Thread: Tekunmur: The Diary of a Haradrim Soldier

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Tekunmur: The Diary of a Haradrim Soldier

Tekunmur
    Diary Entry...well I just don't remember now.
    Every battle could be my last, so to whomever may find this in the future, I have done what I've done unwillingly. Fear and terror holds me here, in distant lands, fighting peoples I hate because its the only thing that drives me on. I'm afraid if I stop now, I may hesitate, and I may end.
    I don't know the name of this place but I am surrounded by hills. The enemy stand atop a large hill, shaped like a head, with ruins crowning it, there are not many of them but they are skilled and we are losing many men. This legion may be sent home after this, but it will involve many dying, many of us dying, and even then our Masters may decieve us yet again and this nightmare, this endless war may never end.
    They will betray us, I know it, they always do, they always will.
    Entry finished.

Part 1-Mustering of the Haradrim...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Diary Entry 1- This is the start of what appears to be a war, a war for conquest and blood. I am eager and cannot wait to hew down Gondorian soldiers or trample them from atop my Mumakil. Today the lord of our household has come to us from his small palace in this city. He is a lord, but a minor one, but is lord to me of course, and my family and friends. We count him as liege and will follow him to the end.
    Today he called a mustering, my father and my two brothers went to the Rallying Field, I went with them, all of use were donned in armour, heavy and uncomfortable but it made me feel safe from anything. The Lord had preached about war and glory to come, when we finally throw down our Gondorian enemies. The Ally to the North has called for our assistance, or rather, demanded it and many of our men have answered, including our Lord.

Then our Lord told us to march West, he would lead us and we would gather somewhere I have never been. It is time. And so I amidst a camp of 700 soldiers prepare for war.
    Entry End.

Diary Entry 2-There are thousands of men here! I am amazed! I have never seen so many men bearing swords in my life, not in all twenty-two years of it. After weeks of marching across plains and deserts, we finally came to a more hospitable land. To the north lie many forests, I can see them with my eyes, and large dark mountains, but far to the northwest, I can see more mountains and for the first time in my life, I have seen the Ocean. It is far but I can see and smell it. We will be leaving the Ocean soon, I know, but I feel in the future I will see it again. Horses, Mumakil and other strange beasts are gathered here, our greatest Lords are also here and I feel like a speck of dust among stars. I would like these Lords to lead me into glory, in fact, I need this Lords to lead me. We are close now and I cannot wait.
    Entry End.

Diary Entry 3- After passing rivers and heavy woodland, we have emerged into a land that appears to have once been a dense forest, now thinned from lumbering and the fires of war. And there are dead bodies everywhere, Orcs lie foul and rotting along the ground, but among them, fewer though, lie men in heavy cloaks or silver armour, these men are fairer than us I loathe to say and they are taller. These then are the Gondorians! And their blood shall soon stain my blade.
    Entry End.

Part 2- Ithillien and Osgilliath
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Diary Entry 4-It was horrible! The cowards rained death from unseen locations and we could do little but hide and run in any direction! I must calm myself and write correctly! We marched through wooded terrain just like any other day, but the woods were silent and some of the men were uneasy. The four Mumakil in our Legion made me feel invincible though, what could possibly kill those beasts! But I was wrong. It started with what sounded like a whisper. And thats when the shouting started. I looked around and saw what looked like darts flying through the air, the man in front of me was suddenly knocked sideways into another men whose blood was already fountaining from his neck. I felt something strike me and I collapsed under a corpse of I fallen man, one that had fallen from a Mumakil. The Mumakil! I pushed the corpse aside with my newly found strength and stood, facing the beast, who was running wildly towards me. It trampled all men in its way, and it was coming towards me. I ran towards a thicket of trees where some our men were hiding, most of them were terror stricken but some were trying to retain order. An arrow plunged through the leaves and thudded into our Captain, a scarred old veteran who gasped something and then fell backwards out of sight.
    Soon another high ranking men gathered us and ordered us towards some unknown location. I just wanted to escape! But I followed him and he led us to safety. We soon found another travelling Haradrim Legion and warned them of the raining death. A day later we came to the site of the battle and to my horror. Among the mounds of corpses...was my brother!
    Entry End.

Diary Entry 5- The grief has passed but my wrath is so hot that I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to fight alone against one thousand Gondorian Soldiers for what they have down to me. But a soldier must stay focused and calm. I no longer believe that battle is a glorious thing that will make me a high lord, but I still seek it out for vengeance.
    We have come to a river where we met an Orc Captain. I could not believe how hideous they were but they still awed me. He told us to continue north along the river until we reached a city, a ruined one by all accounts and we were then meant to report to a Great Lord of Sauron there. He would give us our next command which would hopefully, not involve running into ambushes, I hoped it was battle but not the sort where we couldn't directly engage the enemy. But now the horn sounds again and I must prepare for march, today I expect to fight.

Diary Entry 6- We had finally come to the city. Its massive stone houses were rubble and its mighty pillars were crumbling into stone. But it was amazing architecture, greater than that of our own land's. Maybe we could capture a Gondorian Stonemason, to make our Houses look as great as their's, even greater. Thousands of Orcs were milling about on unknown tasks and the occasional troll lumbered through the wide terraces. Our new Legion had been seperated from the Mumakil who were too large for the city, they would cross the river by other means but we were to cross the river in a direct assault into the other half of the city. Now my fellow people were casually lazing about against the walls, polishing armour, sleeping or sharpening swords. I had been given a knife and a crossbow to go with my scimitar, I was hoping to use all three, killing one by the knife, blade and bolt. My other brother and my father had arrived with another Legion, they were grieved to hear of Teluknar's demise but they held their grief within, churning into rage. Rage that would be put to use soon...
    Entry End

Diary Entry 7- Glorious battle at last! We are victorious and I have finally claimed vengeance for my brother! The Gondorians seemed to melt away in fear and terror as the wrath of our people landed on the far shore. I vividly remember sitting on the canoe, my scimitar in my trembling hands when raining death killed some of the soldiers on our boat. Then a fire arose and our boat was kindled in flame, I and many of our fellow soldiers leapt into the water, finding it shallow and cold. I waded through the water, raining death striking down many around me. Dark shadows awaited me on the far shore and I started to run, so did the others around me. Shouts and crys filled the air as Orcs and fellow Haradrim landed on the other side of the city called Osgilliath. I took my first steps on land, only to be met by a angry Gondorian Soldier. Though I am ashamed to admit it, I was terrified as he struck at me with his long sword. I barely parried and could feel myself lose me footing, and then I plunged back into the wet, water splashing up into my face and clouding my vision. I thought I would be struck down then but a fell fire awakened in me and I leapt to my feet and thrust my scimitar at him in blind anger. The curved blade hooked through his armour and he cried out as I yanked it free, showering blood all over me.
    Then the battle became a blur. I killed my first Gondorian and life suddenly seemed renewed within me. I could only remember rushing through the grey streets and hacking down Gondorians wherever they stood, Orcs and Haradrim ran with me and the Gondorians fled before all of us. Victory was ours! It feels so great to finally avenge my fallen brother! But...this death, fills me with an unknown emotion I cannot name. It makes me feel regret over what I'm doing... but I just do not know...forgive me...
    End Entry

Part 3- Pelennorian Disaster...

Diary Entry 8- There is no rest for us. Osgilliath is ours but little after a day has passed and the Orcish General is preparing his fell army for march, we will follow with our Mumakil. I was assigned to the gruesome task of collecting Gondorian heads and dumping them in the ammunition dump, for what reason, I do not know. Every head seemed to look at me in question, asking why? But I couldn't answer. I've been assigned to the reinforcements, who will arrive twelve hours after the siege has begun, I'm not to fight in the city but I will be stationed to the north where we will watch for reinforcements coming to help the Gondorian Army. My father and brother will be assaulting the city personally. The sky is dark and I am depressed, I am tired and dirty, and hopefully once we take this city I will be able to clean myself a bit. Ha! Here I am in a war and I'm talking about getting clean...home life is still within me.
    Entry End.

Diary Entry 9- Our Mumakil is trodding slowly, with long strides towards the assembled army. I write this as we approach and the site to behold is wonderful. I can clearly see Minas Tirith, its outer, black wall is majestic and the six white walls that rise gracefully into the sky are aweworthy. Smokes rises from the lower levels of the city and I can barely see figures fighting on the large black wall. The gates are breached and legions of Orcs rush in, with the occasional troll as support. I can see Haradrim Serpent Banners flying from an army near the gate without Mumakil, most likely my family, but they haven't entered yet so I am sure they are alive, unless a stray arrow has struck them down. Other men from distant lands are with us, one next to me actually, his skin is fairer than ours but isn't as far as the Gondorian's, he is short and stocky though, and wears red and black armour. My conrades called them the Easterlings or the Men of Rhun, others were called Variags, all spoke a variant of our language so I am able to understand a little... strange... a horn has sounded.

Diary Entry 10- Men to the north, thousands of them on horseback are now charging towards us. Our Mumakil is being turned to face them and I hear the war crys of fellow soldiers. Orcs nearby are chanting something in a twisted language and the Mumakil lets forth an enourmous roar. I'm standing as I write and am resting the journal on the ledge of the leather carriage on which we stand upon the top the Mumakil. The Horsemen have charged, their green and gold banners are blowing furiously in the wind and they are yelling war crys ot their own. The main portion of their army turns away from our Legion and heads for the dismounted Orcs. I am shocked! The horsemen crash into the Orcish host and they are swept away easily, the Horsemen slow but ten orcs are falling for everyone of them. A nearby Haradrim Captain bellows something I could not hear and nearly five hundred Haradrim soldiers advanced towards the enemy host, all of them carrying poleaxes and lances, intended for impaling horses and throwing down riders. A small part of the enemy army breaks off and reforms less than three hundred metres ahead of us. They are doing.... Oh to all gods of Harad! The enemy fired raining death upon us and many of the arrows reached our carriage. I am on the floor now, my back against the small leather carriage wall and I am writing hastily. I am going to dare a look over the side... I am back, the enemy are charging and I have unlimbered my bow. Surely the Mumakil will trample them but now the riders are throwing tough spears at the Mumakil, who are seeming to take more damage from them. I am taking another look...
    Entry End

Diary Entry 11- The night air is bitter with defeat and loss. But I am haled a hero, but I do not feel like one. My brother and father are dead, I'm sure of it, dead or captured by the ruthless Gondorians. I left the journal as I took another glance at the battle. At that moment I spotted an enemy lord less than fifty metres from our Mumakil, holding a mighty spear in his hand, his guard were fighting desperately against a never ending swarm of Orcs. I pulled an arrow to strike him down but he threw the spear fight and our driver was impaled and he fell from his seat. I leapt over the carriage and landed on the bare Mumakil's head and carefully stepped towards the reigns but the Mumakil suddenly stiffened as if shot and then started running wildy to its left. As it ran it tilted until it fell, throwing me and all our men onto the grass, those that weren't crushed. At that point I was scrambling across the field, blinded by dust and pain. I managed to find my diary under the corpse of a Variag who had broken his neck in the fall and I tucked it in my belt. I called out and soon twenty of our men were milling around me in confusion, not knowing what to do. I tried to think of what a leader would do but I couldn't presume to guess. Within seconds mounted riders crashed into my small group, followed by those that had been dismounted. My group was nearly destroyed in seconds but I spotted a Rohirrim General, ordering his troops forward. I stepped forward knowing he was my goal and we engaged in a bitter struggle. I threw him down and two of his men and the rest retreated as our reinforcements arrived...

I must go now as we have called the retreat again. This journal entry will continue when we stop again...
    Entry End.

Note:I seriously had to go, that wasn't a stupid story decision lol.
    Last edited by Valandur; April 15, 2010 at 07:57 AM.

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Tekunmur: The Diary of a Haradrim Soldier

Nice work sir, welcome to the fickle world of fan fiction + rep

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Tekunmur: The Diary of a Haradrim Soldier

Thanks man.
    I've been wanting to do one for a while and was tossing over how I should make the story. I finally decided I'd do the Diary of a Haradrim Soldier and try to interprete what is was like for them in the war. I'm gonna mix the storyline of LotR dramatically and the fighting will take Tekumnur to lands that he has never heard of before but these lands we know so well in the books.
    Anyway, I'm gonna update it again tonight.

Part 3- Pelennorian Disaster....