Thread: Please give some tips :(

Default Please give some tips :(

First of all, when there is a major battle my army having sustained casualties, and I'm unable to achieve the objectives. I fought Austrians in a major battle just outside Vienna, defeated them but my army is now wasted and I cant take the city, so I had to go way back to French territories to replenish my army and then when I came back I saw Vienna again had a fresh full garrison. The cycle goes on and on. Now that would seem un-Napoleonic and very annoying.
    And then there is a large garrison at Berlin and all Prussian allies declared war on me, I will have to take all the capital cities of German states and then to Berlin, that would seem like eternity considering such slow replenishment rates!!!
    And I'm no bad strategist, I won every major battle but my army is incapable to take any city
    Please give some advice, this is the only problem the warrior king is facing

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Please give some tips :(

Quote Originally Posted by Shivendra View Post
    First of all, when there is a major battle my army having sustained casualties, and I'm unable to achieve the objectives. I fought Austrians in a major battle just outside Vienna, defeated them but my army is now wasted and I cant take the city, so I had to go way back to French territories to replenish my army and then when I came back I saw Vienna again had a fresh full garrison. The cycle goes on and on. Now that would seem un-Napoleonic and very annoying.
    And then there is a large garrison at Berlin and all Prussian allies declared war on me, I will have to take all the capital cities of German states and then to Berlin, that would seem like eternity considering such slow replenishment rates!!!
    And I'm no bad strategist, I won every major battle but my army is incapable to take any city
    Please give some advice, this is the only problem the warrior king is facing
    As far as taking Vienna is concerned, try taking Croatia first as there is normally a supply depot built by the AI in that territory. As its borders are very close to those of the Vienna region, you can safely sit there and rebuild your army without having to leave the area. As such you can keep an eye on the garrison and perhaps intercept reinforcements, too.

For Prussia, I would bring at least two armies to try and take Berlin. You may want to leave Berlin for later until you have liberated/occupied all the German states surrounding it.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

yeah. i wouldn't try to rush at the capitals you need for victory. just pick away at the regions around them, and occasionaly send an expeditionary force in to attack armies you know you can beat. build up the experience of your men, and wear down at the enemies coffers. if you build up infrastructure in the cities near vienna and berlin, you will have a place to recruit new troops and replenish your own. basically, just take everything slowly, and only attack when you know you can win handily.

Thanks for the quick reply +rep

Yes, I should have done that earlier, take the northern Austrian provinces, Venice and Croatia and then corner them to Vienna. Sounds like a good plan

As for Prussia, they have not initiated any major attack, Saxony and Meck are at war with me, so I will make a payed alliance with Hessen and Oldenburg, perhaps that will make Prussia busy for the meantime I crush Austrian rebellion and then take everything which lies up north.

Well if your army is wasted after the army defending Vienna sallied out, I recon their army is wasted too. Shouldn't be a problem to take the city than? Or do they have multiple armies defending the city?

Anyways, if you venture deep into enemy territory I'd advise to take more than one army with you on the march. Or indeed like suggested above chip away at their territories untill you're on the doorstep of Vienna.
    Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion

Yep for major faction capitals you need to take along at least two if not three full stacks and continually juggle units between them so that the one that is fighting is kept more or less up to strength.

Problem is you won't be able to afford multiple stacks unless you've built lots of trading ports and merchant ships - and for France that takes a lot of time during which the enemy will also be building up multiple full stacks.

You can quickly take Vienna if you immediately combine all your starting units around Strasbourg into one big stack under Napoleon and march straight for it - but it will only spawn huge rebel armies if you take it - so it makes more sense to take Venice and Innsbruck first as at least you'll be able to keep those when the peace treaty gets signed.

A much sounder starting strategy is to send Napoleon's starting stack west to the channel recruiting additional line infantry from Paris to join them en route, rendesvous it with Villeneuve's fleet at Brest and sail off to liberate Ireland and Scotland and take Britain out of the game.

Meanwhile Massena can still take Venice and Davout and Ney can take Innsbruck and keep the Bavarians alive.

If you take a couple of Austrian provinces you can also try selling one back in exchange for peace or even an alliance - it won't last long but will give you more time to eliminate Britain.

Having eliminated Britain altogether (which also requires you to send some cavalry across Spain to take Gibraltar - a perfect job for Murat) you are then in a position to take over all their trade and can tackle Prussia, Austria and Russia with more confidence.

However its never going to be easy as France.
    Last edited by Clodius; April 07, 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Also watch out for Hessen - in my French campaigns they have a nasty habit of turning on you when you least expect it and snatching away Strasbourg, Brussels, Rheims and even Paris while your main armies are away fighting around Vienna or Berlin.

I have one tip.

If it is hostile, kill it (Reference cookie for whoever gets it right).

if it moves .. KILL IT . if it doesnt move .. kill it anyway it might move later

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it! - Erwin Rommel

I say loot Vienna early to accelerate building in France, trash the whole region, then give it back to Austria. Even if they refuse they'll eventually attack when rebels take over. Let them deal with rebellions and Turks. Maybe 2 years down the road when they've built the region back up, go back and take it for real.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    I say loot Vienna early to accelerate building in France, trash the whole region, then give it back to Austria. Even if they refuse they'll eventually attack when rebels take over. Let them deal with rebellions and Turks. Maybe 2 years down the road when they've built the region back up, go back and take it for real.
    It's the taking Vienna he's having trouble with though, after that though I suppose this sounds like a good idea supposing he doesn't want it as a platform to move into other regions.

IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!!!

*failed attack*

GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

But for real, I hate playing as Britain in MP campaign, because if the enemy destroys your trade ships, you're screwed. Also, it's to much of a hassle to keep building merchant ships.

Woah, wtf happened..... wrong thread...

On topic: I like to loot their regions, destroy all of their buildings (completely - back from level one), then sell it back.
    Last edited by zezimasslave; April 08, 2010 at 03:02 PM.

I think the best for me will be to take the Austrian provinces west of Vienna, that would give me revenue too to maintain the army.

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

What I do is make a stack with Napoleon and the rest, go east, save Munich from being taken. Keep inching east. Meanwhile, in Italy with Massena, I usually wait and try to get him some more units. You will probably be attacked there soon, but with your army entrenched and reinforcements from Torino and Marseilles, you should win. Once Massena's army is built up, I take him east..

Definitely take Venice, it makes a ton of money. And take Zagreb right next to it. You may also want to sit one of your armies (Maybe Napoleon's) on a road to Vienna, giving your troops a full turn to fortify. Then they will attack you and you should be able to easily beat them with your fortifications. They will probably still have units in the city buts its most likely armed citizens, aka useless. Of course, if they have multiple armies around Vienna, don't do that, try to fight them one stack at a time. If you have a full stack (which you should by this point still) with Napoleon you should mop the floor with them. Try to cut them down to a single stack in and near Vienna.

Actually, taking the city is usually the easy part. Occupying it can be a because they hate you. You pretty much have to leave an entire stack there for several turns with taxes off in order to retain Vienna. If you don't want it, loot it, demolish the buildings, and then just leave. Let rebels take it back, it gives the remaining Austrians something else to worry about instead of killing you.
    Last edited by St. Cyr; April 09, 2010 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch, Your humble servant View Post
    It's the taking Vienna he's having trouble with though, after that though I suppose this sounds like a good idea supposing he doesn't want it as a platform to move into other regions.
    Was just adding to what clodius said, forgot to quote, sry for the confusion