Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: V1-V3 Valhalla Fan thread

Foederatus

Default V1-V3 Valhalla Fan thread

It has occured to me that valhalla does not have a fan thread, which is rediculus because they are the most adventurous of any faction on thera.

I mean, they travel the world in search of blood and unafraid to loose it...
    Bringing home gold, national treasures, and exotic mercenaries, the men of valhalla are epic, versatile, and impetuous. If you haven't tried them yet, it needs to be on your to do list

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Valhalla!

Quote Originally Posted by Cignetti View Post
    It has occured to me that valhalla does not have a fan thread, which is rediculus because they are the most adventurous of any faction on thera.

I mean, they travel the world in search of blood and unafraid to loose it...
    Bringing home gold, national treasures, and exotic mercenaries, the men of valhalla are epic, versatile, and impetuous. If you haven't tried them yet, it needs to be on your to do list
    BAH! they are nothing but barbarians, all those that stand against the Reich must die.

but seriously they are one of my favorite factions, it is always fun to send my longboats to Avalon and the Vatican

Foederatus

By turn 90, the vatican has over 10 full armies (dont ask me how), so i raided the world for money to buy exotic mercs. I filled 2 islands and a province of forts for them to be upkept (there must have been at least 75-100 forts worth) and after i just collect roman, uruk, and lao che i will sport every type of mercenary in the game... and have armies from every continant to fight with. The invasion will take my whole family tree, and the number of full armies contending will be around 25... you want epic, i think this is as epic a turn as i will have ever fought, and may take 2 days to play

i'll post the final body count and wether im ruined, or chivalry is

Quote Originally Posted by Cignetti View Post
    By turn 90, the vatican has over 10 full armies (dont ask me how), so i raided the world for money to buy exotic mercs. I filled 2 islands and a province of forts for them to be upkept (there must have been at least 75-100 forts worth) and after i just collect roman, uruk, and lao che i will sport every type of mercenary in the game... and have armies from every continant to fight with. The invasion will take my whole family tree, and the number of full armies contending will be around 25... you want epic, i think this is as epic a turn as i will have ever fought, and may take 2 days to play

i'll post the final body count and wether im ruined, or chivalry is
    do that the vatican must be extremely rich, the inquisition always have massive armies in those two little islands, while i was betatesting v3 full i invaded the vatican with my viking armies and i got crushed.

Ruckulf's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Valhalla Fan thread

I don't like the Valhalla.. They killed my heir who was also my greatest general!
    The little buggers paid with their lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckulf View Post
    I don't like the Valhalla.. They killed my heir who was also my greatest general!
    The little buggers paid with their lives!
    I second that move...

Wow there is 3:1 haters/fan ratio in the FAN thread, what did the vikings ever do to you?
    My A-list of mods to play
    Lord of the Rings total war
    Thera Legacy of the Great Torment
    End of Days and its sequel
    Third Age total war, similar to Lord of the rings total war
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP
    Bringing the light of God(Canadian) Emperor to the fringes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by midterm360 View Post
    Wow there is 3:1 haters/fan ratio in the FAN thread, what did the vikings ever do to you?
    they are jealous because the vikings are so much more manly than their puny samurais.

Tyrenia's Avatar Tiro

I have to say, I'm worried that Valhalla will become Thera's Milan (the faction that, in spite of how good it is, you can't bring yourself to play because of how they betrayed and rolled you until you were able to muster a counter attack). While they look like a fantastic faction, they beat the crap out of me playing as Sycorax (VH/M). I made a marriage alliance with them so I could concentrate on my front with the Privateers, when they send 3 stacks to attack my 3 biggest cities (which were lightly defended so I could support a several stack invasion of Privateer lands) which they took. Suffice to say it took me about 30-40 turns to fully remove them from Lenapa, a war which lead to severe debt supporting enough armies to fend of the Viking menace.

So I want to play as them, but find it difficult to empathise with a faction which caused me so many trials and tribulations...
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything"
    -Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

Playing them is no cakewalk : their only easy early foe are the Teutonic, whom they can squash thanks to their numerous AP units. Sycorax have too much firepower to be an easy prey.

All in all, I never found their roster to be very appealing, plus they are too blonde for my taste (racism is everywhere )

EDIT : haven't played a full game with them in V3, so my knowledge of their late game army is rather limited.
    Last edited by Humakty; April 09, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Ten times more numerous, by night and backstabbing.

Senior member of the G.L.I.N..

Foederatus

The Sycorax put up more of a fight than the christain factions do. And Valhalla thrives on their versatility... their units survive much better in a chaotic brawl than contemporary battle lines. I recomend leaving the spyd men out of your armies if you think you can manuver around being calvary charged, as yorxmen will hit calvary much harder but take major blows if charged by them
    But as i said before, the real trick to playing as the valhalla is to keep 2 raiding armies cycling through the AORs, sacking cities, and sending home exotic mercenaries. Their lack of calvary can be supplimented by germanic knights found in the southern dracule lands and europa, Rohan archers will hit much harder than boja men, and the crossbowmen of chivaly last a rather long time assuming you choose to invest in them. I like to send raiding parties off with 1 family member and 4 Jarls... as jarls are great seige assault units and excell on walls (not to mention that the bodyguard units automatically retrain)

Quote Originally Posted by Humakty View Post
    Playing them is no cakewalk : their only easy early foe are the Teutonic, whom they can squash thanks to their numerous AP units. Sycorax have too much firepower to be an easy prey.

All in all, I never found their roster to be very appealing, plus they are too blonde for my taste (racism is everywhere )

EDIT : haven't played a full game with them in V3, so my knowledge of their late game army is rather limited.
    IMO their roster is much more flavourful from what they were in the V3 Xmas Beta, before it was a very vannila roster, not so much anymore though
    My A-list of mods to play
    Lord of the Rings total war
    Thera Legacy of the Great Torment
    End of Days and its sequel
    Third Age total war, similar to Lord of the rings total war
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP
    Bringing the light of God(Canadian) Emperor to the fringes of TWC

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

I've always liked and even preferred infantry-centric armies in TW games. Those silly fools with their unreliable beasts will fear the bite of my axe! (guess that's the Amon Amarth I'm listening to talking.)

BrodY's Avatar Semisalis

I currently play as Valhalla, and I must say I've enjoyed them the most this far. Their starting location is perfect for spreading from right to the left. I eliminated the Men of Wotan, and then started moving left. I grew tired of that journey and started capturing islands to the south. They're very fun to play, and pretty easily defended areas.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

You should take the Uruk Island to the south (the small one, not the large one at the bottom). It's easy pickings and also, starting a war with the Uruks won't hamper you since they are all the way at the bottom of the map and you are at the top.

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

I am considering removing the Haer teir from the Valhalla roster (the slavic looking unts) and replacing/enlarging with the Hälvgud (hero) teir. The intention being to to make them look more traditional viking/warband less proferssional, and a slight trimming of the roster (since they have their own core troops plus the Rohan Zor on Norselund, and Lenapa Zor in Lenapa.

There will be also be the positive effect that Hälvguds would be a noble unit and therefor free upkeep (in limited numbers of course).This would mean those slavic models would only be used by the Gaellics, making them more unquie.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstONeill View Post
    I am considering removing the Haer teir from the Valhalla roster (the slavic looking unts) and replacing/enlarging with the Hälvgud (hero) teir. The intention being to to make them look more traditional viking/warband less proferssional, and a slight trimming of the roster (since they have their own core troops plus the Rohan Zor on Norselund, and Lenapa Zor in Lenapa.

There will be also be the positive effect that Hälvguds would be a noble unit and therefor free upkeep (in limited numbers of course).This would mean those slavic models would only be used by the Gaellics, making them more unquie.
    it would be better that way, more viking looking and all that.

Agreed, the more Viking, the better. (Not being a Gaelics expert, but why do they use a slavic unit? Or is it just the model look you're talking about?)

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Quote Originally Posted by toluas View Post
    Agreed, the more Viking, the better. (Not being a Gaelics expert, but why do they use a slavic unit? Or is it just the model look you're talking about?)
    They just use a model that has a slavic stlye helmet, but since no other units in Thera use it, i thera tis a Gaelic look

This line of models

Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 25, 2010 at 02:44 PM.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

I always long to feel again the power of viking units in MTW I, talk to me of a gorgeous early game !
    Ten times more numerous, by night and backstabbing.

Senior member of the G.L.I.N..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast