Thread: Accuracy?

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

Icon1 Accuracy?

I know the majority of numbers in the game are not accurate, and I want to ask you:
    -What were the real ranges of the infantry (ex. line - 140, light - 170, skirmishers - 200)?
    -How many guns and crew the ships from these times had?
    -What were the real ranges of the artillery(and was the artillery like that in the game)?

Sorry for the english, if it is bad.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: Accuracy?

Moved to the Historical Research forums.

PM me with any questions.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

+rep Can someone tell for the ships, or they are real?
    Now I am searching in some weapon sites and from what I have found the ranges of the muskets in the game are quite accurate
    Last edited by Neoton; April 07, 2010 at 08:04 AM.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Neoton View Post
    -How many guns and crew the ships from these times had?
    -What were the real ranges of the artillery(and was the artillery like that in the game)?
    The ship gun numbers are accurate but as far as crew numbers are concerned, they are reduced to around 50% of what they would actually have been for most men o' war. The trade ships, however, have pretty accurate crew numbers.

http://www.napoleonguide.com/navy_rnratings.htm

Is handy for information at a glance, although a 5th rate would have anywhere between 32-48 guns.

The maximum range for the guns used during the period was around 1,500 yards with an effective range of about 800-1000 yards.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Libertus

Neoton buy the Book Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars there you can find many answers for your questions
    and 1 rate ship of the line have more than 100 guns and a crew about 900 sry for bad english
    i hope this will help you

Ballistic Performance at the end of the Eighteen Century

calibre Range in Paces / Canister Range in Paces
    Line 3 Pounder 1200 / 300-400
    Line 6 Pounder 1400 / 300-600
    Line 12 Pounder 1600 / 400-1000 use of heavier balls
    High Trajectory / Low Trajectory
    7 Pounder Howitzer 1100 / 1900

Quote Originally Posted by Neoton View Post
    Now I am searching in some weapon sites and from what I have found the ranges of the muskets in the game are quite accurate
    I would have said that its quite difficult to tell to be honest.

The main problem is the lack of any ground scale, so its quite difficult to work out what the distance over the ground is let alone how far a musket ball is actually travelling in the game.

If one assumes that a musket ball could cause an incapacitating wound as far out as say 300 yards and that a battalion of 600 men formed three deep occupied a frontage of 130 odd yards then musketry ought to have effect at about twice the distance in the game that a battalion occupies in three deep line. But, troops rarely fired at such long ranges unless armed with rifles, if one assumes that most fire fights would take place at 100 paces or less then the distance is about the same as the width of an NTW unit, and far shorter than actually depicted in the game.

Of course all of this goes out the window if one believes that a unit of NTW infantry only represents a company of 100 men. In which case the range of a musket should be about five to ten times the width of a unit, far farther than depicted in the game.
    Last edited by Didz; May 16, 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Remember that what you see on the battlefield does not represent 1:1 relationships - 'regiments' consisted of 600 to 4,000 men not the 60-160 we see.

So the '80' range for line infantry muskets does not necessarily represent 80 yards or metres - it could equally be 120 or 160.

And if the correct relationship between musket and artillery maximum ranges was maintained then your guns should be able to hit pretty much anything on the visible battlefield with roundshot and be able to fire canister a lot further than they do.

But this would produce very different battles where artillery would be king.

So the ranges they've picked have very little to do with historical accuracy - rather they're chosen to provide some level of balance where no element dominates over the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodius View Post
    Remember that what you see on the battlefield does not represent 1:1 relationships - 'regiments' consisted of 600 to 4,000 men not the 60-160 we see.
    That's precisely why it's so difficult to judge. If the NTW units represent full battalions of 600 men in three ranks then the ground scale is much greater than if they represent a unit of 160 men. If as you point out they represented a brigade or even a division then the ground scale would be greater still.

If the ranges were accurate and the ground/figure scales calculated correctly then the game would be much closer to a tabletop wargame where these things are taken into account.