Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: Curial Election Commentary Thread

Saint Nicholas's Avatar No Avatar Specified

Default Re: Curial election commentary thread

Lots of new faces applying this time around. I'm sure many people would want to elect their chosen favourites or help bring in new blood. It's going to be an interesting result.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Is it only me, or is the CdeC vote a popularity contest? Since 2 of the successive applicants did not post in the debate thread, and if they don't take their time to do so, will they have time for their duties as a CdeC?

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post
    Is it only me, or is the CdeC vote a popularity contest? Since 2 of the successive applicants did not post in the debate thread, and if they don't take their time to do so, will they have time for their duties as a CdeC?
    Popularity probably factors in to all electoral systems, including ours. What may have some impact is knowledge of who the incumbents are, as it would accord with a desire to maintain if one were to vote for incumbent Councilors, since there's less risk if they didn't implode the site during their term I suppose. For my part, I always vote for the people I feel have shown they'll do the job the best from their responses, their experience, and what I know of them(this can be construed as popularity). The debate thread is an important part of this, and I rarely vote for candidates who don't participate in it, regardless of experience. But I can't speak for anyone but myself, and I won't make assumptions about voting trends as a whole.

We had a hotly contested race this time around and there were a lot of candidates so vote spread probably contributed. Overall I'd say that the candidates conducted themselves well and would encourage future applications and attempts. Even with Councilors who are on the CdeC for many terms it eventually comes to a point where they take a temporary or permanent break from applying. Such was the case with y2day this time, and such will probably be the case in coming elections.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

I thought Hotspur was the best Curator. Random but it had to be said. Even by a dead man, AL

In regards to my voting habits, I tend to go for the people that haven't had much experience or any. There are one or two that I know will do a job from being privileged enough to have seen the CdeC at work but mainly I'll vote for the new guys.
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I thought Hotspur was the best Curator. Random but it had to be said. Even by a dead man, AL
    Agreed, I think Hotspur was the best Curator that I've witnessed. That's keeping in mind I wasn't active for the terms of Spiff, Ferrets, Squeakus, etc.

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

In regards to my voting habits, I tend to go for the people that haven't had much experience or any. There are one or two that I know will do a job from being privileged enough to have seen the CdeC at work but mainly I'll vote for the new guys.
    If I cannot get your vote....

Well I probably got it the first time around though. I think I voted for all new guys as well. No offense to the incumbants that won.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

I'm of the mind that the people running for re election don't really need to post in the debate thread. We can see their work over the last few months by reading the antechamber. I don't think they have to go through all the motions again. They have CdeC medals, they have experience. They are trustworthy people that know how to judge a candidate fairly. So they retain their seats. Though Heinz was the outsider, I'm sure his popularity on the forum had something to do with him getting through..

Don't be disappointed abbs, your time will come when you are elected. I've observed that the CdeC councillors are mostly people that that have been doing the job for a while now. It is a hard position to get into. Patience.
    Last edited by Saint Nicholas; April 21, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

Patrician

And if one of three do not run -- there is an open slot each time even if the other two incumbants win. Heinz grabbed the open slot this time. I think there were many that ran and could do an excellant job if elected.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.

Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

On another note, you'd have a much better chance at being successful if you ran for Curator. Only two applicants this time around, less competition. Granted it's probably a harder more demanding role but it would get your foot in the door nice and set you up for a future seat on the CdeC. Curator position has more power than the CdeCers anyway right? Plus a seat on the CdeC.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

yeah i have to admit, i feel a bit the same way as abbews. I spent some real time and effort on my posts in the debate thread, and looking at my votes, i think i'd have done better if i hadn't even bothered.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Raglan von Döbeln View Post
    yeah i have to admit, i feel a bit the same way as abbews. I spent some real time and effort on my posts in the debate thread, and looking at my votes, i think i'd have done better if i hadn't even bothered.

Elzabar 2028.57%Heinz Guderian 2941.43%Raglan von Dobeln 1115.71%La De Da Brigadier Graham 1724.29%Captain Blackadder 1420.00%abbews 1318.57%the Black Prince 3550.00%Tzar 3651.43%Rebel6666 811.43%Subuatai de Bodemloze 1825.71%Abstain 45.71%Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. This poll is closed

Vote breakdown:

Incumbents
    ----------------

New guy
    --------------

The rest of the pack
    ---------------------

There were 10 claims for 3 jobs. Two old guys stayed, one new guy got in. {the "New" guy was the oldest amongst the new applicants.}

If there weren't so many running, at least one of the incumbents in all likely hood would have not, retained his seat.

Things to consider:

1. Some of those that ran for the 1st time were not "known" quantities. Their investments in the debate however laid a foundation for future elections. Next time out they'll already be known, and can build on what they displayed in this election.

2. Folks like myself followed the debate and made commitments to those that put in the time and effort.

3. If folks run for office in order to help the site, then it's a long term process. Not just a "imma goona win or go home" kinda thing. Reputations are not built in a day, they take awhile to assemble.

Thanks to everyone who ran and invested their time and efforts in the debates.

"We saw what you did there". And we will Remember....
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; April 21, 2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Edit & Grammar
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Patrician

I would also suggest that being active in the Curia prior to the election might help some. Fight for a bill that you believe in. Lead the charge to make the process more open. Sponsor worthy applicants for citizenship and be certain that the applicantions read well, clearly show the contributions, and generally impress the seated members of CdeC that you know what makes a great applicant. In other words, build up a resume. Then run. If you wait for the discussion thread to establish why you would make a great applicant -- there is very little reason for the citizens to vote for you rather than the incumbants.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

I only voted for people who at least posted in the debate thread. To me, if they dont even put in the effort to post in it, they dont really want the position. If you at least posted in the debate thread it tells me that putting in your application wasn't just some idle fancy, but that you wanted the job, knew your reasons for wanting a job, knew what you would be doing in the job (for the incumbents thats not so much required as obviously they know their views and responsibilities), and most importantly that you would put in the effort if you won the election.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Patrician

I will not be running to retain my seat. Four terms is enough for now (next month might be differant). I hope to see a crowded field of well quallified candidates as we had last month.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

just to spite you for not running again, NOBODY WILL RUN

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Prince View Post
    I will not be running to retain my seat. Four terms is enough for now (next month might be differant). I hope to see a crowded field of well quallified candidates as we had last month.
    i'm sad to see your not running, though it may well increase my own chances, your contributions have been appreaciated.

Quote Originally Posted by الرغلا ن معطف View Post
    hehe, I'm sure I've seen this before.....

You might wish to embrace the warmth and knowledge of familiarity. However if you would prefer to surmount greater scrutiny I'm certain we
    could happily oblige....

Sorry bout the copy/paste job but times not an ally atm...

Quote:
    2.If an applicant was not yet ready for citizenship, would you want the applicant to have a detailed listing of how they may level up their skills in order to attain citizenship? Would you take strides to see that that was done?
    to be honest i think this is more of a non-question since the rule change which means failed applications can still be stored. But advice on areas to improve upon and friendly aid is surely a good thing.
    To my understanding, that's the applicants call. In which case the query is still quite relevant....imo.

With respects to applicants responding to the same questions that they have already responded to in previous CdeC application debates:

In the eyes of the presenter the questions are still valid. Applicants may copy/paste previous answers if they so wish....Why should you bother?????
    It's a litmus test to measure your volition. Ergo, a bear trap.
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; May 01, 2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Edit & Grammar

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

Damn, still two months until I can apply for a seat. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    Damn, still two months until I can apply for a seat. Oh well.
    Imma piggy back dis...

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I echo the sentiments expressed above, although for me it's closer to 3 months.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."