Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Curial Election Commentary Thread

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Curial election commentary thread

Well said.
    Last edited by Katsumoto; April 18, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular in my posts but rather addressing the Curia as a whole; and to the group of citizens that would be put off, so to speak, at Nikos appearing offline.
    Last edited by Legio; April 18, 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

I find it a little confusing, because when I was waiting to be accepted to the social groups I didn't know if I should keep waiting or if I could go offline.

I mean say hes in invisible mode and you send him a pm, ofcoarse he may be on and reply, but if you dont he's online you might get off before he has a chance to reply to you because you think hes gone until tommarrow or something.

Him being in invisible mode is nothing serious but there are instances where it might slow communication, or cause misunderstandings.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Content Emeritus

In other words, the only inconvenience caused by this is having to wait an extra day for a nice red badge. I think we need to send him a sternly worded PM about this. But he might not respond, because he is invisible.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

To be fair though I don't think higher ranked staff members need to be on invisible mode. If you want 'privacy', you really shouldn't apply to such a prominent, public position.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Aikanįr's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

I can't see a point there either. I mean, of course it's unpleasant not to know when someone might answer, but that is not related to someone being visible or not, but only to the other person's willingness to answer or to do not. So basically it all comes down to trust and faith. If you don't trust someone or have faith in him being reliable, why would you elect him in the first place?
    What will you do, if the Curator is visible and does not respond to your PM or VM because he has other things to do or just is idle? Will you VonC him?
    But if it might be that important, why do you not propose it as an amendment to the constitution and see whether it might fail or not?

Edit:
    I didn't intend to be hostile
    If I've appeared to be hostile, then I've to appologise to you Nole.
    Last edited by Aikanįr; April 18, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Hey, no need to be hostile.

Anyways that was just an example, Not knowing whether he will reply or not is only a minor inconvenience that I though I should point out.

And really that's the only inconvenience that being in invisible mode would cause and I don't think it's a real problem at all because as you said it just means you will have to wait until the next day. And in truth if the matter is urgent you won't be getting off right after you send the pm so invisible mode doesn't even hurt communication in urgent matters.

EDIT: No, no. I wasnt saying you were hostile Aikanar, I was talking to Legio. lol your fine sorry about that should have been more specific.
    Last edited by Nole4694; April 18, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
    God Save The King

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    To be fair though I don't think higher ranked staff members need to be on invisible mode. If you want 'privacy', you really shouldn't apply to such a prominent, public position.
    Invisibility mode does not grant much privacy at all, as users can still PM and post on Nikos' profile. Also, it is fairly easy to tell if a user is online by looking at their recent posts. Staff members are not allowed to have invisibility mode on- this includes junior moderators and up. However, the Curator is not a staff member and is exempt from these rules as the Curia and staff are not one body.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanįr View Post
    I can't see a point there either. I mean, of course it's unpleasant not to know when someone might answer, but that is not related to someone being visible or not, but only to the other person's willingness to answer or to do not. So basically it all comes down to trust and faith. If you don't trust someone or have faith in him being reliable, why would you elect him in the first place?
    What will you do, if the Curator is visible and does not respond to your PM or VM because he has other things to do or just is idle? Will you VonC him?
    But if it might be that important, why do you not propose it as an amendment to the constitution and see whether it might fail or not?
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    The curator isn't at anyone's beck and call 24 hours 7 days a week? Away from TWC perhaps other issues overrides duties here, this is only a forum chaps!so if he wishes to appear offline what of it? if he gets back to you when you send a PM, do you expect it this instant? please stop thinking of you own what you want only for a change, the curator does his duty you cant expect the fellow to be logged in constantly just for your sake!
    Everyone thinks of themselves, think of other people for a change!instead of being over demanding
    Well said.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    They're not on invisible mode.

On that point it's not disabled for mods/admins, AL. The number of times I had to send PM's advising them to remain visible. Sheesh! Well it was a few times anyway :insert lame ending smiley:
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

may i just say that if it does bother you, raise a motion in the prothalamos and see what everyone else things of it. there is no reason why this can't become something passed by the curia, if so then future curators, and CdeC members and whoever will know that they mustn't hide if they run for such a position.

Exactly, for starters its a visible thing... People are less likely to do something bad if they see a cop standing on a corner Bad Analogy.. But you get what I mean, no?

Content Emeritus

What you just said proves the point why staff members should not appear invisible. That has absolutely nothing to do with the Curator.

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

None of the issues raised has anything to do with the invisible mode. To be honest, all that the invisible mode accomplishes is if a member has a choice of pm choices -- knowing that choice 'A' is online and choices 'B' and 'C' are not is the only practical difference. Since there is only one Curator....

Of course being on invisible mode or not does not assure you that the pm will be noticed. The Curator's computer can be on line, but the Curator can still be off eating a pizza. Or the Curator can be doing a bit of writing and not refreshing the connection.. Any number of reasons, all perfectly good, for why you would not get an instant response. Send the pm and go about your busniness. The Curator will get back with you when real life permits.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanįr View Post
    I can't see a point there either. I mean, of course it's unpleasant not to know when someone might answer, but that is not related to someone being visible or not, but only to the other person's willingness to answer or to do not.
    I find that statment odd, do you often send messages to people who are online and they don't respond? It's sort of a given fact that if they are a reliable person they will respond if they are online. Now who rightly expects a person to respond if they are offline (which invisible mode makes you appear)? No, so if a person sends the pm and sees that the guy is offline he may decide to get off before whoever can respond. So it causes a delay in communication because no matter if he responds or not it won't be until the next day that the person sees the reply.

Again I want to point out that I dont find this to be a serious problem, but it is there.
    God Save The King

Content Emeritus

Will it be that big of a deal if a private message is responded to the next day? This isn't the UN. Not even the model UN. It's an internet forum. It's not a big ing deal.

Oh before I say anything else I support that Niko and any Curator should be allowed to use invisible mode. As nothing is so important that it can't go another day without being seen to on this forum, not normally anyways.
    God Save The King

Aikanįr's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    I find that statment odd, do you often send messages to people who are online and they don't respond?
    Of course It's quite common if you're pming with fellow modders, while they work or you work, that even though you're online and they're online, pms might get answered hours and hours later. No big deal about it.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    Did it not occur to you even once that if the matter was as urgent as you claim, then he would respond quickly? He will know the situation no matter what, invisible or no invisible. As vitally important as some may wish this highly esteemed body known as the CVRIA to be, the fact remains that it is part of an internet forum, and as a consequence puts no actual restrictions upon the user. As in there is no obligation to be online every second of the day so that you can read a deluge of PMs from just about everybody of TWC. Tell me, what earth shattering consequences will there be if Nikos, or any other Curator (although I see this query to be directed specifically at him) answers to a private message......one hour after it was sent??? The fact of the matter remains that he will get the PM no matter how he appears on the site. Assuming, of course, that the ever vigilant citizen of Total War Center and the ever glorious body known as the CVRIA, send the private message on this matter of the utmost importance in the first place. Therein the fault lies not with Nikos, but with aforementioned stellar contributor who does not wish to PM Nikos because of a niggling doubt in his mind that Nikos is offline. The argument that one would not be able to find the Curator is a fallacy, as he can easily be found at his profile and reachable through a private message. Something we all seem to be forgetting is that Nikos has an assistant, who can act in Nikos' stead in case of an extreme endangerment to the citizenry of Total War Center. In the case that Nikos does not respond to said urgent correspondence, which I find to be highly unlikely to occur, then the fault lies not with the fact that he is invisible, but that he is hypothetically (as this is all hypothetical mind you, not that anyone would be bashing Nikos in any way) inactive. The hypothetical inactivity of Nikos has nothing to do with his invisibility, which makes it a moot point. He is there whether invisible or not, and if certain people are timid to send him a private message because they can not see the little light bulb under his name, then that is there problem.
    no u

Ah, ok then. I'm not a modder myself, and dont often pm modders so I dont normally experience that.

Hmmm, well now taht I think about it I dont even pm that much anymore. Everyone I need to talk privatly to I just IM. So much more convienent. I only pm when they are offline, how ironic lol.
    God Save The King

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Again, I repeat -- knowing who is on line only makes a difference if there are several members that can help you and you want to pm one who is on line. There is only one Curator. On line or not, visible mode or invisible mode -- it does not matter.

btw -- I often pm when a member is on line and then I discover the member logs off without seeing and responding. It is not a big deal.

Before this goes any further -- can anybody give an example of when the Curator needs to respond now? Heck, the Curator is not even required to be on line once a day, let alone at any precise moment.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.