Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just hate those Urban Spear Militias! :)

romy's Avatar Semisalis

Default I just hate those Urban Spear Militias! :)

Hey guys ,

I just wanted to know how could I replace the avaibility of the urban spear militia by the urban militia unit or by the early spear militia from the start of the late campaign?
    I hate the grey shields and the skins of those units and I want to delete them.

And you guys , how do you find them?

I hope you understood me.

PS: Are they going to stay like they are in further versions of RR/RC?
    R.I.P. Calvin

Default Re: I just hate those Urban Spear Militias! :)

Is it the unit skin that you dislike or is it the actual unit? It is easy to remove the unit all together if that is what you want. Simply remove the recruitment lines from the descr_buildings file.

If it is the skins then you must go into the battle_models file and change what skin files are used for the unit. Since it is a near-universal unit, that might take a little while to finish. The trick would be to find a spearman skin that you like and copy+paste replacing over the old skin reference lines.

The unit model could be better I agree, but they represent good-quality city militia that is a significant step up from peasant militia from earlier years. They are only available to a few factions anyway, with the Italian factions getting them earlier.

romy's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer me.

PB , I've one question : You're talking about those Italian Spear Militia(which have the look of the Urban Spear Militia) , are these italian troops historically accurate?I mean did really the Venetians , Genoese , Pisans , Normans(Sicilians) used those kind of shields?I always thought that those states had the same kind of "spearmen" than the western kingdoms.I know the Italians had few heavy troops and mainly militias(the best of the continent) but they were quite resembling western militias and low class troops.

I don't want to make pub but I played some mods like dHRR 0.8 and Eras Total Conquest in which the Italian States composed of militias wearing mail and shields(they looked like the western troops) , which looked more historically accurate and cooler.

I dislike the Italian Spear Militias , because of their look , and that's mainly why I don't like the Urban Spear Militias.I like the Italian States but I never play with them because of their main troops : these spear militias.I can't see Norman Knights fighting with those militias.It's maybe me but they don't fit together.Maybe later in the game(around 1300, maybe?) but not in the early game.

Well ,as you can see , English isn't my motherlanguage and have some difficulties explain what I want to tell.

What do you think guys , do you find them historically accurate?
    R.I.P. Calvin

SamZi's Avatar Civis

I've never liked the look of Urban Spear Militias either. The shields look silly and there's just something really stupid looking about the skin/model (maybe it's the fat looking legs.) It's pretty annoying having them in my Scottish campaign, the look just totally clashes with the Scots overall. Here's a reference shot. Love the look of the normal Spear Militia BTW.

I'm still playing an older version so hopefully this has been changed in the latest RR/RC. Changing the model wouldn't probably be necessary other than changing the shield but a reskin would be very welcome (along with a new unit card.)

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Well this is what the urban militia looks like with plate armour (remember as you upgrade armour their appearance changes also).

For me its the shields and the greyness thats annoying. They seem kinda out of place for some reason when your against england or something. It's like they just don't belong

SamZi's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfool View Post
    Well this is what the urban militia looks like with plate armour (remember as you upgrade armour their appearance changes also).
    That's the same "coat of plates" upgrade as in my picture. It is quite a medley of armor with what looks like a brigandine (in some cases,) mail, and plate for the arms and legs.

I second, the shields are hideous.

If anyone can model I will gladly change the shields, I find them unsatisfactory as well.

Oh, I wish I could model.

I'm totally useless in this department...

I would happily model some replacement shield, when I figure out how to export files into the .mesh format. Sadly good people of the modding forum weren't much help, and I ain't paying for milkshape.

Another simple solution would be to edit the texture files for the unit no? There are a few versions of the texture, but a simple palette swap shouldn't take much time. That would fix the colorless shields problem atleast.

I have no ability to mod graphics, but if someone can update the textures I'll use them.

Funny story about those shields, I was playing a campaign as Milan and my girlfriend looked over at my unit task bar and said "... Do you have loaves of bread fighting in your army?"

So I gave changing these round shields into something better looking. All I did was change the unit models that were used to that of the regular spear militia and copy+pasted over the appropriate shield skins for England. Havent changed the skins of the people themselves though. The sicilians have shiny "space" shields because I haven't copied over their shield skins. The urban spears are on the right.

Hmm, there is a a free unit slot, I guess I could use it to make an Urban Spear Militia for non-Italian factions that looks more like Spear Militia but starts with leather armor and is better quality; the Italian factions could retain the round shield - they get Pavise Spear Militia a bit later anyway.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

I quite like the round shape of the shield of the urban militia. I think the problem is not so much the shape of the shield but the plain appearance/lack of colour. It just needs a little more colour and the insignia appropriate to its faction etc.

Yes, all factions use the same texture, its not ideal

romy's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by RepublicOfClones View Post
    So I gave changing these round shields into something better looking. All I did was change the unit models that were used to that of the regular spear militia and copy+pasted over the appropriate shield skins for England. Havent changed the skins of the people themselves though. The sicilians have shiny "space" shields because I haven't copied over their shield skins. The urban spears are on the right.

Hey , it looks nice and way better in my opinion!Could you put your file with shields changed , please?
    +rep btw
    R.I.P. Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by romy View Post
    Hey , it looks nice and way better in my opinion!Could you put your file with shields changed , please?
    +rep btw
    Any particular skins you want for the people themselves? Also, the Italians don't have a "normal" spear militia skin go off of so I am currently trying out the Sergeant Spearman skins to see how they look.

In picture order: French Upgrade 1, French Upgrade 2, Venice Upgrade 2

Last edited by RepublicOfClones; April 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast