Thread: Long Turn Waits

Green Warrior's Avatar Libertus

Default Long Turn Waits

I've noticed some complaining about long turn waits with the new RR/RC compilation; but most of those seem to target BGRIV as the cause. I've been playing the new compilation for about a week or so now without BGRIV and I've still been experiencing exceptionally long turn waits -- up to three full minutes. I have a decent PC (Windows XP, four 3.0 GHz processors and an NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500 video card) and I've never had any delay problems with SS 6.1 on that system.

Have others been experiencing excessive delays using the new RR/RC compilation?

I love the compilation and I really don't want to go back to plain old SS 6.2; but I may be forced to do so unless I can get better turn-around times on my turns.

Might it help to install only selected mods from the compilation? Have others experimented eith that?

Thanks.
    THE GREEN WARRIOR

Default Re: Long Turn Waits

I have the long wait problem too. The various releases differ only slightly on this point; most have fairly long times of waiting, even without BGRIV.

I think it would be nice to know which aspects of the mod do most to increase the waiting time. I once heard that alerts (like princess comes of age, king dies, capital falls, etc) contribute, but only a little. If we find out where the bulk of the wait comes from, then we can decide whether or not it is worth sacrificing the feature(s) in order to save time.

AnChoróinIarainn's Avatar Libertus

Try game booster- http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
    Worked a treat on my old crappy laptop. Turns off all unwanted programs when you're playing.

four 3.0 GHz processors
    You mean a Quad Core right? Doesnt mean 4 processors unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by AnChoróinIarainn View Post
    Try game booster- http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
    Worked a treat on my old crappy laptop. Turns off all unwanted programs when you're playing.

You mean a Quad Core right? Doesnt mean 4 processors unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    Just to clarify:
    Medieval II: Total War has no multicore support. Only advantage is singling out ONE core for kingdoms.exe via taskmanager. You might notice how it never exceeds 50% cpu even with both cores allocated.
    Or 25% in the case above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Warrior View Post
    I've noticed some complaining about long turn waits with the new RR/RC compilation; but most of those seem to target BGRIV as the cause.
    Yup there have been topics about that... another one about it won't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Warrior View Post
    Might it help to install only selected mods from the compilation?
    Depends. Most likely you'll have to make them manually compatible to each other which I wouldn't recommend (time consuming and error prone).
    My prefered method against this is windowed mode.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

The assimilation script can account for about 1/3 of turn delay in the BGR version, so it might be about the same in the non-BGR version I guess. I sped up BGRIV (using BGRV) and removed assimilation and the time dropped from 1:27 to 0:48.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

What's the assimilation script all about, Byg?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blćkk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

The last feature is that a player can't build/repair/retrain anything in a settlement during 1st turn after conquering it - which reflects the actual time to establish new administration in a conquered province.
    I found a way to bypass this, just fight a battle or save-load the game and you can change taxes, build, recruit etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blćkk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Yeah, but doing that doesn't decrease the end-of-turn waiting time.

Green Warrior's Avatar Libertus

Yes, I meant my PC has a quad core, although they show up on Control Panel as four separate processors. (I'm not much of a computer expert, I'm afraid.)

My prefered method against this is windowed mode.
    How does one play in windowed mode? I've searched the forum and found references to windowed mode but no explanation of how to implement it.

Byg, how can one remove the assimilation script?

Thanks to all for their replies.
    THE GREEN WARRIOR

Write this at the end of the [video] section in Stainless_Steel_Kingdoms.cfg file :

windowed = true
    borderless_window = true

These mods have so much more into them than vanilla or light mods that only change a few stats. This is a compilation of many mods.... A lot of scripts and such. It takes a while yes, but would you rather go back to a mod that has not much in it or stay with this mod that is a huge compilation with so much more. It is the price we pay for a good mod. I had AMD 3700+ and upgraded my PC to Intel Quad 9550P with 8GB ram and it didn't have much effect at all in waiting turns. I hate waiting the turns too... but I ain't going back to other mods that have so little to offer.