Page 1 of 94 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Curial Election Commentary Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Icon1 Curial Election Commentary Thread

This thread has been rendered obsolete. Use the the Townhall or the election debate threads to comment on elections. ~Iskar, Curator

Curial Election Commentary Thread

• Use this thread to comment upon the elections sanctioned by the Curia: Curator, Magistrate etc.
    • Candidates and Citizens are encouraged to place comments, concerns, and observations related to a candidate or an election issue.
    • This is not meant to replace or to crowd out direct questions to the candidates that areaposted in the debate threads for each election.

Last edited by Iskar; February 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: header update
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Default Re: Curial election commentary thread

RE: CdeC Elections.

Kay Teacher...{}, since you've taken the initiative to name the place, I'll see if I can kick start the conversations...

Some folks have wondered if there's really any substance to the election debates or is it just a dog and pony show with the reality being just another popularity contest.

1. Well popularity will always be present and carry weight. Nature of the beast.

2. Any longstanding CdeC members certainly have accrued vast experience over their tenures, and this is indeed a priceless commodity. Now as to whether they have the individual drive & dedication to apply this to all perspective applicants can only be measured by their past & present job performance.

3. I for one have submitted questions to the applicants that I think are pertinent. Whether or not the CdeC applicants pay them any mind is at their discretion. However {IMO} if an applicant can not see their way to illustrate their quality in the debate thread I see no reason why they should receive my endorsement. {vote}

4. Folks are correct in thinking that even things such as the CdeC should be executed with some humor and not be sooooo serious all the time. This is a gaming site after all.

Welcome to and thank you for playing "Please don't bounce my appl. again for like the 4th time", "I'm really starting to develop an
    inferiority complex"
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; April 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Edit & Grammar
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

I'll just declare that I'll vote for the following, in order of preference:

1. Those who best answer my questions.
    2. Those who answer my questions.
    3. Others who take things seriously.

The citizen pool is something that substantially affects the site, so I'd like those who are in a position to affect it to think about the issue. NB. its significance goes beyond the Curia.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

I was talking to Nikos about a potential idea. Currently 'asking' for votes is frowned upon (if not completely forbidden, can't remember.) I was thinking that it might be cool if we allowed a sort of 'election campaign' for potential canditates. Like you could have posters and signatures and what not supporting certain members, and they could talk about their policy and what not. It could increase activity from Citizens, and get more of them to contribute to the Curia. What do you guys think?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

@ Mega: I would agree with those four distinctions. It is certainly important in my eyes that the Debate thread be utilized by candidates to evidence their thought process, and I've tried to respond to every question in my elections for this very reason. Past elections have shown that the #1 you listed is probably fairly influential though, but I'd ascribe it to name recognition more than popularity. If User X were 'popular' and they changed their name right before the election, I don't think it would benefit them nearly as much. Your fourth point is also important, which is why I always try to ask a 'joke question' or two, so that candidates have a place to vent their humor and can be somewhat srsbear on the topical questions.

@ Katsumoto: The problem, aside from the almost wholly negative effects of electioneering, is that candidates are rarely polar opposites when it comes to procedural matters. We simplify politics for the numskull voters by taking complex real world situations and stuffing them into a tiny box called an 'issue', then saying "Check Yes or No". In the Curia, the complex situations are understood by the majority of voters, so they need not be simplified. Complex as they are, it's also impossible to separate one opinion from another, since some are inextricably linked. I don't have one singular position on any form of contribution, it's extremely case by case, so all I can do is attempt to explain some of the logic which factors in to the reasoning. Sadly, that doesn't fit in a signature quite as nicely as "Loves killing babies" or "Progressive scum".

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

I see, that makes sense, thanks for the response.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

RE: The Curator debate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    We don't know if Nikos is on or not, he uses invisible mode!
    Could someone layout the relevancy please.

To my eyes the Curator is also a TWC member and if he/she chooses to run in invisible mode, that is entirely their prerogative. Now personally I'd come to your house, drag you out of a sound sleep and thrash you til daylight for doing it. Be too legit to quit Damn it!!!

Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; April 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: grammar

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze View Post
    RE: The Curator debate thread.

Could someone layout the relevancy please.

To my eyes the Curator is also a TWC member and if he/she chooses to run in invisible mode, that is entirely their prerogative. Now personally I'd come to your house, drag you out of a sound sleep and thrash you til daylight for doing it. Be too legit to quit Damn it!!!
    Moderation staff and admins have invisible mode off so members know they're around if they need to ask questions. Something Tac told me to do in my early days after he caught me skulking around. Others don't have this obligation, but the Curia may decide otherwise for their elected officers.

Thank you, Pann...

In the time I've been on site I can recall no instance in which an official such as a Curator has missed a vote or roll call due to the personal choice of roaming these hallowed halls like the invisible man. As much as I personally find the practice distasteful I can see no current rationale to place such a restriction on folks such as a benevolent, old cogger as the Curator.

All those against this freedom, step forward and start your engines.....
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; April 17, 2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: grammar

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

I utilized Invisible Mode for a while, mainly because I dislike the stalking aspect of 'Currently Viewing' features, which screams bad qualities of social media. Certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone else the liberty, as it doesn't have bearing on whether or not they respond to queries or perform duties. As pann said, Moderators and Admins are a different matter, though I'm fairly certain we have it disabled for them.

RE:The utilization of Invisible mode by non-Admin/Moderation office holders

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Moderation staff and admins have invisible mode off so members know they're around if they need to ask questions. Something Tac told me to do in my early days after he caught me skulking around. Others don't have this obligation, but the Curia may decide otherwise for their elected officers.

Others don't have this obligation, but the Curia may decide otherwise for their elected officers.
    If there is any merit to this being an issue let it be brought forth now while the discussion of it is fresh in the mind and focus easily attained on the issue. I'll maintain that curial, non essential personal should be entitled to present themselves as they see fit. With or without using the invisible status feature.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's ite....you don't need to see me, you don't need to know me cuz imma roll fast and swift and take you out....

All in opposition to the blatant in your face use of "invisible mode" please make yourself known....
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; April 18, 2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: grammar: like that's a shocker.

Saint Nicholas's Avatar No Avatar Specified

Invisible mode is there to be used or not. It's up to the person as to which they prefer. It's a free forum, If people don't want other people knowing they are online then they should have the option to appear 'invisible'. Trust in our elected officials.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

I have made myself known, for I was at the Quarterdeck at 6 Bells and all was well.. Then I heard news that a certain King of England was massing an army to face me, so here I am...

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

oh for s sake, does it hamper his ability to function as curator in any way if he uses invisibility mode or not? does it impede his abilities to serve the curia and twc? does it in any way, shape, or form do some great injustice to this internet forum and its plethora of wannabe lawyers? no? i thought so.

People do sometimes need to contact Nikos and if they perenially see him 'offline' it does not send the best message, does it?

Content Emeritus

Will a private message not send itself if the user is offline? Does our curator's ability to view the Townhall thread disappear once he clicks the 'appear invisible' option in his user control panel? No. He is just as reachable as he would be if he was appearing online.

Put it this way, I would much rather know that someone is online and then send them a message, also, if something goes wrong etc and we cant even find him, its not good.. Sure he will rpely to the PM but if can't see him any other time...

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

I find it a little confusing, because when I was waiting to be accepted to the social groups I didn't know if I should keep waiting or if I could go offline.

I mean say hes in invisible mode and you send him a pm, ofcoarse he may be on and reply, but if you dont he's online you might get off before he has a chance to reply to you because you think hes gone until tommarrow or something.

Him being in invisible mode is nothing serious but there are instances where it might slow communication, or cause misunderstandings.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Content Emeritus

Did it not occur to you even once that if the matter was as urgent as you claim, then he would respond quickly? He will know the situation no matter what, invisible or no invisible. As vitally important as some may wish this highly esteemed body known as the CVRIA to be, the fact remains that it is part of an internet forum, and as a consequence puts no actual restrictions upon the user. As in there is no obligation to be online every second of the day so that you can read a deluge of PMs from just about everybody of TWC. Tell me, what earth shattering consequences will there be if Nikos, or any other Curator (although I see this query to be directed specifically at him) answers to a private message......one hour after it was sent??? The fact of the matter remains that he will get the PM no matter how he appears on the site. Assuming, of course, that the ever vigilant citizen of Total War Center and the ever glorious body known as the CVRIA, send the private message on this matter of the utmost importance in the first place. Therein the fault lies not with Nikos, but with aforementioned stellar contributor who does not wish to PM Nikos because of a niggling doubt in his mind that Nikos is offline. The argument that one would not be able to find the Curator is a fallacy, as he can easily be found at his profile and reachable through a private message. Something we all seem to be forgetting is that Nikos has an assistant, who can act in Nikos' stead in case of an extreme endangerment to the citizenry of Total War Center. In the case that Nikos does not respond to said urgent correspondence, which I find to be highly unlikely to occur, then the fault lies not with the fact that he is invisible, but that he is hypothetically (as this is all hypothetical mind you, not that anyone would be bashing Nikos in any way) inactive. The hypothetical inactivity of Nikos has nothing to do with his invisibility, which makes it a moot point. He is there whether invisible or not, and if certain people are timid to send him a private message because they can not see the little light bulb under his name, then that is there problem.
    Last edited by Legio; April 18, 2010 at 01:31 PM.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    Did it not occur to you even once that if the matter was as urgent as you claim, then he would respond quickly? He will know the situation no matter what, invisible or no invisible. As vitally important as some may wish this highly esteemed body known as the CVRIA to be, the fact remains that it is part of an internet forum, and as a consequence puts no actual restrictions upon the user. As in there is no obligation to be online every second of the day so that you can read a deluge of PMs from just about everybody of TWC. Tell me, what earth shattering consequences will there be if Nikos, or any other Curator (although I see this query to be directed specifically at him) answers to a private message......one hour after it was sent??? The fact of the matter remains that he will get the PM no matter how he appears on the site. Assuming, of course, that the ever vigilant citizen of Total War Center and the ever glorious body known as the CVRIA, send the private message on this matter of the utmost importance in the first place. Therein the fault lies not with Nikos, but with aforementioned stellar contributor who does not wish to PM Nikos because of a niggling doubt in his mind that Nikos is offline. The argument that one would not be able to find the Curator is a fallacy, as he can easily be found at his profile and reachable through a private message. Something we all seem to be forgetting is that Nikos has an assistant, who can act in Nikos' stead in case of an extreme endangerment to the citizenry of Total War Center. In the case that Nikos does not respond to said urgent correspondence, which I find to be highly unlikely to occur, then the fault lies not with the fact that he is invisible, but that he is hypothetically (as this is all hypothetical mind you, not that anyone would be bashing Nikos in any way) inactive. The hypothetical inactivity of Nikos has nothing to do with his invisibility, which makes it a moot point. He is there whether invisible or not, and if certain people are timid to send him a private message because they can not see the little light bulb under his name, then that is there problem.
    no u

Page 1 of 94 12345678910112651 ... LastLast