Thread: A foray into modding - Spherical Case Shot Mod

Default A foray into modding - Spherical Case Shot Mod

First of all, many thanks to Williehuntz for his realistic explosions which forms the basis of this mod. My bumbling use of the PFM requires some refinement before I'll attempt a mod from first principles.

Spherical Case Shot Mod

It had bothered me for a while that the spherical case in Empire was assigned to cannon and usually flew over the targets' heads. What bothered me more, however, was that this useful weapon disappeared entirely in Napoleon.

This mod changes that by replacing the standard explosive shot of howitzers with a shrapnel shot that, by virtue of the downward trajectory of a howitzer shell, drops a lethal cone of shot downwards onto its target.

This mod is of the "movie" type, so just unzip, drop it into the data folder and away you go.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: A foray into modding - Spherical Case Shot Mod

Definitely an interesting concept. However... I wouldn't want to apply such a shot to howitzers. But if you manage to implement sharpnel shot for standard cannon. I would be very much interested!

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

It is odd that shrapnel shot was removed from NTW. However, turning standard howiter shells into shrapnel shots, though a nice idea, I really don't believe is the answer.

Perhaps converting carcas shot into shrapenl shot would be a better idea?
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    It is odd that shrapnel shot was removed from NTW. However, turning standard howiter shells into shrapnel shots, though a nice idea, I really don't believe is the answer.

Perhaps converting carcas shot into shrapenl shot would be a better idea?
    Should be easy enough to do once I get the hang of making a mod from scratch - the only tables edited would be projectile_explosions, projectiles and units_land_stats.

The mod above is simply an edit of the realistic explosions mod which changes the explosion type of the shell_12lb that is associated with all howitzers.

The only problem with giving this ability to cannon is that it would have to replace roundshot or cannister.

I'll need to have a bit more practice with modding before I produce something thats more than just a novelty.

Just as a feeler, how would people prefer the shrapnel to work: inaccurate but very dangerous, or accurate but less lethal?

Right, I've got the experimental howitzers firing shrapnel instead of carcass but I can't seem to stop those smoky trails coming off the back of the shells. I've changed the projectile explosion for carcass_12lb to my shrapnel shell recipe and deleted the trails from the projectiles table.

Anyone got any ideas?

Fuse type?
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Ok, turns out it's much harder than I thought. I can't get rid of the trails without making the game crash

Well?

61 downloads? Anyone having any problems? Too overpowered? Too underpowered?

If you could add them for cannons then would be great, and i think it was only the brits that used it, so that would make up for them having only 9lb'ers

Wow, I am gonna test it, seems great!
    Napoleon total war my mods

Sweden is underrestimated! Sweden is underrestimated!

Great! What about scripting smoke after explosion (6-12p guns) staying a little bit longer in the air?