Thread: How do you turn Great Britain into England?

Default How do you turn Great Britain into England?

Is there a way to get england in the grand campaign?

I have already tried to make Scotland, Ireland and Wales rebel but this does not turn Great Britain into england.

Im guessing you have to cause revolutions and i have already done many of these but it still didnt work.

Default Re: How do you turn Great Britain into England?

I suspect the game wouldn't register that without Scotland, Wales and Ireland, Britain is largely just England. There would be some accuracy to this however. The Isles of Man and White, Guernsey and Jersey, the Scilly Isles, and also Anglesea (correct spelling I hope!) are not technically part of England. Bizarrely enough, nor is a small town on the east coast, whose name I forget. So really 'England' would still be an inaccurate title.

Coincidentally, 'Britain' is a universally accepted title, but it is also inaccurate as the correct name would have been 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland', which is a mouthful, or 'The UK.'

Btw while calling the UK 'Britain' is fine, don't call it 'Great Britain.' Great Britain is just the island on which England, Wales, and mainland Scotland are situated. It's a landmass, not a political unit; it doesn't include any of the islands, or any of Ireland. It's a bit like calling the US 'North America'.

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

The only way to turn GB into England in the game is for someone to conquer them and liberate them. As far as I know you can't do this to yourself.. though it maybe possible if you let the town revolt and then you conquered it...not sure...

Even if you got London to revolt, and you conquered it and liberated it, it wouldn't do much good because now you can't control it.

Nope - even if you conquer and liberate England your new protectorate is still called Great Britain.

And like other capitals you can only liberate it from itself by taking London last so the faction is simultaneously destroyed and reborn - if they still have Gibraltar or anywhere else you lose the liberate option.

Revolutions also change the flag but not the name.

And nor should they - the union between England and Scotland was so strong in this period that even had someone taken Edinburgh and created a puppet protectorate you still would have had hordes of Scottish exiles to keep the British claim alive.

Ireland of course was a different matter.
    Last edited by Clodius; April 09, 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey_MkII View Post
    I suspect the game wouldn't register that without Scotland, Wales and Ireland, Britain is largely just England. There would be some accuracy to this however. The Isles of Man and White, Guernsey and Jersey, the Scilly Isles, and also Anglesea (correct spelling I hope!) are not technically part of England. Bizarrely enough, nor is a small town on the east coast, whose name I forget. So really 'England' would still be an inaccurate title.

Coincidentally, 'Britain' is a universally accepted title, but it is also inaccurate as the correct name would have been 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland', which is a mouthful, or 'The UK.'

Btw while calling the UK 'Britain' is fine, don't call it 'Great Britain.' Great Britain is just the island on which England, Wales, and mainland Scotland are situated. It's a landmass, not a political unit; it doesn't include any of the islands, or any of Ireland. It's a bit like calling the US 'North America'.
    Mostly wrong - and where it isn't rather debatable.

Man and the Channel Isles are/were indeed not part of Great Britain - you could have some debate over their exact status in relation to the United Kingdom

The Scilly Isles are and AFAIK have always been part of Britain.

Anglesey is and was part of Wales - which of course has never been part of England but is in fact the only part of Britain whose inhabitants (or these days some of them) speak a language descended from that of the ancient Britons.

There is no Isle of White - the Isle of Wight has been part of England since the days of the Anglo-Saxons.

No idea what you are talking about with the little town on the East Coast

Great Britain is in fact the universally used name for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - at the high-water mark of political correctness in the 1990s trendier historians tried to rename it 'The Atlantic Archipelago' but for obvious reasons that piece of pretentious idiocy never stuck.

If you want to be really pedantic you can say British Isles when you want to include Ireland (although I know of Irish Nationalists who'd exclude their island from that term).

And as we should all know no less a person than Nelson told a fleet including many Scots and Irish sailors 'England expects every man to do his duty' - and Napoleon and every French account I've ever read always talks about England and the English as the enemy - even when they can hear the skirl of the bagpipes and know full well that the English commander is actually from (but arguably not of) Ireland.
    Last edited by Clodius; April 09, 2010 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodius View Post
    No idea what you are talking about with the little town on the East Coast)
    I'm guessing he means Berwick on Tweed, which IS a part of England.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorpenguin View Post
    I'm guessing he means Berwick on Tweed, which IS a part of England.
    You may well be right as according to wikipedia:

'In 1603, Berwick was the first English town to greet James VI of Scotland on his way to being crowned James I of England - upon crossing Berwick Bridge, James is supposed to have declared the town neither belonging to England nor belonging to Scotland but part of the united Crown's domain'.

That is complete bollocks though as James I and VI had no authority to alienate any town from either kingdom without an Act of Parliament or Order in Council - and administratively it continued to be part of England whatever James might or might not have said to flatter its burghers on his way through.
    Last edited by Clodius; April 09, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

It's part of the English county of Northumberland, ergo part of England

Mostly wrong - and where it isn't rather debatable.

Man and the Channel Isles are/were indeed not part of Great Britain - you could have some debate over their exact status in relation to the United Kingdom
    Agreed that there are some substantial differences in terms of the administration of these isles, and I am aware of controversies surrounding them, in fact I neglected to mention this so you are right to correct me. They are not considered part of the UK, but are arguably 'British' since they are dependencies of the British monarch; - though really 'British' is a very vague term.

The Scilly Isles are and AFAIK have always been part of Britain.
    You mean part of England. And after looking it up I concede you are right - I didn't know that. My mistake.

Anglesey is and was part of Wales - which of course has never been part of England but is in fact the only part of Britain whose inhabitants (or these days some of them) speak a language descended from that of the ancient Britons.
    I thought Anglesey might be a part of Wales but I wasn't sure, so I didn't say it. But what I did say was that it wasn't part of England. So you are agreeing with me.

There is no Isle of White - the Isle of Wight has been part of England since the days of the Anglo-Saxons.
    My apologies, I was lazy with my spelling, as I stated in my original message when I misspelled Anglesey. Again I concede you are correct about Wight.

No idea what you are talking about with the little town on the East Coast
    In fact, as has been mentioned elsewhere I was thinking of Berwick-upon-Tweed. It has been stated that B-u-T is part of England. That may be true now, but the legal status of the town was very vague until the late Twentieth century because it was not annexed by England following the last time it changed hands. Occasionally as a piece of trivia you may hear references to 'a town still officially at war with Russia' (after the Crimean war). While the notion that Berwick has to be included on official declarations of war and peace treaties is incorrect, any such declaration made by the crown, whilst considered to include Berwick implicitly without being mentioned. Nevertheless Berwick was only officially made part of England recently, and it was not a formal part of England during the Napoleonic wars.

Great Britain is in fact the universally used name for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - at the high-water mark of political correctness in the 1990s trendier historians tried to rename it 'The Atlantic Archipelago' but for obvious reasons that piece of pretentious idiocy never stuck.
    I'm afraid I strongly disagree. Although 'Great Britain' it is a common mistake to use this phrase for the UK, Great Britain is just the island mentioned. Any and all official or studied references to the UK will say Britain or British, not Great Britain or Great British. I would assume the mistake lies in thinking that 'Great' means 'Grand', say, rather than 'largest island'.

If you want to be really pedantic you can say British Isles when you want to include Ireland (although I know of Irish Nationalists who'd exclude their island from that term).
    Agreed, geographically speaking the correct term for the whole lot is British Isles. And yes I agree that that is contentious.

And as we should all know no less a person than Nelson told a fleet including many Scots and Irish sailors 'England expects every man to do his duty' - and Napoleon and every French account I've ever read always talks about England and the English as the enemy - even when they can hear the skirl of the bagpipes and know full well that the English commander is actually from (but arguably not of) Ireland.
    Yes, at the time 'England' was a common term for the UK just as 'Britain' is now, somewhat confusingly.

In conclusion, I question your assertion that my previous statement was largely incorrect - I'm willing to concede the Isles of Wight and Scilly as part of the peace agreement, and apologise for the dreadful spelling mistakes committed during the conflict. As for the rest I think I was dead on, and we may have to agree to disagree about the true meaning of 'Great Britain'.

Bobby the Huntsman's Avatar Civis

I pretty sure you cannot beacuse gb is a major faction.

Britain is the landmass inhabited by Britons long before any England/Wales/Scotland nations sprang up. Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales politically and Britain is England and Wales politically. But geographically it is the whole island.
    An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind - Ghandi

www.tribal-wars.net