Thread: Three Things I like about Napoleon Total War

Default Three Things I like about Napoleon Total War

Among all the little things that I like about this game, there are three things that are really reallly
    right:

1. Finally, the Game Development guys got it right. The Commanding General now has influence over his troops as seen by the blue circle depicting the "zone of influence". By clicking a button, the General
    can urge his troops on at a crucial point of the battle. Thanks so much for this feature.

2. Campaigns are built on money, and the player is now allowed to "loot" a town to gain money, which can be used for building more units and improving towns. Historically, one of the major influences for attracting men to the military was the opportunity to gain wealth by sacking a captured town. This is a carryover from Medeival Total War II and it is greatly appreciated. Perhaps this feature can be added to Empire Total War. Thanks guys.

3. My battle tested Armee l'Italia, is alligned in unit formation across the top of a hill, artillery just behind the infantry and capable of firing over the infantry (not historically accurate, but what the heck). The Austrians, in equal number are formed at the bottom of the hill. They march with drill field precision up the hill, flags flying and drums pounding out the beat. Artillery opens ups with canister when the Austrians get in range. When they are in musket range, both lines EXPLODE in fire and smoke. For three or four minutes, this is an awesome sight and I just loved it.Eventually, the Austrians take too many casualties and begin to fall back. The Dragoons on left and right charge the retreating infantry to kill the ones fleeing, and occasionally stop to loot a fallen officer (historically true). It was quite a sight, Thanks guys.

Anyone else see features they like?

Respectfully submited, I am your most humble servant Capt Sharpe, His Majesty's Green Jackets

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Three Things I like about Napoleon Total War

3 good points, sir.

The liberation feature is probably my favourite new feature, I don't know about everyone else but I find liberating nations much more satisfying than simply occupying them. Not to mention I don't have to manage those settlements myself!
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Would cavil a bit about the looting - while the French were notorious for living off the land the worst episodes of looting in cities were all the result not of any policy but a complete breakdown of discipline.

The looting that took place in the 1812 Russian campaign was for instance disastrous for the French destroying much needed supplies and encumbering the shrinking grande armee with unnecessary baggage.

And at least at VH/VH its not good strategy in NTW as you'll probably end up spending more repairing buildings and fighting rebels than you get from the looting.

Loving it so far, especially love that unlike ETW I once again find the latest installment of the total war series to be the best. The three things I like the most:

1. New replenishment system, my crack troops can regain full strength (eventually) without going all the way back to my capitol, this makes it easier for me to accept losses while fighting on far away front lines, and adds a lot to the fun.

2. Liberations, so nice to have non backstabbing allies and trading partners, even in late game.

3. Less unit development, while this may end up subtracting from the replay value, it makes the game feel more like a "totalwar" strategy game and less like a development (civilization) game, the units I can build in turn 1 is still the very capable backbone of my end game stacks.

My main gripes:

Why are all nations not playable out of the box??? It is always among the first mods to be released, and being a veteran, I know how to mod it myself, makes no sence to me that you have to mod the game to play as whatever your favorite faction is, the minor factions with more challenging starting positions and less unit variety appeals to some, has been like this since the second installment of the total war series, and still CA requires fan mods to actually make it possible.

Where do a defeated nations army and navy go? turn them into rebels/pirates, feels cheasy that the threat from a large navy or several full army stacks totally vaporizes because you can make a mad dash for their last capitol.

AI lacks an understading of history, not real history but game history, when my merchantman sacks their dockyard for the 25th turn in a row, it would make sence for the AI to commit a single ground unit to keep their investment safe, I appreciate that this is really hard to code, but it makes for several weak points in an otherwise fun and fairly active AI.

I love improved diplomacy
    Join wars---Trade Embargo

And ''Join wars'' makes you feel that you are in Napoleonic time you are in total war be French ally or British,Austrian,Russian...

Agree the diplomacy is vastly improved.

Still kinda sucks that you can bribe an enemy to change sides completely but that they will still continue fighting your allies and keep asking you to join them every turn.

Also what does it take to make the threaten option work? I can rule the rest of Europe and have the Oldbenburgers surrounded on all sides but still can't get them to accept protectorate status.

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Did you say they actually stopped to loot a dead officer? An actual animation conveyed this? Awesome!

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by ♔GrinningManiac♔ View Post
    Did you say they actually stopped to loot a dead officer? An actual animation conveyed this? Awesome!
    Yeah that kind of took me by surprise when I read this, yet to see it happen tho
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."