Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who's side would you join?

rifleman

Who's side would you join on the confederates or the Union? My answer would be probably the Union just because i am from the "northern states" and don't like the political ideas of the South either... well at least in those times i wouldn't.

I can even tell you what regiment I would be in, the 69th Newyork, an all Irish Regiment, 3 of my ancestors served in the fighting 69th.

hurray Slythis, we have something in common, we would both be in the Federal Army and the 69th! i am very proud of my irish background, i just love potaoe chips and beer!

Acutulus's Avatar Civitate

I have no idea, I can't really say what my ideals would be like at that time, Missouri's a swing state in votes every year, and it was a swing state in the civil war too....I have relatives on both sides who were in the civil war...but we know most about this confederate on my fathers side, I believe he was in the 3rd Texas cavalry. He was wouneded at the battle of Wilsons Creek (only a mile or two outside of my home town) and was treated by a union nurse. As she nursed him back to health, they fell in love, kind like 19th century English Pacient. So when he recoverd he was able to sneek off from the house of her (extremley) northern father, he joined back up with his unit, and pormised to return, he did, and my family has been here ever since...one of my relatives actually founded the town, but he was unrelated to the Confederate. He was, however, nephew of president James Polk....but back on topic, if I were alive in the times, I would probably be a Southener, If it was my choice today, I would be a yank
    Proud Patron of Battle Knight and Asterix

nice way of looking at thing Acutulus, I have relatives and ancestors on both sides, most of them in the all Irish Regiments. One, in a cavalry unit, was at Gettysburg and was blown off of his horse by confederate artillery... when he was blown from his horse it gave him a hernia. He lost 2 brothers and 3 of his 4 sons in the war, if I had more time before I leave I'd give the names and storys of all of my ancestors who served on both sides during the Civil war but I have less than an hour and a half before I have to leave.

yeah yeah...don't brag about it anymore than you have to

I probly have no more than is average, I just KNOW more than is average.

Ill just take the army with the better pay

I was refering to the vacation.... But you can't grow up in my family with out learning everything there is to know about the civil war, and you have to try damn hard to not learn about history in general....it's mainly a genetic traight of the males...each one branches into their own specialties and then lectures the others on it when we are all together

i remember a story about a great great grandfather, or something like that, of mine who was a union soldier who was hit with a particularly week rebel musketball in the chest, his heavy wool coat saved his life. or, maybe something inside, like a bible or i dont know what else.

To the side I would prefer to join would be the Union's side. However my family has records of both descendents fighting in the Confederacy and descendents fighting in the Union. The other side was well, stuck on a reserve getting it served right in the a**. If I was on the Union side, I would like to be as well on the 69th New York since I am half Irish! The other half is Cherokee if anyone cares.

Cool. Going up 5 generations my ancestor fought in the SHinsengumi. THe elite Japanese police squad of the Bakufu and now hailed as heros

Civitate

I had one Yank relative (19th Michigan, added to the "Iron Brigade" in late 1862) and four Confederate relatives in the 19th and 21st Virginia ("Stonewall brigade"), 1st Tennessee, and one in the 21st (or maybe 25th) N. Carolina Volunteers. So, with a four-one majority, I'd fight for the South (everything wasn't about slavery gents, you can fight for the South guilt-free ). Then again... it'd suck to lose...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

Thomas Jefferson

and don't like the political ideas of the South either
    I would fight for the north. But hold up here--The south DIDNT fight only for slavery. It was also an issue of states rights. Now they shouldnt have secceeded from the union (worst spelling ever I know) but there IS something to be said for states rights. I support the whole gay marrage thing but I think it should be up to the states to do it, not a government mandate. That was how the original constitution was fomulated, and the failure of that to remain in vogue has lead to the topheavy government that we have today.

NM
    Former Patron of: Sbsdude, Bgreman, Windblade, Scipii, Genghis Khan, Count of Montesano, Roman American, Praetorian Sejanus

My time here has ended. The time of the syntigmata has ended. Such is how these things are, and I accept it. In the several years I was a member of this forum, I fought for what I considered to be the most beneficial actions to enrich the forum. I regret none of my actions, and retain my personal honor and integrity.
    Fallen Triumvir

of course no one would say they want to be on the south side because fo the slave issue

of course would it surprise any of you if you learned that many black slaves didn't want to be free, of course there are the occasional a$$ hole slave keeper but for the most part they were treated quite well and were highly loyal.

Just my 2 cents

Even though my great great granda pa is US Grant and I am from NY and Irish I would fight for the south. I think they had the perfect right under the constitution to seceed from the union.
    --The south DIDNT fight only for slavery. It was also an issue of states rights
    And thats the crux of my reasoning and why I consider , believe it or not Linclon one of the most destructive presidents to the US constitution and a cause of the huge Federal government we have today along with FDR and LBJ. The states were supposed to be different not all the same. Think wouldnt it be nice for instance if some states could legalize pot or even gay marriage. You could then move to the state that fit your ideals the best. Nowdays the states have lost much of their power.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Originally posted by Rush Limbaugh@Jun 26 2004, 04:14 PM
    Even though my great great granda pa is US Grant and I am from NY and Irish I would fight for the south. I think they had the perfect right under the constitution to seceed from the union.
    --The south DIDNT fight only for slavery. It was also an issue of states rights
    And thats the crux of my reasoning and why I consider , believe it or not Linclon one of the most destructive presidents to the US constitution and a cause of the huge Federal government we have today along with FDR and LBJ. The states were supposed to be different not all the same. Think wouldnt it be nice for instance if some states could legalize pot or even gay marriage. You could then move to the state that fit your ideals the best. Nowdays the states have lost much of their power.
    that's quite an intrestesing idea to have all states do whatever it feels is best for their state.

that's quite an intrestesing idea to have all states do whatever it feels is best for their state.
    Read the constitution. Its not my idea. The whole purpose of the constitution is to define and limit the power of the federal governent.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Eothain's Avatar woo

That's fine and all, but what about civil rights? Surely the same basic equality for all should be avaliable in every state instead of having segregation in the south and not in the north and such. Sure, variation is good and such, but some stuff such as civil rights should be the same for all instead of having some where lynching black people is legal and some where women can't vote and such. So long as it doesn't impeach on any rights, sure go for variation!
    MareNostrum for DICTATOR FOR LIFE!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

That's fine and all, but what about civil rights? Surely the same basic equality for all should be avaliable in every state instead of having segregation in the south and not in the north and such. Sure, variation is good and such, but some stuff such as civil rights should be the same for all instead of having some where lynching black people is legal and some where women can't vote and such. So long as it doesn't impeach on any rights, sure go for variation!
    Simple as I said read the constitution

having segregation in the south and not in the north and such. Sure, variation is good and such, but some stuff such as civil rights should be the same for all instead of having some where lynching black people is legal
    Constitution

Article XIII.
    Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation
    Further
    Article XIV.
    Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

and
    Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

and some where women can't vote and such

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation
    Its all there in the constitution. Now the state are supposed to make all the laws that are not covered or do not go against those listed in the constitution for their individual states such as education,driving priviliges gun laws , alcohol and ciggarettes and who can be married for instance..

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast