Thread: DBEditor

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Default DBEditor

Any chance of someone updating the DBEditor by LtChambers working for NTW? Now that I have gotten into modding this tool is much more expedient than PFM. No offense to the PFM people but all that manual typing is getting old really fast.

Default Re: DBEditor

I just found in another thread someone stated that you can use the ETW DBEditor in NTW by changing the NTW pack file into a movie type using PFM and then open it in DBE. Anyone tested that yet? I am at work so cannot test myself atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazbones View Post
    Any chance of someone updating the DBEditor by LtChambers working for NTW? Now that I have gotten into modding this tool is much more expedient than PFM. No offense to the PFM people but all that manual typing is getting old really fast.
    I completely understand. Maybe I'll update it at some point. Unfortunately, I'm the only programmer working on tools atm. If you or someone else is willing to help, I can tell you the basic changes that need to be made. They do not include programming. They involve the db schema which are similar to the db file type .txts that the PFM uses. All you need is Notepad and to copy/paste. If people will step up to help, then I will oversee the process.

In the meantime, here are a few tips that make using the PFM much easier:
    1) Don't forget you can copy/paste cells by right-clicking. You can even do this between instances of the PFM: have the table you're copying from open in one instance and the table you're copying to open in another.
    2) To make life very easy--even easier than the DBEditor--export your tables to .TSV.

• Right-click on the .TSV and open it with Excel or Calc (the latter is free and part of OpenOffice).
    • Make your changes with all the handy spreadsheet tools. Select Save As, uncheck automatic filename extension, check Edit Filter Settings and click on save.
    • In the following dialog, delete the Text Delimiter (should be " normally) and click on OK.
    • You can save as .CSV if you want. Just follow the above and change the value separator to "Tab" and then right-click on the document icon and replace .CSV with .TSV. PFM will import it without trouble.

Yeah I have been doing the tsv thing off and on but going through the motions through piles of tables really makes modding slow. I think in a relational approach (IE: the DBE) you have alot of the data available to you by simple clicks which is still tedious but faster than doing the export method. This is just from my experience using both methods now extensively.

I like what you are doing with all the different tools so don't stop. Keep it up because alot of people are relying on you to somehow do what CA has refused so far.

I'd like to help if you can school me on what needs to be done to DBE to get it up and rolling. I know you have other things you'd like to focus on but we really need more like you with the "skillz".

Quote Originally Posted by Hazbones View Post
    Yeah I have been doing the tsv thing off and on but going through the motions through piles of tables really makes modding slow. I think in a relational approach (IE: the DBE) you have alot of the data available to you by simple clicks which is still tedious but faster than doing the export method. This is just from my experience using both methods now extensively.

I like what you are doing with all the different tools so don't stop. Keep it up because alot of people are relying on you to somehow do what CA has refused so far.

I'd like to help if you can school me on what needs to be done to DBE to get it up and rolling. I know you have other things you'd like to focus on but we really need more like you with the "skillz".
    Thanks for volunteering. Let me take a look at it and PM you. I imagine we can find a couple other volunteers to make short work of it.

Ok. Standing by to get my "knowledge" on.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

I actually prefer the PFM however it is FORCING me to use DBEditor..... can't I choose which?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo11 View Post
    I actually prefer the PFM however it is FORCING me to use DBEditor..... can't I choose which?
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying. Are you referring to ETW?

I have actually created an Access DB that does something sort of like DBE. You can check it out over HERE: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...11#post7150011