Thread: RTW Installation Help

Rainbow Dash's Avatar Senator

Default RTW Installation Help

I just got a new comp, and everything has been working fine, except that I can't install Rome Total War Gold Edition properly!

My computer is a Gateway NV53 laptop, the specs can be found here. I just got this computer yesterday, and it has been running fine, with no problems whatsoever. I am running Windows 7 on it, by the way.

Yesterday, I installed Medieval II Total War, with no problems whatsoever. I've played the tutorial stuff, and it runs great.

Today, I downloaded the file that I uploaded to MediaFire before I got my new comp, which contains all the stuff I wanted to save from my old comp. It consists of all my Med II saves, all my RTW saves, a bunch of my Civ IV saves, along with a few screenshots, all my Spore things, and 4 videos. You see, I had already installed MedII and RTW on my old comp long before I got this new one.

Anyway, I downloaded this file, extracted it to my desktop, and moved my Med II saves from the downloaded file into the Med II saves folder (which is still in the same inconvenient place as Vista). I also turned off User Account Control, and turned on "Show hidden files and folders".

I then tried to install RTW. I put disk 1 (I am using the old 3-disk version) in, started to install it, and everything was going fine. I installed GameSpy Arcade with no problems, but then when it started to try installing "...\data\packs\patch_0.pak", the disk drive made a noise, and it stopped installing, meaning the bar stopped moving, and it stopped making installing noises. After a bit, it gave me this error:

It seems like its coming from the disk drive, but I have no idea why. The install was going completely fine until this happened, and Med II installed perfectly.

So, I canceled the install, and got rid of the unzipped folder containing the RTW saves (yes, I emptied the recycle bin after...). I tried installing again, and the same thing happened, so its probably not those.

Any solutions? I really do need a solution by the 11th, as on the 12th, me and my friend are supposed to be hosting an RTW LAN tournament. Please help!
    Formerly
    ElMikkino

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: RTW Installation Help

That means 90% of the time, there is something wrong with the disc.

Clean it and check it for dirt, scratches, fincerprints, cracks in the plastic.

I have Win 7 with the UAC disabled and it installed like a dream after disc one got a little toothpaste treatment for the scratches.

Well, cleaning it gently with water and soap didn't work (this method seems idiotic, but the way my mom does, it always works when its just dirt). So, I bet its all the small scratches that are on the disk. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix them, or is it impossible?

If it is, is it possible to upload the RTW program files on to MediaFire, and then download them again on to my new comp? If I put everything in the right place, will it work? And don't worry, I'll make it so only I can download the RTW program files.
    Formerly
    ElMikkino

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Uploading unmodded material is illegal and a good way to get banned here.

Use a little toothpaste and plenty of elbow grease. It worked for me. Just make sure to get all the residue off.

Well, the toothpaste did not work. I don't think anything will, there's a deep gouge in it that would be impossible to fix, and I'm pretty sure that's what's causing it. Thanks anyway...
    Formerly
    ElMikkino

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I agree - if there is a deep scratch there is a very good chance that you will never get it to work again. I know there are some disc repair kits out there but I've never had to use them yet.

I can only suggest that keeping them inside the original cases or similar is the way to go.

Even that is no guarantee as my original RTW BI disc (left in the DVD drive) decided to 'spool up' for some reason and explode in the drive - so that system lost it's second drive.....

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here