Thread: Byzantine unit list

Default Byzantine unit list

Is there one for RC/RR? Just want to know when eras change, when I can retrain Scholae/siphon-dudes etc.

Default Re: Byzantine unit list

Scholarii and Siphonotores are recruited from the military academy and highest two tiers of barracks in Constantinople. In my Late Era campaign I was able to retrain those guys once I had recaptured Constantinople and built the necessary buildings, so I can at least confirm that around 1250 or so you can retrain. Also, need a mayor's palace for the Varangian Guard.
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Byzantine unit list

About Scholarii and Siphonatores, you can always retrain them, the only difference is that till 1200s (I think) you can't recruit more units than the ones you start with. Done for gameplay balance issues.

Pretty sure that the only units that do not become available by 1200s are Pronoiarii, various gunpowder units and pikemen. I do also recall that on early campaigns you have to rely on Stratiotae and acritae as your only cavalry for quite a bit.( and some you start with but you can't ecruit more of those just retrain the ones you get).. but I have not played an early campaign for ages (let alone a byzantine early one)
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.