Thread: [very out of date] Preview 2: The Mauryan Empire

Default Re: Preview 2: The Mauryan Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    @Florin: Let him speak
    Pardon?

Carados's Avatar Senator

Florin80: Mistaken for interrupting I think

CC: Chakras are metal rings I believe. Not sure how they work or their method of use mind but they look like throwing weapons.

I'll be coming back to this thread again to read more about this lot
    Developer for the Extended Realism mod for RTR Platinum.
    Developer for RTRVII and protégé of Caligula Caesar

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

correct Carados. you can watch this if you are interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNw2slOK3Y

[QUOTE=Caligula Caesar;7174274]First of all... wow! I wasn't expecting that much I won't be able to change all of this, since I can't change models, but I hope some may be done.

every little bit would be cheered by me !

I didn't make the units, actually, I only edited them. If I hadn't, then a lot more would have been shirless Would the padding on the Ksatrya Asva (Light Cavalry) constitute sutrakantaka and the armour on some of the units (incl Gandharan Cavalry) be patajalika? I don't have any chainmail here, could you provide any pics? And what units would wear chainmail?

the names of the units can be changed right ? I hope you won't mind if I propose some more historically realistic names for these units ?
    you are right, the light cavalry would be wearing the sutrakantaka (flak jackets)
    as for chainmail, heavy cavalry for certain and certain elite infantry units.

That is beyond my skill, sorry (and I doubt I can get anyone around here to do it for me )

no problems. pardon a noobie asking, how does one make these models in the first place ? any beginner level tutorial anywhere ?

I had heard that every region has its own weapon... if I can somehow get someone to do some modelling (changing weapons around a bit is easier than adding trousers), then I can add some weapon varieties if you give me a few pics

wilco !

You say it comes later, but I start in 267 BC, in the reign of Ashoka. Why would it come later if it is his lion standard?

I must have missed it that you wanted to start in Ashoka's reign. why though ? he wasn't a particularly good general and was the worlds first treehugger to boot. good ruler but is he good enough to be a faction leader on 'total war' ?

I haven't a clue. Tbh, I found referances that they were used often and looked at the units available. Then I decided that that one would fit as the Uttarapatha Swordsmen I am a bit more lax with my accuracy and research on this than for VII He doesn't look too Greek to me, but it there are any Hellenistic influences, he comes from the north which traded with Baktria a lot.

cool, I'll post my two pences on this.

I don't know. I think I found it somewhere. I also found "Samraaj" as emperor, so I decided to take the "t" version... easy enough to change

Quote Originally Posted by Boom S View Post
    About the map showing the empire in blue, which is probably from wiki, has the location of the cities wrong. Indraprashta for example would be where delhi is now, quite a bit to SE to what has been depicted on the map.

It is indeed. And it is wrong - Mathura is also misplaced I believe. Can you check if the settlements on the map I showed are correct? And I'm not sure Alor should even there...

will do.

Those are rather difficult. Maybe at some point after the units for VII are done I can get Tony to work around the model a bit so that the spear is shorter and change the shield (I can reskin it, but the shield model would still need changing). There are some fine shields in that link, and I'll try to make use of them. Also, it is unfortunately not possible to have another melee weapon along with a spear (except for phalangites), so I could add a throwing spear, but not a sword.

florin80 has already said this and I've replied, you must have missed it.

Having such a unit would be pretty cool and hopefully possible Although, it is hard to tell what the weapon looks like on that image - could you provide a few more, please?

the youtube video would above will give you a very good idea.

Maybe I should have a light and a heavy archer unit? That would be quite possible with the skins I have (the chariot archer would be heavy).

having one light and one heavy archer unit would be very nice, I've given a description of how a light infantry unit should look like and what its attributes should be in an earlier post. may be you can have a look at it ?
    My comp doesn't like long posts atm...

oops sorry !

