Thread: My first mod, having trouble installing it.

Default My first mod, having trouble installing it.

This is my first attempt at modding anything in the Total War series. With the help of various tutorials around the site, I thought I'd take a shot at creating a new unit: Sharpe's Rifles.

I created a new unit based off the British Rifles, cloning and modifying their rows in:
    - building_units_allowed
    - uniform_to_faction_colours
    - uniforms
    - unit_required_technology_junctions
    - unit_stats_land
    - unit_to_unit_abilities_junctions
    - units

My goals for this unit were:
    - Increased accuracy.
    - Increased melee attributes.
    - Inspires nearby units.
    - Scares enemy.
    - Unique icon and info picture.
    - Limited to 1.

I also tried experimenting with rifle bullets in the projectiles table, doubling the range and reducing the reload time to two shots a minute.

However, the mod refuses to run. I've added the user.script and set the pack type as a mod, but other than that I'm not sure what's left.

I realise I may have missed something, here's the file if anyone wants to skim through it.

Default Re: My first mod, having trouble installing it.

You've got a good start, you just need to attend to some of the details:
    1) Right-click in the left window and change the mod type to "mod".
    2) Rename all you DB tables. The name doesn't matter, just rename them.
    3) Go through all your tables and shift-click in the empty, gray cells to select the unmodified rows. Press delete.
    4) Redo your .unit_variant files. Somehow they've been turned into pack files.

Thank you very much for the assistance, but I'm still having some trouble. I made all the changes you suggested but I'm not sure if the mod is working. I'm not sure where to find the new unit I created so I'm checking the range of riflemen to see whether the mod has taken effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman Pendleton View Post
    Thank you very much for the assistance, but I'm still having some trouble. I made all the changes you suggested but I'm not sure if the mod is working. I'm not sure where to find the new unit I created so I'm checking the range of riflemen to see whether the mod has taken effect.
    One way to test is to make your unit recruitable at the very beginning of the game or in custom battles. If it's there, then change it back to the values you really want for recruitment.

How would I go about making a unit available for custom battles?

How would I go about making a unit available for custom battles?
    Go to units_tables, find your unit, and change the columns "Early Availability | Unknown | Late Availability" to "True". I can't remember what the unknown column is, but all the other units that have it available are set to true, so I guess it's a good idea

I had already done so. Not sure why it doesn't work.

I changed the pack type to movie and the rifle modifications worked but there aren't any new units.

Can anybody help me out?

Can anybody help me out?
    Change the RegionIDRef to "Global". As of right now, your unit can't be recruited anywhere.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Might also add your unit to the unit_to_exclusive_faction_permissions table.