Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2. Preview: Kingdom of Judah

Automatix's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: 2. Preview: Kingdom of Judah

Good info you've got here. Maybe you could help us with this mod because every help is welcome.

Automatix
    Great orders make from soldiers heroes, wrong orders make from them cowards.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

with pleasure.
    by the way,is there a Slingers unit?
    it was very common in canaan,the Phoenicians used it too(Carthagenians at least)
    Last edited by tsur; December 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Venia's Avatar Auxilium meum a Domino

Quote Originally Posted by tsur View Post
    with pleasure.
    by the way,is there a Slingers unit?
    it was very common in canaan,the Phoenicians used it too(Carthagenians at least)
    we're still trying to get the animations,
    but I'm almost sure we'll get them for the 1.0 release
    SOI skinner/video maker/moderator
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1496,

i was mistaken,judah's chariots force was small.they used primeraly infantry.israel however,had a very big amount of chariots(see battle of carcar).
    the primary swords were as i told,and like most nations,spears were of highmost importance.

Smolka's Avatar Miles

Icon3 Re: 2. Preview: Kingdom of Judah

I think a slinger animation was included in Banzai's animation pack.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=banzai&page=7

I found at my grandparent's attic some really thick and old books that might help:
    The art of war in the biblical lands(formations, equipment etc- all backed by pictures and photos), Atlas for the biblical timeframe(borders, people, tribes, war paths and so on for different ages) and Jerusalem- a city and a nation from King David's era to our time(also, pictures and photos).
    Problem is, they're all in Hebrew. I'm willing to translate if you could point me to different things you're looking for.

Nobody?
    thought you'd find this a gold mine...

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

Quote Originally Posted by dr0p View Post
    Nobody?
    thought you'd find this a gold mine...
    I do apologise for the lack of activity, but several of us are currently going through exam season, including myself. We'd be more than thankful if you could help us in our research, and we appreciate the help you're offering.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I'll send you a PM.

Shouldn't all the units be "judean" instead of "judah?". Eg JUDEAN swordsmen
    Anyway, I've always wanted a tw for this era and would be happy to help with history, unit info and ideas, etc. Got a couple books (and the bible lol) which could be helpful.

eran's Avatar Domesticus

Elite archers should be called "Kriti".

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

The unit names are not final. They will be converted to the native phonetic upon further research.

The elite archer of judah are from the Tribe of Benjamin and they were the best archer in all israel

Quote Originally Posted by nivnasi112 View Post
    The elite archer of judah are from the Tribe of Benjamin and they were the best archer in all israel
    I joined and registered for this post alone. I am of the tribe of Benyamin, and would love to see the elite archer unit be from Benyamin.

As far as the names of Judah/Judean, it is a tough call since there is no sound "J" in Hebrew. The pro of calling them Judah/Judean is that they are recognizable in English by newcomers to the mod, but less accurate historically. Yahuwdah/Yahudim is the most likely pronunciations for the time period, but you run into a bit of confusion for people who are not familiar with Hebrew. It doesn't bother me either way really, but I suggest to stick with whatever name-spelling you decide for consistency reasons. One compromise might be to put the paleo-hebrew writing on the shields/banners.

Also, I would also recommend a Javelin unit (mentioned in Joshua and 1, 2 Samuel).

P.S. I have only been playing TW for about 2 weeks now and am very new to the game, but I do know this mod is in my area of expertise. I'm very excited and thankful for it.

I for one support that we use native language names as long as possible, and possible something like Sumerian, Akkadian or Aramaic to fill in if necessary. Even if I understand that in the version few versions we are likly to use English names, and untill we can find someone who can translate.

ealfing's Avatar Laetus

I am excited by this mod
    You boys need to hurry up and ace you exams and finish this
    so old farts like me can play.

Very promosing

please change the hebrew writing,its an accuracy disaster...

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

Interesting
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

trlus's Avatar Foederatus

For other people with similar names, see Suleiman, Sulaiman, Suleman, or Solomon (disambiguation).
    King Solomon (Arabic: سليمان‎ pronounced Sʊlæīmān) was a king and a prophet of ancient Israel, and is recognized as a prophet and divinely-appointed monarch by all Muslims. Muslim belief holds that Solomon was one of the elect of God, and was bestowed upon with many God-given gifts, including the ability to speak to birds[1] and control over Djinn.[2] Muslims further maintain that Solomon remained faithful to God throughout his life;[3] constructed the Temple of Solomon, which became one of the key houses of worship; reigned justly over the whole of Israel; was blessed with a level of kingship which was given to none after him;[4] and fulfilled all of his commandments, being promised nearness to God in Heaven at the end of his life.[5] Solomon remains one of the most commemorated and popular holy figures in Muslim culture and tradition. Muslim tradition further maintains that, along with David and Dhul-Qarnayn, Solomon was one of three great monarchs of all time.[6]

He was has an army of jinn and human and animal
    أنت دوسري
    فاسمع ما يقال عنك !
    واذا لم تكن فاسمع ما يقال عنا
    قال الحجاج بن يوسف: هؤلاء قبيلة الدواسر قاتلة جبان ) المعروف عن قبيلة الدواسر فى جزيرة العرب أنها القبيلة الوحيدة التى تقتل الرجل من أبنائها إذا كان جبانا.
    قال عنهم الرئيس اليمني علي عبدالله صالح :
    ( الدواسر قبيلة لا ٺحٺاج إلى رجال فرجالها أهل ثباٺ )
    قال عنهم الرئيس العراقي صدام حسين :
    ( في كل نقطة دَم دوسري يوٌلد مجاهد وقائد )
    قال عنهم الملك فيصل رحمه الله:
    (لن ٺسٺطيع أي قوة أن ٺضرب قبيلة الدواسر لانهم من اعظم آلقبآئل على وجه الارض )
    قال عنهم الملك عبد العزيز آل سعود رحمه : ( مآيهزم بيرق حرب وفيه دوسري)
    قال عنهم الشيخ زايد رحمه الله رئيس دولة الإمارات :
    ( اذا إٍنْــٺ لم ٺعاشر دوسري في حياٺك وتخاويه فانٺ في خطر لأنك لم تعاشر رجلاً بحياتك)
    قال ديكسون المؤرخ المستشرق الانجليزي فى كتابه "الحكومة الانجليزية الهندية " الدواسر هم ألمان العرب وكان ذلك أثناء معركة كنزان عام (1333ه - 1915 ) بسبب ما رآه من شجاعة رجال قبيلة الدواسر وشراستهم فى القتــال.❤
    كفو يالدواسر

Svartverg's Avatar Laetus

Hello guys! I'ts the first time I post.. just signed in!
    Really interesting Mod! I'm excited..!
    Hmm, I have one suggestion for the Kingdom of Judah banners.
    Why don't you use the Megiddo Seal? take a look here...

I also have an objection about the banners of Israel.. The David Star is a much later symbol and it wasn't used in Iron Age!

Oh, and what about the North Kingdom of Israel?

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Svartverg View Post
    Hello guys! I'ts the first time I post.. just signed in!
    Really interesting Mod! I'm excited..!
    Hmm, I have one suggestion for the Kingdom of Judah banners.
    Why don't you use the Megiddo Seal? take a look here...

I also have an objection about the banners of Israel.. The David Star is a much later symbol and it wasn't used in Iron Age!

Oh, and what about the North Kingdom of Israel?
    Lions are babylonian/ assyrian figure. Even though it seems demonic, but still

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast