Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Hate STEAM

RickAJ's Avatar Laetus

Default I Hate STEAM

I decided to play ETW after taking time off from it. Well, during that time, STEAM ended my registration with it. I couldn't remember my password. After trying for and hour, I gave up the game. During that I hour, I tried reinstalling, which ended with Activation Code Already being used, then starting a new user, but when that seemed to work, I would have to buy the game AGAIN (just so everyone knows, I have the CD, I didn't by through that accursed STEAM). Anyone else had similar problems?

Default Re: I Hate STEAM

Go into task manager and set steamraging.exe to low priority and rememberingpasswords.exe to high

Just one of the reasons I hate steam.
    you bought and paid for empire, why-the-*%$# should you have to verify that every time you want to use it.
    maybe you could ask steam for support? but no. steam support is uber gay, they will say its your fault not theres.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

glad that you´re not calling CA gay, this is in the ToS might watch what you´re saying

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Vicarius
    Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried contacting STEAM Support? If not, you should give it a try.

https://support.steampowered.com/

I heard Steam has support for things like this.
    The extra development time will allow us to finalize and polish Empire, making it the most accomplished and epic of the Total War series." said Kieran Brigden, Studio Communications Manager at The Creative Assembly. "There is a great deal of anticipation around Empire: Total War and we want to ensure that it is the benchmark for strategy games upon its release.

with those ears you're supposed to eh?

and yes they have support for that pretty easy and fast if I might add.

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Artifex

They do have a password reset feature:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4988-DHXV-7272

hip63

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by barrrp86 View Post
    Just one of the reasons I hate steam.
    you bought and paid for empire, why-the-*%$# should you have to verify that every time you want to use it..
    ..so i wont be able to use it

Indefinitely Banned

I hate Steam too!

ah, the lovely "Forgot Password?" link...always seems to run away when we need it...

Seriously, I do hope you can get back into your account. If its just the matter of a correct password, they should be able to fix that in some way.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by hammeredalways
    blimey Drewoid13 an (HB) for a couple of days and you already have our old world cynicism ... oh and as a (HB) you are exempt from the Proclamation

I've done some thinking.. about how much time this Steam App has cost me so far, about its benefits and downsides.
    Fact is that I now have to wait a week or so before being able to play my ETW again. Due to Steam.
    The 1.6 update apparently made Steam download the entire game again, which quickly ate up my transfer limit of the current month. I am now throttled down to a tiny bandwidth until May.

And back into my mind came all these moments where I wanted to play a Steam game and couldn't because Steam was offline, or it just absolutely needed to download some patch first. There never were such issues on "ordinary" games, you clicked on the shortcut and the game started loading no matter what.

Add the fact that firing up Steam takes forever since it always has to "update" the platform, probably to download some new advertisment screens to pop into my face when the platform finishes loading.

And then there's the ETW specific problem with me being unable to use the new Multiplayer Campaign mode of TW because Steam will disconnect for a few seconds every other hour, killing all game progress since the last possible save point.
    And before some know-it-alls come at me all like "lol save the game after each battle": During the AI's turns, you will often have multiple battles in a row when AI armies keep attacking you or your opponent, without any possibility to save between those battles.

I have made my decision and joined the ranks of the true Steam haters. I hate it with a passion, and it will definitely influence future purchase decisions.

Steam is fine for mini-games at bargain prices, but it doesn't work for large, proper games like ETW.

In a related matter, I bought the boxed version of Mount & Blade: Warband. No mention of Steam anywhere on the cover, or in the manual. When I put the CD into the drive, Steam popped up. rage
    Fortunately, it is possible to download the 500mb M&B game files from their homepage as an .exe file and then just install it by entering the serial key to go without Steam. (You can also try it out without serial key, if you are interested - it's a good game).

Hey, let's turn this into another really long "I hate Steam" thread!
    Last edited by psyclog; April 21, 2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglish View Post
    48) When being a pike man and order to attack, first run at the enemy with your pikes in the air, wait for a few seconds, then get your swords out.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

The STEAM move was a bad one...gotta go through another company to get updates...slow, uploads wrong, password errors...I am not a fan. I have enough issues trying to keep up with an old system without them making things tougher for me. I just want to game...not go into debt so I can keep up.
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere SOG View Post
    The STEAM move was a bad one...gotta go through another company to get updates...slow, uploads wrong, password errors...I am not a fan. I have enough issues trying to keep up with an old system without them making things tougher for me. I just want to game...not go into debt so I can keep up.
    i d be surprised if steam doesnt even use up some performance. this is neglactable for high end pc users but not people that have to kill every unnecessary process to get games run smoothly. one of the worst aspects is that steam is pretty much adware.

the post box and the internet is full of ads. even the phone rings due to advertisements and now i am supposed to download and install adware locally on my computer just to run a game?
    a few years back that was only a merchandisers wet dream..

one really should not support this as well as ubisofts idea to force people to register online just to be able to play a game. that should always be a matter of choice.

I have to disagree with you ahlerich. steam is far from ad ware and certainly less malicious than ad ware is. if it eats up significant system resources (which for me it doesn't) then you could call it bloat ware. I don't think there can be even a reasonably equitable comparison between Steam and Ubi soft. Steam only needs to validate itself once, allows the user to enter an offline mode and still play all their games, and has a backup feature so redownloading isn't entirely necessary. Its all accessible by right-clicking the game, under preferences (for those who don't know). Ubi Soft on the other hand requires a constant internet connection (so its sapping even a tiny amt of bandwidth, but constantly), boots the user from playing his own game when the connection is disrupted, and has no way of letting the player start his game offline. Ubi's method is far more intrusive, controlling, and abusive to the end user than steam is. Sure, Steam is FAR from perfect but I don't think it can be put at the same level as Ubi Soft. Both of these examples aside, I prefer Impulse above the rest, but that's a digression I won't continue here.

@ Psyclog, try using the game's backup/archive feature. This should preserve the critical files for the game and help avoid full re-downloads.
    blimey Drewoid13 an (HB) for a couple of days and you already have our old world cynicism ... oh and as a (HB) you are exempt from the Proclamation

Rarely had a problem with steam, however I agree that it takes them a while to update with patches.
    member of S.I.N.

i call it ad ware as each time u start it u get a pop up with the latest on there. i used steam before empire - when i installed a shop bough day of defeat cd. if it wasnt for that i d never installed steam.

not having a choice is bad in my book. i dont care if they sell the game on steam and everybody who wants to buy it there can. force customers upon steam is not good. whats next? force them to buy a nvidia card? force them to buy a life insurance with them?

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

dude probably lives in a state with few choices to make...if its done for you, why complain?
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

steam can and will be used as a two things, a content distributor, and a drm service.

complaining that steam uses resources is also triffle at best since it uses a max of 50mb. This is neglegible.

As a content distributor there are different opinions on this matter, since it can at the same time provide the avenue of grand distribution to those small studios it at the same time, can hamper this effort, ars has a very good piece about it.

as a drm solution, its one of the best that there is today. Its not nagging and it can make things difficult for the people that say ARRGHH!!

now as every software it has its problems, and those should be adressed.

the problems that I see the most at the tech forums are related to the update.

The update feature is a great tool to make the multiplayer a option for several people, since it equalizes the same version of the software without user interferance. and this is great.

The most common problem is that steam update things and mods brake, and consequently the game brakes (this can be stopped by simply letting you do the updates, steam will warn you, but its up to you to install the update or not)

The other thing is that the distribution feature suffers from the protocol that it uses for the transfering of files. With a ftp connection you have a great avenue of errors, while a p2p method avoid those issues completely. Although a p2p route for steam is impossible since it uses the peers (user and servers) connection, so its a big no no.

unless someone creates a new protocol, or steam adpots a self built extracting features (a transfer with several small files has problems of its own) the errors in the file transfer and the user not checking if the game is alright, will continue to generate downloads of half

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlerich View Post
    i call it ad ware as each time u start it u get a pop up with the latest on there. i used steam before empire - when i installed a shop bough day of defeat cd. if it wasnt for that i d never installed steam.

not having a choice is bad in my book. i dont care if they sell the game on steam and everybody who wants to buy it there can. force customers upon steam is not good. whats next? force them to buy a nvidia card? force them to buy a life insurance with them?
    that can be turned off I believe...check under preferences (i'd look but don't have steam on my work computer )

and I agree here. I'm all for choice and forcing players to use Steam isn't cool. It would be more cool, though, if it said on the box in something larger than size 4 font steam is required. Then at least there's full disclosure of info and the consumer can make a wiser decision. I felt the same way about SecurRom and Starforce, etc as all of those installed on your computer with absolutely no warning, disclaimer, note, etc. The end user doesn't even know they're there unless they enjoy searching through every folder in Windows Explorer or found their cd/dvd drives started failing (starforce caused a lot of this).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast