a superb looking Elvish Axe Unit!
    Last edited by Everto; April 15, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker1 View Post
    Well, you did not have to create a wall of text to say

light elven units look way too plane, lol

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.
    I know Berserker, but people always say things, and don't give enough reasons or suggestions, so I decided to do both

Vaul's Avatar Miles

I started a big thread on this very subject a while back... In a nut shell - don't get your hopes up my good man

Vaul's Avatar Miles

Yeah elven axemen would be cool, lore accurate as well as giving them an AP inf unit. How about some elven phalanx type pikemen? Ithink there Inf would be well trained enough for such formations. I agree about elf light inf and forest wardens not being the best visually
    One does not simply walk into Pakistan!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaul View Post
    I started a big thread on this very subject a while back... In a nut shell - don't get your hopes up my good man
    I've seen your thread before Vaul, and that is why I thought I'd start a new one. You brought up a tremendous amount of valid points, and I agree with all that you had to say. Yet I want people to stop bashing the idea of the light Elven Infantry looking better, and instead give ideas, so thats why I began a new thread. As I said, Troyesque shields as well as Javelins.
    Pictures and Ideas, as well as discussion are welcome. And I'd love to hear anything else you have to say Vaul, as you and I are defindently supporters of the Elven Cause

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

FROME gives a lot of the things you want. Axe-elves, javelins etc...
    IMO FROME pretty much sates my desire for the silvan elves, though I agree that HE are a bit undermanned. I saw (I think Dea Paladin made it) a unit of Imladris pikemen, who i thought were pretty cool and I'm surprised they haven't been in any mods recently or been included in the game. I think some pike units, some lower-tier cavalry, and a wider variety of melee units would not go amiss for the HE. Also, reskinned siege weapons for each faction would be an awesome addition (like in the Warhammer mod!). It would be cool to have ornate, leafy elven ballistae, or big, iron and stone dwarven catapults! The Mordor ballista already looks different and really good, and the troll catapult animation is really cool, but it would be great for other factions!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    I saw (I think Dea Paladin made it) a unit of Imladris pikemen, who i thought were pretty cool and I'm surprised they haven't been in any mods recently or been included in the game. !
    Imladris Pikeman? Do you have a link? Id love to see them

Here are more Images that could give Ideas for New Elven Units

Noldor Sentinels is the Title, Notice the Helmet Design, Possibly a New Cavalry Unit?

Noldorin Knight Idea
    Last edited by Everto; April 14, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Post Edited
    Last edited by Everto; April 14, 2010 at 09:25 PM.

Think a unit for the Elves of Lorien called "Galadhrim Riders" with the Galadhrim gold armor but on horseback with machete like slashes instead of a dull sword or long lance.

Currently in FROME they only have have Lorien Scouts and Lorien Riders. Lorien scouts are good but since they are skirmisher units it doesn't cut it as the only good calvary unit. The Lorien riders just suck bottom line... Also if we could incorporate a unit into vanilla TATW called "Marchwarden Riders" which would be the marchwarden armor but on calvary and when their bows go out they turn into standard calvary. That would cut it for calvary as the Marchwardens are a fantastic idea.

You got some good ideas but don't get your hopes up... I don't think any of this will make it to 1.5 let alone 1.1 for FROME.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon's Febreeze View Post
    Think a unit for the Elves of Lorien called "Galadhrim Riders" with the Galadhrim gold armor but on horseback with machete like slashes instead of a dull sword or long lance.

Currently in FROME they only have have Lorien Scouts and Lorien Riders. Lorien scouts are good but since they are skirmisher units it doesn't cut it as the only good calvary unit. The Lorien riders just suck bottom line... Also if we could incorporate a unit into vanilla TATW called "Marchwarden Riders" which would be the marchwarden armor but on calvary and when their bows go out they turn into standard calvary. That would cut it for calvary as the Marchwardens are a fantastic idea.

You got some good ideas but don't get your hopes up... I don't think any of this will make it to 1.5 let alone 1.1 for FROME.
    Lol Im getting my hopes up . My main hope is that the Light Elven infantry gets revamped, if that happens I will be ubber happy. I hope that the great people of TATW will be able to make some sort of new models...

BTW.... IMLADRIS PIKEMEN.........Anyone know where I could locate them?

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Well, I certainly approve...
    But many of those images are from warhammer fantasy.
    I don't know the lore on this, but heavy elven cavalry don't seem to lore-accurate.
    They should have strong lancers with high speed and charge damage, but they should be vulnerable.
    Kataphrakts are already in use somewhere else.
    Also, I think the design of the models should be sleek and appealing, but don't dress them in incredible detail.
    They are part of a unit, and however elite, should have a simple uniform, make it impressive and gold if you like, but detailed cloaks and jewels in the armour are going a bit too far.

I absolutely agree with you Supreme Turkey Lord. The Elves should look sleek and simple. I don't like all the Jewelry on the High Elves in Warhammer Fantasy, but there designs and concepts are worthy to take note of. The helmets are way to pointy imho , so the helmet design could be somewhat revamped o fit the already existing models.

And btw, on the elven heavy cavalry, Lore has examples of the Elves having a strong connection with the Horses, which is reflected also in their military prowess with horses. The horse models shown here aren't cataphracts, they only have Armor on the Neck and Rear. I think the High Elves should have some sort of ultra heavy cavalry unit, like the heavy cavalry of Rhun, the new Arnorian Knights and the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth.

Yet I agree with you Supreme Turkey Lord, less flashy things and a more simple design are key to keep the majestic look of the elves.

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

//

I see your point Everto. In general one has to realize that the elves in middle earth are
    intelligent, calm, organized and kinda peacefull folk. They are no fighting machines and
    no firebold throwing creatures like they are represented in other fictional backgrounds.
    (and like on the last picture in your first post here)

So like you said it is important to be lorewise both from their appearance and their
    acting. i think especailly this with the Eregion Smiths Unit (and this) mod are going
    in the right direction there.

Anyway it is hard to find new fitting models that will fit completely. with the units you
    mentioned (and rated) you are right especially with the forest wardens which i dont like too.
    But i think the roster of the high elves is really good. many guys here complaining about
    the elves (HE) having to less different units, which i wouldn't say. the only thing that could
    enhance the variation is not to add new units but to add different upgrade-versions of single
    units with both weapon and armor upgrades changing their stats and appearance.

That would make much more sence. A little more variation enhancement would be to offer a single
    unit in a mounted and in a dismounted version. This would be the best solution to my mind since it
    would reflect the long lifespan of the elves in which they make a certain "military career". Like you
    already said - elves were only a few in that time and so this would make more sense than the
    High Elves popping out hundreds an hundreds of new different units.

Let's say we have a "sindar fortress guard" which starts as a weak and low tier spear unit with
    nearly no armor. After the first upgrade for weapons they could get a much stronger weapon
    and after the first armor upgrade the appearance and the stats could increase drastically.
    Looking like a new unit but it would still be the same unit. After some turns these unit is becoming
    available as a new new unit, the "mounted sindar guard" or something like that.

//

Shocked's Avatar Campidoctor

I like that Galadhrim axe unit there
    Computer specifications -
    GPU: GTX 780
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k overclocked @ 4 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3
    Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 4

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Everto View Post
    Imladris Pikeman? Do you have a link? Id love to see them
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=279596
    Yeah it's from Dea Paladin's mod. Haven't seen him in this forum for months, though. His reworked eriador replaced the (what can only be called atrociously horrible compared to KKs new Arnor units) old eriador units. He also has some other good ideas, like uruk deathbringers and the elven elite sword-shield units.
    ps: And please, no more warhammer pictures!! they make me sick when juxtaposed with Tolkien!
    Last edited by Ozzmosis; April 15, 2010 at 04:02 AM.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast