View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 74 of 150 FirstFirst ... 244964656667686970717273747576777879808182838499124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2996

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: War of the Silmarils - Preview of Gondolin!

Quote Originally Posted by J_Bones View Post
    Will he have any in battle abilities? Specifically paralyzing his enemies?
    Not possible, but he will certainly have a hero ability.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

The Silmarillion is awesome. And somewhat depressing. Does anyone else want to go to Tirion Upon Tuna (can't type accents) just before Feanor and his sons swear their blasted oath, and talk some sense into them? Or, you know, give them a copy of the Silmarillion so that they can see just how much pain their blasted oath causes...

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

@Erunion Telcontar, I'm trying to read your sig, and all I get is "avtaworonozeorinunniiarkison"

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    Glaurung is planned to be a one-man-unit general for Morgoth's faction, using either alreadyded's existing Urulóki model, or a special model that he might make in the future. Either way, he will be badass.
    Ouch on elves and edain then... o.0
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sQELbOflO4&feature=related

Love, perhaps more then the fact that you do produce the mod, the sheer ambition of it

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

@Ellin Athinaios: It's in Quenya, not Sindarin. Vowels come after the consonants they are over top of. Also, no K's, just hard c's (among other differences between written Quenya and written Sindarin)... I did this by hand, and not until I had scanned it in and cleaned it up a bit did I realize that it's really hard to tell where one word ends and the other begins, but it's actually three words.
    Good luck!

EDIT: The Second word begins with the lonely E, and ends between the two n's (a proper doubled n sound would have an underline, this doesn't which should give you the hint these are n's in two different words)
    The words are my first, middle and last name, translated into Quenya (using the meaning of the names, ofc) and then written with the Tengwar.

On Topic: What design are you going for with the Naugrim? Just use the current models + some uniques or are you going to completely redo them?
    Last edited by Erunion Telcontar; March 02, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Hmm. Ok, this is what I read then: Vatwaronosso Erunion Níracsion... closer? I've no idea what the first name is. Erunion I assume means "Son of the One", and for the third all I know is that níra means 'worthiness'.

Quote Originally Posted by Erunion Telcontar View Post
    On Topic: What design are you going for with the Naugrim? Just use the current models + some uniques or are you going to completely redo them?
    We will definitely use some of the current models, especially the masked ones. And we'll also make new ones - again especially masked ones.

Vatwaronosso Erunion Níracsion - Very, very close.

Latinized, it should actually be written (and pronounced)
    Vatauronosso Erunion Níracasion

Erunion is Son of, or possibly, given by, Eru, AKA The One gives, or gave, or possibly Son of The One. All are valid translations. Jonathan is the anglicized version of a Hebrew name, which means YHWH gives [us] (or 'gave' [us])

The first name is probably the iffiest to translate, as I had to do it myself. Still, it's doable. (It just won't appear on any lists anywhere). