Thread: German woman astonished by her Apache ancestry

Default German woman astonished by her Apache ancestry

I found this interesting story on another forum:

I made a DNA Test in November 2018, just to find out more about my family history.

I already had a nearly complete family tree about several generations back, I knew that my ancestors were from South Germany and from my father's side partially from around Berlin. When I received the results, I was totally surprised - 67% Central Europe, 16% French, etc., and... 9% Native American! My first thought was, that the test must have been mixed up [with someone else's test]. So I asked my dad for another Test with his DNA and he scored 18% Native American - we are definitely father and daughter, so the results must be correct! I checked it with GEDmatch too, with the same results. I also found a lot of matches, most were living in New Mexico, Albuquerque, this is the region where Ancestry located some of my native heritage. After a little bit of research it turned out that my birth grandfather must have been an American GI from New Mexico who was stationed in the city where my grandmother lived during WW2. I studied the military documents on Ancestry and found a unit where he could probably be in, the time and the port of registry fit with the birthday and city my father was born. I also contacted some of the closest matches (second cousin, over 400cM with my dad). But at the moment my research stagnate, not enough trees, not enough information. I really hope we can find out more, a place to visit someday or people we can ask questions about my granddad. I was always curious why we have these black hair, darker skin tone and another shape of eyes than our relatives, but I never questioned my ancestry. My father was surprised, but not as much as I thought, maybe he already guessed something.
    Last edited by Domen123; September 23, 2019 at 03:18 AM.

Default Re: German woman astonished by her Apache ancestry

Heh...

I suppose it's interesting though, since Native American ancestry is so unexpected in Germany, but then maybe it shouldn't be considering the reason.

I have an acquaintance who discovered she had seventeen more siblings than she had previously known about. Her father was like Johnny Appleseed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Some DNA test don't do a good job of distinguishing Native Americans from Asian,, and the ancestors of the Native Americans csmrnfrom Asian 10,000 years ago or so. Ifnthr German woman had Hun, Magyar, Mongolian ancestry from Asia, perhaps that could look like Native American ancestry I some tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Some DNA test don't do a good job of distinguishing Native Americans from Asian
    That's true, but it's probably not the case here.

She has something wrong though. She mentioned the over 400 centimorgan match to her father, which she thinks should be his second cousin, more likely it's a first cousin once removed. That narrows things down a lot. In other words, one of the match's grandparents is her birth grandfather's sibling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    That's true, but it's probably not the case here.

She has something wrong though. She mentioned the over 400 centimorgan match to her father, which she thinks should be his second cousin, more likely it's a first cousin once removed. That narrows things down a lot. In other words, one of the match's grandparents is her birth grandfather's sibling.

I wonder if they had code talkers in Europe.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; September 23, 2019 at 03:35 PM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

After a little bit of research it turned out that my birth grandfather must have been an American GI from New Mexico who was stationed in the city where my grandmother lived during WW2.
    Either her grandmother had consensual sex with an american GI or she was raped.

Why is this such a big deal?

There are plenty of "occupation children" in Germany, which father was an GI.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; September 23, 2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Karl May would be pleased by this finding!

Winnetou did Deutschland.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Praeses

I'm thinking this woman has a genetic predisposition to try to kill Clint Eastwood...
    I know, wrong colours....
    Last edited by Cyclops; October 15, 2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat