View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 8 of 150 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: First Age mod

Yeh I guess so.
    But it just seems a bit stupid that the entire Male Population of Beor was wiped out. Tolkien's almost saying that the male population consisted of 100 men! Yay a might armada!

But anyway, with the settlements, I've finished off West Beleriand, adding some temporary fictional names to some places but I'm heading to bed now, I'll do East tomorrow, and then I'll just need a map of Angband which I can provide myself and I'll have that all done.
    Goodnight all!

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

I don't think the entire population stayed with Barahir, but Tolkien makes it seem that way.

Good night to you.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

not many people would of stayed with barahir because it was said they were slain one by one until he only had 12 companions Beren his son, and Baragund and Belegund his nephews, the sons of Bregolas, and nine faithful servants, Dairuin and Radhruin Dagnir and Ragnor, Gildor and Gorlim the unhappy, Arthad and Urthel, and Hathaldir the young.

I'm changing the faction names. For the modders among you (and to prevent myself from losing this info):

Sindar
    Egypt (High Elves) -> Falathrim
    Mongols (Silvan Elves) -> Laiquendi of Ossiriand
    Russia -> Kingdom of Doriath

Noldor
    Denmark -> House of Fëanor
    Poland -> House of Finarfin
    Portugal -> House of Fingolfin

Edain
    Hungary -> House of Hador (Dor-lómin)
    Scotland (Dale) -> Haladin of Brethil
    Milan (Rohan) -> Men of Estolad

Easterlings
    Spain (Harad) -> People of Bor
    Venice (Rhûn) -> People of Ulfang

Creatures of Morgoth
    HRE (OotMM) -> Sauron
    England (Mordor) -> Morgoth

Dwarves
    Moors (Dwarves) -> Dwarves of the Ered Luin (Blue Mountains)

As you probably noticed, the Pope is not in this. Unless someone comes up with really, really good reasons to keep him, in he will not be.

If I forgot something or you disagree on one of the names, or have a better suggestion, please post.
    Last edited by JorisofHolland; April 12, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

You forgot the Dwarves of Nogrod/Belegost. (one faction)

For the names: I would prefer Folk of Haleth or House of Haleth instead of Haladin of Brethil, and House of Hador instead of Dor-lómin. Also maybe Sons of Fëanor sounds better than House of Fëanor - not sure about that.

Also, why should Sauron be a seperate faction from Morgoth?

And I agree that there shouldn't be any Pope in.

I want Sauron to be seperate because he can be an evil faction on his own. Otherwise, we would have only two evil factions (Morgoth & Ulfang) and because the AI sucks when fighting at multiple fronts, I think it's better to have Sauron seperate from Morgoth. They will be allies, of course.

I'll change Dor-lómin to House of Hador, but I disagree on Sons of Feanor (the mod could go on for ages, so it would have to be called 'sons, grandsons and other descendants of Feanor ). I prefer Haladin of Brethil, but if someone else agrees with you, I'll change it.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    I want Sauron to be seperate because he can be an evil faction on his own. Otherwise, we would have only two evil factions (Morgoth & Ulfang) and because the AI sucks when fighting at multiple fronts, I think it's better to have Sauron seperate from Morgoth. They will be allies, of course.
    Ok, agreed.

I'll change Dor-lómin to House of Hador, but I disagree on Sons of Feanor (the mod could go on for ages, so it would have to be called 'sons, grandsons and other descendants of Feanor ).

I didn't think of it that way. But there's going to be 6 of them, and they wont die that easily. We could do something about elven immortality too - it's more important now that most factions are actually Elves. Also we could have it so that one year is four turns -or even more- so that years pass more slowly.

I think Sons of Fëanor actually sounds more cool, but I like both.

I prefer Haladin of Brethil, but if someone else agrees with you, I'll change it.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    I didn't think of it that way. But there's going to be 6 of them, and they wont die that easily. We could do something about elven immortality too - it's more important now that most factions are actually Elves. Also we could have it so that one year is four turns -or even more- so that years pass more slowly.
    4 turns per year is good enough, otherwise we would have to increase building times, decrease movement, replenishment of units, etc. That's actually the part of DAC I dislike. Except the low availability of units, that's a good thing IMHO.

Elven factions should have low unit availability, to represent the fact they didn't 'reproduce' to quickly. Orcs, on the other hand, should be available in masses. Noldor would have the lowest ammount, I think, because they had the smallest population (I think in Doriath lived more Elves than the Noldor together). I'm not sure about this, perhaps I'm wrong.

BTW: Gigantus will help us!

Edit: any idea how to call an army of House of Hador? Hadorian sounds wrong
    Last edited by JorisofHolland; April 12, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

I agree about 4 turns.

Elven factions should have low unit availability, to represent the fact they didn't 'reproduce' to quickly. Orcs, on the other hand, should be available in masses. Noldor would have the lowest ammount, I think, because they had the smallest population (I think in Doriath lived more Elves than the Noldor together). I'm not sure about this, perhaps I'm wrong.
    Yeah, though I'm not really sure if the Noldor were so few. In the Fifth Battle, for example, Gondolin alone was able to send an army of 10.000 men.

Great!

Edit: about the name, I would choose "Army of the House of Hador"

I think Sons of Fëanor actually sounds more cool, but I like both.
    Sons of Fëanor sounds better IMO too, but both are good .

Thats really great!

I was thinking, about the Sons of Fëanor. If Maedhros is killed, is it possible to script it so that one of the other sons becomes the faction leader? (Maglor, or anyone next in age)

I saw a few weeks ago that someone posted that he found a way of selecting who will be next in line after the king.

Here it is: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257175

Quote Originally Posted by Skeleton Of The West View Post
    I saw a few weeks ago that someone posted that he found a way of selecting who will be next in line after the king.

Here it is: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257175
    Thanks! That's interesting, but I think it only works for sons of the faction leader (and not his brothers).

Ulmo could be pope and call for invasions against Morgroth so that the big battles happen like the battle of un numberd tears and all those i dont have the book with me so i cant remember them

Quote Originally Posted by Eöl View Post
    A long time ago, I made an idea for a first age custom campaign submod for tatw. I called it: The Union of Meadhros (TUOM) and it began just before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. I also made the regions map:

I choose this time set, because there were multiple evil factions and all the elves weren't very united also.
    If you have interest in my ideas, please ask
    hehe it would be better in the beginning of the bragollach, with a crusade or "invasion" in the 4th or 5th turn, (of course the player is not going to be able to stop it hehe)

You forgot the Dwarves of Nogrod/Belegost. (one faction)

For the names: I would prefer Folk of Haleth or House of Haleth instead of Haladin of Brethil, and House of Hador instead of Dor-lómin. Also maybe Sons of Fëanor sounds better than House of Fëanor - not sure about that.

Also, why should Sauron be a seperate faction from Morgoth?

And I agree that there shouldn't be any Pope in.
    I agree with the name as the Sons of Fëanor, but I also agree with Sauron being separated from Morgoth

and probably Glaurung could be a general like the mumakil unit hehe

Thanks! That's interesting, but I think it only works for sons of the faction leader (and not his brothers).
    The first one, we can make faction heir (I don't know who's in the line behind Maedhros). But after that, trouble begins. Probably it will work with a trait "Son of Feanor" that will give them some additional Authority.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Hey guys, sorry for my inactivity lately but school has started again and Year 12 is a big event in my life so I haven't been able to do that much lately but I really don't want to ditch my role here and leave everyone behind, expecting me to do something that I won't do so I've committed myself here and I'd like to say, the settlement names are coming across reasonably well.
    So there is the map as you can see.

Now, I haven't added anything else to the map as I've run out of ideas but PM me if you'd like to see a few more settlements added but heres what I've got.

Edit: I've redone the map a bit, like changing the colouring off the location dots and I've added a few Rebel settlements. To copy the picture here right now I can't be bothered uploading it to photobucket so I'll do it later, but here's a preview of what I've done, basically the capitals of each faction, a few rebel settlements and some of the other cities.

House of Haleth or Halathrim- Capital is Tol Brandir/Amon Obel, other notable settlements are Teiglin, Nen Girith, Amon Rudh and North March.
    House of Fingolfin- Capital is North Mithrim, other notable settlements are South Mithrim, Eithel Sirion, Andrath and the Fort of Fingon.
    House of Finarfin- Capital is Nargothrond, other notable settlements are Nenning, Ginglith, Tumhalad, Gates of Sirion, Nan Tathren, Celegalen (mythical) and Narog.
    Sons of Feanor- Capital is Himring, other settlements are Helevorn, Himlad, Arms-of-Gelion, Amon Ereb, North-west Lothlann and Gelion.
    Dwarves of Ered Luin - Capital is Belegost, the other settlements are Nogrod, Mickleburg, Mount Rerir and Khazul.
    Sauron - Capital is Tol Sirion, other settlements are Rivil's Well, Taur-Nu-Fuin and Fort-of-Anfauglith. this is a new addition for me and I just quickly filled it in there.
    House of Hador - Capital, House of Hurin, other settlements, House of Huor, House of Gundor, Cirith Ninniach, Lomin and Fiefdom of Fingon.
    Doriath - Capital is Menegroth, other settlements are Region, Neldoreth, Dimbar, Aelin-Uial and Nan Elmoth.
    House of Ulfang - Ladros, Aeluin, Dor Dinen, Hills of Lothlann and Rhomen ( the first capital of the Easterlings hahahahahahahahahahaha) otv evil. I haven't filled in locations for Bor but I'm thinking the land south of Andram, including Taur Im Duinath.
    Estolad - Haven't thought of many names but heres what I've got, Capital Estolad, other settlements Ramdal, Andram, Aros and East Fens of Sirion.
    Falas- Capital is Brithombar, other settlements are, Eglarest, Barad Nimras, Cape Balar, Mouths of Sirion, Balar and Taras.
    Ossiriand - Capital is Tol Galen, other settlements are Sarn Athrad, Legolin and Brilthor.
    Morgoth - Capital is of course, Angband, other settlements are Lammoth, Ruins of Utumno, Daedeloth and I'm thinking maybe two more settlements.

Anyway, thats what I've done right now, maps should be up soon. Rebel settlements are Ivrin, Vinyamar, Linaewen, Drengist, Dry River, Dungortheb and Wethrin. Yes, I know, there needs to be at minimum triple that number but I'm still holding back a few other settlements just incase I decide to drop them into a Faction Settlement.

@ Sons of Feanor, Maglor was after Maedhros and then Celegorm after him, followed by Curufin, Caranthir and Amrod. @ Sauron and Morgoth being seperated, thats a good idea as Sauron had a lot of his own agenda's such as taking Tol Sirion and occupying Dorthonion. Sauron can have a front stretching from Eithel Sirion to Halfway across Dorthonion and Morgoth's front can be againt Hithlum and against East Beleriand and Eastern half of Dorthonion.

@ the Noldor being so few, in the Nirnaeth, 45 000 soldiers of Fingon's army were Noldor, including Turgon's army and Maedhros had another 30 000 Noldor under his banner.
    Remember, the nearly the entire race of Noldor came back to Middle Earth and only a tenth stayed with Finarfin. They might've suffered casualties in Crossing Helcaraxe, the Kinslaying and the early battles of Middle Earth but they've had 400 years to recover from that. Even though the Braggolach killed Angrod and Aegnor and the Noldor suffered the destruction of their lands in Eatern Beleriand, they should still be able to field a bigger army than the Sindar, who even though have remained in Beleriand for thousands of years, their people were scattered all over Middle Earth and another part of that race crossed the sea anyway so they would be about the same size as the Noldor.

Hador's House fielded 10 000 men opposed to Brethil's 3000 so keep that in mind that Hador's House was the biggest human faction.

Anyway, good to see this progressing again.

i think the dwarves should be split into Nogrod and Belegost because Nogrod attacked the sindar elves in doriath where as belegost tried to stop them from doing it, and they are both difrent clans of dwarves i think

House of Haleth or Halathrim- Capital is Tol Brandir/Amon Obel, other notable settlements are Teiglin, Nen Girith, Amon Rudh and North March.
    Amon Ruhd was still in controll of the Petty Dwarves.

i think the dwarves should be split into Nogrod and Belegost because Nogrod attacked the sindar elves in doriath where as belegost tried to stop them from doing it, and they are both difrent clans of dwarves i think
    Yeah, but game-play wise the Dwarves are just located to closely upon each other to make them two factions. It will likely follow in the Dwarves attacking each other instead of their common enemy. Of course when this mod decides to add more factions the Dwarves should be split. But if you look at the number of factions we currently have the Dwarves should miss out on a spot.