Thread: Wigs

Default Wigs

How come there are wigs in NTW and not in ETW?

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: Wigs

Quote Originally Posted by brucedickenson View Post
    How come there are wigs in NTW and not in ETW?
    At the beginning of the 18th century, powdered wigs weren't in style, towards the end of the 18th century, they were widespread, and gradually declined in the early 19th.

Cool thanks

I always thought the wigs were more in fashion in the late 17th century and only in the early 18th century

Lord Horatius's Avatar Civis

Still, They should be in Empire, as Empire covers 1700 to 1799... Oh well, an incentive for me to buy Napoleon.

Wigs were quite interesting. You basically covered the things in flour in order to make them look whiter.

The downside to this was that you had rats knawing at your cue, which can't have been plesent

Common soldiers usually wore no wigs, but their natural hair was styled and - for formal duties - powdered to resemble wigs. The Prussians brought this to absolute perfection as the way the soldies wore their hair was strictly and precisely regulated. From 1714 to 1786, the tail was exactly 56 centimeters long, and was then gradually reduced in length until it finally only reached the lower end of the collar when it was abandoned in spring 1807. However, soldiers still had to powder their hair for parades - this practice was abolished only in 1812.

The last German state to abandon the "Soldatenzopf" (soldiers tail) and the powdered hair was Hesse-Cassel. When the state was restored after the Napoleonic time in 1814, the returning Prince-Elector wanted to bring his country back to what it was like before 1806. So he also reintroduced tails and powdered hair for his soldiers, and wigs for the officers. It was only after his death in 1821 that all this disappeared for good.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Nice, great info Korporal, + rep, and I also think these should have been in Empire, of course it's a whole century and in the beginning other wigs were popular (the only thing that has been popular the whole century was the tricorne hat) But then again white powdered wigs were worn almost the entire century with the white wigs that we see in NTW from around 1750? or something like that. It just depends of were you focus on. I guess CA has focussed itself more on the beginning then on the late 18th century. You see the difference in NTW were they focussed on later 18, beginning 19th century so (those) wigs were probably more common then.

Still I wished they were in Empire, it just makes it... more real I guess.

Sebidiah's Avatar Miles

It would be great if there was a mod to give men wigs on empire

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidiah View Post
    It would be great if there was a mod to give men wigs on empire
    I totally support this idea! if wigs could be implemented this into Empire... then... Just wow

Lord Horatius's Avatar Civis

I'm all for it! Huzzah for Tricorns and powdered wigs!

Sebidiah's Avatar Miles

How did you get a picture of my Nan may I ask?

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    Theres nothing like a good "syrup" I can tell you....

Wahahaha, + rep there old boy!

EDIT: apparently I can't rep you and I must spread it around more. Help me remind to rep you later there chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidiah View Post
    How did you get a picture of my Nan may I ask?
    You probably don't want to know

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    ♔Oggie♔ thanks old bean, now it has to be pointed out that your signature is inaccurate sir, please amend it forthwith and post haste wont you?

Member Senex Magnus of the The Most Ancient, Puissant and Honorable Society of Silly Old Duffers.

As for how I came by that splendid lithographic rendering, "a gentleman never tells"!
    I'm honoured, sir, really I am.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

But back on topic: Wouldn't it be splendid if someone kind of remade Empire with Napoleon Total War.
    I mean. Napoleon has the wigs and tricornes and uniformes of the late 18th century. It has the map of europe and more country's.
    If it is possible (I think I saw something on the NTW mods thread) to implement the map from ETW into NTW then that would add to it.
    Wigs, India, America, Revolution, that would be quite splendid now wouldn't it.

It is too bad that I do not have any skills at modding, so I can not do this.
    I see some members of this forum busy with this sort of stuff, for instance: General William Howe, is busy with Prussian and Swedish 18th century units.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=347003

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Moved to Historical Research, let me know if you want it moved to mod WIPS/Ideas.

PM me with any questions.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]