Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone found a way to run the old Rev War Mod with the CA DLC and Patches

Newman55f9's Avatar Libertus

Default Has anyone found a way to run the old Rev War Mod with the CA DLC and Patches

Hello all,

I really want to be able to play a vanilla general campaign starting in 1700 with the TAR units (in other words the old Rev War Mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244468 ). It does not look like a 1700 vanilla grand campaign with TAR units will be coming around and I don't know if I yet possess the skills or time to try to make one.

I suspected and Carricanta has verrified that the last few steam updates will break the old mod.

Is there anyone out there who is still playing the old mod and found a fix to allow the DLC units to be bought and the new BAI patch to be implemented?

In the alternative is there anyone willing to help me?

Any suggestions regarding possible tweaks to make the old mod work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Newman55f9

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Has anyone found a way to run the old Rev War Mod with the CA DLC and Patches

Quote Originally Posted by Newman55f9 View Post
    Hello all,

I really want to be able to play a vanilla general campaign starting in 1700 with the TAR units (in other words the old Rev War Mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244468 ). It does not look like a 1700 vanilla grand campaign with TAR units will be coming around and I don't know if I yet possess the skills or time to try to make one.

I suspected and Carricanta has verrified that the last few steam updates will break the old mod.

Is there anyone out there who is still playing the old mod and found a fix to allow the DLC units to be bought and the new BAI patch to be implemented?

In the alternative is there anyone willing to help me?

Any suggestions regarding possible tweaks to make the old mod work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Newman55f9
    Am afraid not mate, you will need to update to latest TAR mod

Default Re: Has anyone found a way to run the old Rev War Mod with the CA DLC and Patches

Toon,

I will update to the TAR, but that won't help me do a vanilla general campaign from 1700 onward with the units. I am also afraid the TAR may have so many bells and whistles I really won't be able to play it at ultra settings until I get a new computer. Having contributed as much to the Mod as you have often noted I really would like to use the units.

I am hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction to help me solve my problem. I am not the only person who wants to use TAR units for a vanilla 1700 campaign either. The issue is a lack of technical knowledge how to do it. I am motivated by the fact that CA seems done with ETW so there should not be any more patches to screw up the mod if it can get fixed.

Ignorance is not stupidity and can be remedied. I am not ready to give up yet although I would certainly appreciate any help or direction I can get from anyone.

Newman55f9

carricanta's Avatar Going Nowhere Fast!

I support your post, Newman... but i can play the old TAR when i copied and pasted in a different file* the new patches.
    *the file created in to the data folder

Carricanta,

I assume by this method you can't buy DLC content or get the 1.6 BAI fix patch though right?

Toon,

Did the new BAI patch screw up the TAR at all?

Carricanta,

I assume by this method you can't buy DLC content or get the 1.6 BAI fix patch though right?

Toon,

Did the new BAI patch screw up the TAR at all?
    No the new Patch gave CA's new formations but i cannot fix this unless you have a version of TAR mod, so playing the old AWI mod will be fine.

I strongly suggest that you upgrade to TAR mod and you can still have the AWI mod to play via your vanilla game, and purchase the DLC units as well.

Finally, when you download TAR mod you will have the same unitsthat you have in AWI mod, just DO NOT download the 24 bit texture versions as these only work on top end PC's

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Hello Newman mate,as much as i support your post and understand what you want,i dont know why you just not can keep your old AWI units installed in your vanilla Empire ?

When TAR was allready released for some weeks,i still had my mind set on finishing my campaigns with vanilla Empire and the AWI mods included,so i did ;there were no issues back then so why should there be issues now ?

Like Toon and Carricanta say, you can still have vanilla with AWI units enabled through modmanager,at least thats what i think is possible,right guys ?
    Id just try this first mate

As for downloading TAR or TAR II in the very near future,imo there are no more bells and whistles graphically then vanilla Empire ,only Do not include the TAR 24 bit textures !

Im sorry when i couldnt have been of some more help regarding this issue Newman,but technical compatibility for mods is not something i know much about im afraid(nothing really)

If the modmanager set up dont work then please try what Carricanta says works(with the copying and pasting)

But i know you are an American Revolutionary War lover pur sang,so i,in your case,would just get TAR and play the American revolutionary GC,and like i said,without the 24 bits download,the graphical requirements are just the same as vanilla!!

Arent the AWI units included in the Darthmod as well? And doesnt Darthmod have the GC still set on 1700 ?
    So maybe you should try that Mod as well mate ?

Hope this works out for you!
    Best Regards

Well commented Morganh!!
    Just to reiterate:

1. Use Mod Manager to play AWI mod if you wish, as there is no conflict with TAR mod (Seperate installer and no crossover of files), so you can have the best of both worlds mate!!
    2. There are some units of Britain and Americans in TAR mod, just Vanilla reskins i believe in DMUC

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Is it possible to play with the TAR units from 1700 using TAR? I used the old separate mods to continue doing that, but since CA patch 1.6 I constantly crash playing as Spain after a first-time realtime naval-battle. I am beginning to wish CA didn't bother, given how their patches sometimes seem to pull the rug from other existing mods. My favourite units are the TAR ones so this is a shame.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Okay mates I am a bit confused.

I was under the impression that the new automatic upgrades for the DLC units broke the old Rev War mod and was wondering if the 1.6 BAI patch would break it also. I know Toon implemented a change that worked for the TAR and the old Rev War mod after the elite units of America came out, but was not certain if there was a old Rev War Mod compatable solution to the elite units of the East DLC and 1.6 BAI patch. I was under the impression that Carricanta's fix allowed the old mod to work, but precluded the DLC units from being used. Thank you Carricanta for your help. If I am understanding correctly what I should do is:

1. Take a screen shot of my data folder prior to the autoupdate;
    2. Find the new patches after the download;
    3. Make a new "data" folder within the common data folder;
    4. Copy and paste the new patches into the new "data folder" and delete the original;
    5. I may have to delete the 1.6 patch entirely.

Geronimo,
    It would seem you are confirming that after the 1.6 BAI patch you are experiencing problems with the old Rev War Mods. Thank you for the information. Can the 1.6 patch be located and destroyed or does it pretty much infiltrate the game data and become irreversable? Also I saw from another post that it looks like you use a navy marine mod, have you tried unchecking that to see if that is what is crashing your naval battle after 1.6?

Morgan,
    If you still have the old Rev War Mods, would you please start a vanilla 1700 campaign with them and see if you have the same problem with it as Geronimo?

Toon,
    You disabled the CA 33rd Foot because it interfered with the TAR 33rd Foot. Which program should I use to open the CA file controlling this and where will it be in my game data folder?

To back up what I have can I simply copy the entire common data folder of the game and store it in a "emergency backup folder." If things go terribly wrong can I just replace the new folder with the old one or would I need to copy more than that?

Thank you for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Newman
    Last edited by Newman55f9; April 07, 2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: additional info

Newman - yes, you can backup the data folder somewhere and use Pack File manager to alter any stats in the db files, bot to be negative but i think your onto a loss leader with trying to play the game in 1700 woth the old AWI mods as they all now need updating!!!
    Here is what i will do, once TAR 2.0 is launched i will look into enabling a game that you can start in 1700 but i have no idea how this can be done for now, this is not my area of expertise but i do know the man who can maybe do this for me

Sorry my friend but at the moment i dont have AWI,i dont have TAR ,i even dont have Empire anymore,hell i even havent got a PC anymore because it has totally crashed!
    all my TWs and their data have vanished im afraid,but im glad Toon,Carricanta and Geronimo have given you some things to try and check out
    And the TAR II set up that will make it playable from 1700 will be very interesting as well
    I hope this all will work out for you mate!
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by ♔MorganH♔ View Post
    Sorry my friend but at the moment i dont have AWI,i dont have TAR ,i even dont have Empire anymore,hell i even havent got a PC anymore because it has totally crashed!
    all my TWs and their data have vanished im afraid,but im glad Toon,Carricanta and Geronimo have given you some things to try and check out
    And the TAR II set up that will make it playable from 1700 will be very interesting as well
    I hope this all will work out for you mate!
    regards
    Just to clarify that TAR 2.0 will not be 1700 playable, I will look into this with hip63 after TAR 2.0, if possible will look to intergrate the earlier start of 1700 if possible.