The bow in the pic is what you want, right? I'll see what can be done

a bit longer than that !
    Megasthenes says the bows were longer than a man ! Indian texts echo that view !

I don't know if there is enough interest in this for me to continue. I would take no reply as a no and stop.
    thank you all.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Of course I am interested I had a busy day yesterday and didn't get a chance to reply...

the names of the units can be changed right ? I hope you won't mind if I propose some more historically realistic names for these units ? you are right, the light cavalry would be wearing the sutrakantaka (flak jackets)
    as for chainmail, heavy cavalry for certain and certain elite infantry units.

What I meant is that the cavalry is wearing a flak jacket of some sort. I currently have the Gandharan Heavy Cavalry wearing a breastplate - should he have chainmail then? I have one elite swordsman with some sort of padding, and another with a breastplate - is that ok (I suppose you are getting to that, though ) It's quite easy to change that. The names of units can be changed easily, so don't hesitate there

no problems. pardon a noobie asking, how does one make these models in the first place ? any beginner level tutorial anywhere ?

Well... you have to have a programm called "3ds Max" first. This programm costs somewhere around £2,500 unless you buy the student version, an old version second hand or something (these will likely still be expensive)... or by other means... and since I don't have £2,500 handy and don't intend to get a criminal record at the age of 15... well...

I must have missed it that you wanted to start in Ashoka's reign. why though ? he wasn't a particularly good general and was the worlds first treehugger to boot. good ruler but is he good enough to be a faction leader on 'total war' ?

My mod is not primarily on India. The map in fact stretches all the way from Iberia to the western half of India. I started in 267 BC because the situation in both the west and the east is quite interesting and balanced then (the Punic War starts soon, the Chremonidean War is being fought in Greece, and in the East it is between the 1st and 2nd Syrian Wars. And since I can't make new models, and my skinning skill, though improving, is still limited, it is also a good idea to start near when a lot of other mods start

oops sorry !

Don't worry, it is my long posts my PC doesn't like, not yours

a bit longer than that ! Megasthenes says the bows were longer than a man ! Indian texts echo that view !

True, people speak of "Indian Longbows". That is definitely something I need to try and fix at some point

will do.

Thx

the youtube video would above will give you a very good idea.

Thx

having one light and one heavy archer unit would be very nice, I've given a description of how a light infantry unit should look like and what its attributes should be in an earlier post. may be you can have a look at it ?

Ok, will do. Your descriptions sounds feasable to make.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

fantastic, thanks for the reply.

your light cavalry is quite good in terms of weapons and attire, especially the sleeveless flak jacket. there is only the general gripe with the pointy hats (which are persian and not used in India) and the beards. beards were the mark of holymen and ascetics, not soldiers, few if any soldiers would have had beards. these two points are true for all units.

if you can, please remove beards from all units. you can add moustaches to a couple of units(like you have to the elite infantry) if you want.

as for headgear, when in doubt, add a turban.

to sum up discussions so far, I'm putting up a tentative roster of units with suggested characteristics. tell me if you are ok with it or if you have any questions.

Infantry
    Melee
    Generic Name: Spear armed Line infantry
    Corresponding unit in your roster : Levy Spearmen
    Suggested Name (if any) : Padatik Sena
    Primary Weapon: Spear
    Secondary Weapon: none
    Shield : Large rectangular shield. (can you change this ? the current one looks unique to africa)
    Armour : Half sleeved Flak jackets upto the middle of the thighs.
    Attire : same as now with the addition kayabandhani (a piece of cloth tied as a waist band) keeping the jacket together
    Comments : This unit would quite cheap and hence probably be numerous as well, they would be reasonably disciplined with a moderate morale. Historically, most of these men would have been from the territorial army, i.e citizenry who would be mobilised only in times of war except a core of professional soldiers who would hold the unit together in peacetime. Not being from the standing army their attributes could not have been anything more than average. They made up with numbers however.

Generic Name: Line Swordsmen
    Corresponding unit in your roster : None
    Suggested Name (if any) :
    Asi Yoddha
    Primary Weapon:
    Kharga
    Secondary Weapon:
    Javelin
    Shield :
    Round shield of about 1 feet diameter.
    Armour :
    Same as in Padatik Sena
    Attire :
    -DO-
    Comments :
    These soldiers would be of a grade little higher than the Padatik Sena, they would be quite respectable in terms of skill, discipline and morale since the bulk of them would have been from the standing army. their recruitment costs and upkeep both should be a little higher than Padatik Sena.

Ok, so the levy spears should have a flack jacket? That's good, because I don't like bare-chested barbarians Too vanilla-like. Getting a light swordsman unit might be problematic, but I'll see what I can do. May I ask you your sources, btw?

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Infantry

Melee
    (continued)3.
    Generic Name: Elite Swordsmen
    Corresponding unit in your roster :
    Uttarpatha Ksatrya
    Antarvamsik Sainik(King's Own Guards)
    Primary Weapon: Straight SwordHataka(I will post a picture)
    Secondary Weapon:
    None
    Shield :
    Large round Shield of about 2 feet diameter, your current shield looks fine.
    Armour :
    Quite heavily armoured with breastplates, shoulder guards, forearm guards, neckguards and in some cases, even thigh guards. a helmet is mentioned but I'm yet to find any pictorial representation. most if not all of these would have been metallic.still, the units probably won't have been as heavily armoured as a corresponding unit from Europe in order to maintain mobility, because of the climate consideration.
    Attire :
    current configuration is fine.
    Comments :
    These units were the core of Mauryan standing army as the most elite of the infantry. They were never disbanded under any circumstances and would have been fiercely loyal to the Emperor, IOW very high discipline and morale. On the downside, they constituted only a small fraction of the total infantry, not more than 10-15% of the total infantry. In order to reflect this in the game you might make this unit a high price one.

Generic Name:
    Elite Spearmen
    Corresponding unit in your roster :
    None
    Gandhara Phalanx PikemenThis unit should be more or less similar to the phalanx pikemen of the Seleucid faction. http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/info/...ts/index.shtml
    Primary Weapon:
    Long Spear or Sarissa
    Secondary Weapon :
    whatever these units can carry. don't want to get on the bad side of the game engine !
    Shield :
    -DO-
    Armour :
    -DO-
    Attire :
    -DO-
    Comments :
    For all practical purposes Gandhara was a mini-Greece in those days, in arts and everything the Hellenic traditions were still strong. It stands to reason that Gandhara men, many of whom earned a living as mercenaries would seek employment in the form of troops that were the USP of the all-conquering Macedonian army.
    This should be an AOR unit with a high cost as befitting an elite force at a place where it is in high demand but the employer doesn't have an alternative.

Look, I don't really intend to make a full redo of the Mauryan faction. This rooster is present in a similar way in other mods, and I believe I have improved upon it. I seriously doubt Gandhara fielded phalanx units in this time period - can you provide a source on that, as well as for your other units? - and you seem to be saying different things. For instance, you said that the spearmen should be javelin-wielding spearmen with a sword. When you found out that that wasn't possible, you said I should make it a light swordsman unit with a round shield. Now you say it should have a long rectangular shield (btw, no such shields were native to Africa...) and the swordsman should be a seperate unit with a different sword. I seem to not have mentioned that making skins isn't easy, especially since I don't have a model available (rendering things impossible). I seem to not also have mentioned that there are hardcoded limits to how many units you can have ingame, and for what I have planned, I think I have enough units for Maurya.

You do make some good points, particularly with the longbowmen, however, I would appreciate it if you could summarise things into one post (you can write it on Word if you want) and then post it with good sources. That I think would be far more productive than having you make endless posts on what you think is more accurate (not that it isn't, but I need sources to be pursueded!) during which you repeat yourself somewhat and... accidentally contradict yourself.

I would also like to ask what Indian language you are using, since all of my names seem to be wrong... and I do not doubt that Prometheus researched them well... they are in an old variety of Sanskrit.

Thanks

look, no need to fall on me like a ton of bricks all of a sudden !

I've already said, you are free to use any, all or no part of what I suggest. it's your mod, it's completely up to you what changes to incorporate, if any at all. cool ?

and you seem to be saying different things. For instance, you said that the spearmen should be javelin-wielding spearmen with a sword. When you found out that that wasn't possible, you said I should make it a light swordsman unit with a round shield. Now you say it should have a long rectangular shield (btw, no such shields were native to Africa...) and the swordsman should be a seperate unit with a different sword.
    I apologise for the spearman/swordsman confusion, but I realised I was asking to change the spearman into a swordsman while both would be needed to form a historically accurate Mauryan army.
    I figured it would be lesser work for you to change the existing spearman into a better spearman than into a swordsman. you already have two swordsman units, all I'm saying is convert or substitute one of them into a line infantry swordsman unit. you will still have two swordsman units, like you do now.

On shield : the shield that you have now on the Levy Spearmen, I've never seen anything like it in India and the closest thing is a Zulu warrior shield. See for yourself,
    http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...141/Spears.jpg
    http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/S...tle-hide-a.jpg
    That I think would be far more productive than having you make endless posts on what you think is more accurate (not that it isn't, but I need sources to be pursueded!) during which you repeat yourself somewhat and... accidentally contradict yourself.
    I repeated some of the points deliberately, seeing that you were having difficulty grasping all of it at one go, the post about swords and spears for example. If you insist that is not a problem I'll be more curt in the future.
    I've already cleared up on the so-called contradiction.

Problem is, my young friend, you can't expect me to be both short and concise and provide sources in the same breath, those two requests contradict each other.

Since you say your friend who has done the research is reliable accurate, could you ask him where he got
    a) the specific details about the shield shape and size
    b) length of spears
    c) the names of the units
    etc.

I'll tell you a little secret, google up those names and see for yourself what are the options, this thread is at the top of the list and another thread @ allempires.net are the ONLY sources for those names on the net ! you can guess how historically accurate those names are !

post on my sources coming up.
    Last edited by Boom S; April 22, 2010 at 12:15 AM.

Sources :
    I would like to start by stating that getting accurate info at one place on ancient Indian war practices is a very difficult thing, there are few reliable modern books and most of the ancient sources were burnt up during the Muslim invasions of the middle ages, think of it as the burning of the Alexandria library repeated all over India scores of times over a period of hundred or more years.

there are only a handful of ancient texts from India that survive, in addition to the accounts of the Greek historians accompanying Alexander and Greek Ambassadors to the Mauryan courts(Megasthenes, Dionysius etc)

of the Indian sources, the most authoritative is Arthashastra by Kautilya, Chandragupta Maurya's mentor and Prime Minister, it is also my primary source. the epics Ramayana and Mahabharata which are considered to be historically accurate by historians as far as details go. In additions there are other ancient texts like the Puranas and works by grammarians like Panini and Patanjali. Last two I haven't read in the original but have come across as secondary sources in books written in modern times. Some of the units info would be extrapolation of what Kautilya has mentioned using what I know about societal structure of Maurya empire.

Therefore, if you want to know my sources, you have to be specific "for what". If I try to write up the sources for everything, it will surpass the actual unit info many times over and run into many pages.

If there is one specific unit or information you need a source for, do let me know and I'll be happy to provide the sources.

The gandhara spearman is educated speculation, the only one so far and I've already mentioned it in the original post. the reasons behind every bit of that deduction is quite solid. but then it is only as much speculation as your Gandhara elite infantry and much better supported by facts IMHO.
    Consider the following factors, Gandhara was a very Hellenic province, to be precise even a macedonian one, other than the evidence from its arts, which is almost 100% greek in quality, all Indian texts refer to the residents of the province as yavanas(greeks) or mlechchas(barbarians, which was a grouping that included yavanas) as does Ashoka's rock edicts in these areas.
    it's also well known that many of its inhabitants earned a living as soldiers of fortune, as attested in the epic Mahabharata and Vishkhdatta's historical play Mudrarakhshasa, which is based on the backdrop of Chandragupta Maurya's rule.
    now ask this question to yourself, if the Gandhara greeks wanted employment as soldiers with the Mauryans, the nearest and most lucrative option, what type of soldiers would they have presented themselves as ? swordsmen ? Mauryans already had enough highly skilled swordsmen (swords, along with bows were venerated in Indian warrior tradition and there are many detailed treatises on the art of swordplay) and they made probably the best quality steel swords of that time (look up wootz steel)
    The Mauryans had no need for yet another group of swordsmen who would probably also expect higher salaries but bring no distinct advantages.
    doesn't it make every sense that a group of greek soldiers, who had kept the macedonian tradition alive in a far away land, would present themselves as the most accomplished arm of the famed macedonian army, the phalanxes, instead of run of the mill swordsmen who were dime a dozen in the prospective employers army and probably of a much better quality and lower cost ?

This game is speculation about "what if" the Mauryan Emperors decided to lock horns with kingdoms further west. Mauryas already had a well established practice of getting soldiers from any province that promised good ones. They had already used Greek soldiers in their earlier campaigns inside India. If they indeed decided to use any greek soldiers in separate forms, they would have rather used special ones rather than ones they already had.

I would also like to ask what Indian language you are using, since all of my names seem to be wrong... and I do not doubt that Prometheus researched them well... they are in an old variety of Sanskrit.
    they are in a non existent variety of sanskrit ! what your friend has done is pick up individual words in Sanskrit and put them into a combination that make no sense and in some cases are outright hilarious.
    just being in sanskrit or even classical sanskrit is no guarantee that the terms would be correct, even for terms that have OK meanings like Gaja Rajha (I guess he meant to say Gajraj which means king elephant) you need to keep in mind that sanskrit has a mind blowing number of synonyms for any word, many of which have subtle variations in meanings depending on the context.
    Especially, when we already know the actual names that were used, from Arthashastra, and the rest can be guessed from information given there, we have no excuses at all to invent unrealistic names.

For example, if I were to create a game in which a faction was the US army and I called it US soldiery (which means army) would that be accurate ? It means the same thing of course, but that doesn't make it quite right does it ? it's the same with many of the names.

After a little search, I found the original roster which you are using. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49911

Some of the units here are very good and need no change at all. For example, his light elephant unit(it has no howdah) and the heavy horse chariots(4 horses, you have 2 in your unit) are fantastic and need no change, except may be a little in removing the picture of gods on the chariots.
    do note that his Gandhara soldiers are spearmen, not swordsmen.
    most of the names too make sense. has anyone changed them during your shift from his units to yours ? whoever has done it has done a shoddy job.

from your units, your heavy elephant is really good, as is the light chariot. both need only minor changes and you can skip them without too much of a bother.

only unit that had me ROFLing was the "Brahman Ksatrya" which is a quite ridiculous unit, complete with a perfectly oxymoronic name ! you can completely delete this unit if you want.
    in case you absolutely want a mace berserker unit, I can provide the details but that will probably involve more work than you want. (this unit would be bare bodied and some re-design required in the mace)
    Last edited by Boom S; April 22, 2010 at 12:05 AM.

"only unit that had me ROFLing was the "Brahman Ksatrya" which is a quite ridiculous unit, complete with a perfectly oxymoronic name ! "

You are right on that point. I checked my source on that, and I had mixed up the peoples... it was the Siboi, who "dressed themselves in the skins of wild beasts, and had clubs for their weapons." I will certainly change this...

Thanks for your complements for my changes... I didn't change the names at all, except for the clubman unit, the Uttarapatha swordsman unit (note that he used to be a factional spearman unit, not from Gandhara, and is now from the whole of Northern India, not just Gandhara), the Gandharan cavalry and the Ujjaini swordsman unit.

So, the stuff for me to change, if possible, is to make the archer unit have a longbow (not possible atm), make the chariot have 4 horses (I am aware of that, but am not sure how it is changed), make a light swordsman unit and replace the skirmishers with a light archer unit. Anything else? I can't make major changes to units, due to a lack of modelling ability, and of course time.

Re the Gandharans: I am aware that the area had large Indo-Greek populations, especially after the Baktrians invaded. However, most mods go the way of Indo-Greek hoplites, so I'll stick with that. The swordsman unit stays, as he isn't a Greek. Tbh, he doesn't look Greek to me either.

I am afraid Prometheus isn't around anymore... can you possibly give me a full list of names?

PS: "I repeated some of the points deliberately, seeing that you were having difficulty grasping all of it at one go"

I assure you, it is not needed.

"Problem is, my young friend, you can't expect me to be both short and concise and provide sources in the same breath, those two requests contradict each other. "

Most people manage...

make the chariot have 4 horses (I am aware of that, but am not sure how it is changed)
    Please use quotes. The bold text-regular text combo makes it harder to keep track who`s saying what. About your problem. You just need to use the double horse model that already exists in RG. You`ve used the regular vanilla model with the rg skin that`s why you got only two on the chariot. Those from RG are edited so that each model actually contains 2 horses in it. Hence 4 horses instead of 2 on the chariot. Of course, thy would require their own DMB entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom S View Post
    in case you absolutely want a mace berserker unit, I can provide the details but that will probably involve more work than you want. (this unit would be bare bodied and some re-design required in the mace)
    Iirc from Chakravarti`s book(the art of war in ancient india) maces were indeed used, but I never saw a picture of one. Could you provide an illustration or image of the actual thing?
    Last edited by florin80; April 22, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    Please use quotes. The bold text-regular text combo makes it harder to keep track who`s saying what.
    Sorry, that was just me being lazy

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    About your problem. You just need to use the double horse model that already exists in RG. You`ve used the regular vanilla model with the rg skin that`s why you got only two on the chariot. Those from RG are edited so that each model actually contains 2 horses in it. Hence 4 horses instead of 2 on the chariot. Of course, thy would require their own DMB entry.
    I swear I did... I couldn't find any chariot entries in DMB and am hence a bit confused as to how they work. As far as I could tell, they are defined in descr_mounts, and I copied over the RG entries there and then models and skins to the right place.

Edit: Oh, wait, I just opened descr_mount, and it would appear I didn't copy the RG entry exactly (due to different stat balancing, iirc), and the amount of horses is dictated in there. Now, am I right in the thought (can't remember the source) that the lighter chariots would have four horses and the heavy ones even more (I'll set them at six)?
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; April 22, 2010 at 04:22 PM.

You can`t set the number of horses via the text file. Otherwise nobody would have toiled at making that double horse cas file.

In detail what you need to do is:

in descr_mount make an entry for the double horse:
    Code:
    type				4horse mount
    class				horse
    model				4horse
    radius				1.5
    x_radius			0.59 ;0.5
    height				2.3 ;2.5
    mass				6
    banner_height		0
    bouyancy_offset		1.8
    water_trail_effect	horse_water_trail
    root_node_height	1.6
    rider_offset		0.0, 0.15, 0.0
    then make an entry for the chariot and make sure the horse type specified is the double horse:
    Code:
    type				mauryan heavy chariot					
    class				chariot
    radius				6
    x_radius			1.5
    height				3
    mass				10
    banner_height		0
    bouyancy_offset		0
    water_trail_effect	chariot_water_trail
    axle_width			1.82
    wheel_radius		0.474
    pivot_offset		0, 0.345, 1.244
    pole_length			1.9
    pole_pivot			0, 0, -0.871
    pole_connect		1.63
    harness_connect		1.73
    attack_delay		0.25
    scythe_radius		0.5
    revs_per_attack		1
    horse_type			4horse mount
    horses				2
    horse_offset		-1.0, 2.057
    horse_offset		1.0, 2.057
    riders				3
    rider_offset		0	, 0.15, 0.5
    rider_offset		-0.38, 0.15, -0.05
    rider_offset		0.45	, 0.15, -0.05
    lods				3
    lod					Prome_new_unit_mount_MauryanChariotheavy_high.cas,	50	
    lod					Prome_new_unit_mount_MauryanChariotheavy_high.cas,	125
    lod					Prome_new_unit_mount_MauryanChariotheavy_high.cas,	250
    then give a DMB entry to the double horse:
    Code:
    type				4horse
    skeleton			fs_horse
    scale				0.875
    indiv_range			40
    texture				mauryans, data/models_unit/textures/ResGestae_Prom_mount_Seleucid_cavallocatafrattoduemetu_Seleucid.TGA
    model_flexi			data/models_unit/Prome_new_unit_mount_doublehorse_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi			data/models_unit/Prome_new_unit_mount_doublehorse_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi			data/models_unit/Prome_new_unit_mount_doublehorse_low.cas, 60
    model_flexi			data/models_unit/Prome_new_unit_mount_doublehorse_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite		mauryans, 100.0, data/sprites/mauryans_4horse_sprite.spr
    model_tri			700, 0.3f, 0.3f, 0.3f
    Last edited by florin80; April 22, 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Ah, ok, makes sense. I tried to cut that bit to save DMB spaces, but ah well (I might need some 4-horse chariots - can anyone think of any? The Punic one comes to mind )

I doubt the carthaginians had armoured horses on those 4 horse chariots mentioned in Sicily(iirc) but eh... why not? You actually need those horses for the seleucid and pontic scythed chariots. Prometheus actually made a skin for the mauryans and one for the seleucids. He also has a seleucid scythed chariot. Similar to the rtr one, but smaller and with 4 yokes of course.

So, the stuff for me to change, if possible, is to make the archer unit have a longbow (not possible atm), make the chariot have 4 horses (I am aware of that, but am not sure how it is changed), make a light swordsman unit and replace the skirmishers with a light archer unit. Anything else? I can't make major changes to units, due to a lack of modelling ability, and of course time.

Re the Gandharans: I am aware that the area had large Indo-Greek populations, especially after the Baktrians invaded. However, most mods go the way of Indo-Greek hoplites, so I'll stick with that. The swordsman unit stays, as he isn't a Greek. Tbh, he doesn't look Greek to me either.

I am afraid Prometheus isn't around anymore... can you possibly give me a full list of names?

"Problem is, my young friend, you can't expect me to be both short and concise and provide sources in the same breath, those two requests contradict each other. "

Most people manage...
    for Indian weapons ?! not unless you set really really low standards for what you call good sources !

Prometheus is or was active in a Dune mod I think, you can find it in his last few posts. check the last page of Prometheus skin evolution thread or something. he last logged in here last month, so if you can PM him he might still be able to help you with his older units.

btw, Gandhara had a greek population even before bactrian rule, which happened after the fall of Mauryan empire in the first place. I'm not talking of that. anyway, so you decided to create Gandhara hoplites ? AOR I guess ? good decision !

btw, do you know who made this mod ? http://www.ancient-battles.com/catw/slaves.htm
    the line swordsman unit is quite close to what I'm describing, again, note the shield !
    his medium cavalry unit(atmarakshaka turanga) is quite close to realism but some of the other units are, what may I say, not too good.

what I find is that all the mods have some good units but are completely let down by some downright silly units.
    you have a genuine chance to create the best Maurya faction ever ! best of luck !

I'll put up a post with the unit names as you requested,
    cheers !