Sry,yes i understood that mate!

Morgan,

I am so sorry mate. How frustrating. I hope you are able to get everything back in order soon. The computer I am running crashed once for no apparent reason and using the recovery disk I was able to restore all old programs and all data. It was very weird, every Total War game, mod file and tiny word file saved, but I had to reinstall any programs not originally on the computer and I get the feeling I may have lots of electronic baggage from the old programs just taking up space on my hard drive. The most annoying thing is that all the old programs appear to be there until you actually try to run them. Do you have a recovery disk of some sort?

Toon,

Thank you Mate!I can certainly help do the tedious stuff if I have enough detailed guidance. I think if the TAR can handle a vanilla 1700 grand campaign it will become even more popular. Would it be easier to do just a TAR light, just as there are Darth light and United Providence light versions? Then there would be no need for all the Startpos stuff right? Would that make it easier?

One clarrification I need is exactly in what folder is the vanilla db files?
    Last edited by Newman55f9; April 08, 2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Morgan,

I am so sorry mate. How frustrating. I hope you are able to get everything back in order soon. The computer I am running crashed once for no apparent reason and using the recovery disk I was able to restore all old programs and all data. It was very weird, every Total War game, mod file and tiny word file saved, but I had to reinstall any programs not originally on the computer and I get the feeling I may have lots of electronic baggage from the old programs just taking up space on my hard drive. The most annoying thing is that all the old programs appear to be there until you actually try to run them. Do you have a recovery disk of some sort?

Toon,

Thank you Mate!I can certainly help do the tedious stuff if I have enough detailed guidance. I think if the TAR can handle a vanilla 1700 grand campaign it will become even more popular. Would it be easier to do just a TAR light, just as there are Darth light and United Providence light versions? Then there would be no need for all the Startpos stuff right? Would that make it easier?

One clarrification I need is exactly in what folder is the vanilla db files?
    The files are all in your data folder, example: Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data

I am not sure how the 1700 game will work, so all i will do is mention it to the powers of the Sith Lord (hip63) and I will see what he can do for you mate.
    If we cannot do this you can still play vanilla game with AWI units and TAR mod together!!

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Geronimo,
    It would seem you are confirming that after the 1.6 BAI patch you are experiencing problems with the old Rev War Mods. Thank you for the information. Can the 1.6 patch be located and destroyed or does it pretty much infiltrate the game data and become irreversable? Also I saw from another post that it looks like you use a navy marine mod, have you tried unchecking that to see if that is what is crashing your naval battle after 1.6?
    Yes I tried that days ago and the problem remains. It seems to run okay when I just run Darthmod, AUM and my Portuguese units pack though.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Geronimo,

I assume you tried running it with just the old Rev War packs and it crashed then after the 1.6 BAI patch? Were you running all 4 mods (British, French, American, Spanish)?

Toon,

Do you have any idea what the problem could be related to 1.6? It seems odd that 1.6 would not require changes to the TAR, but would for the old Rev War mod which was so much less ambitious. All I am really concerned about is being able to play the old mods in the vanilla 1700 campaign in addition to the TAR.

Geronimo,

I assume you tried running it with just the old Rev War packs and it crashed then after the 1.6 BAI patch? Were you running all 4 mods (British, French, American, Spanish)?

Toon,

Do you have any idea what the problem could be related to 1.6? It seems odd that 1.6 would not require changes to the TAR, but would for the old Rev War mod which was so much less ambitious. All I am really concerned about is being able to play the old mods in the vanilla 1700 campaign in addition to the TAR.
    The Patch 1.6 was just some formation additions from CA, so should not alter the AWI mod in any way!, all i suggest is for now download TAR mod get used to its gameplay and I will see what i can do for a 1700 game.

I have no idae what you wish to acheive with this 1700 mod so can you liase wwwwwih all concerned and make me a list with all its contents and what units need to be in game etc..i cannot help you on this mate as i only ever wnated the American Revolution mod.
    So its back too all of you who want this 1700 mod, be thorough think it all through and make a list of what we need to acheive, thanks
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; April 08, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

just to say I use the Brit & Hessian packs without isue with the DMUC - modified a couple of the recruitement areas but all work a treat
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast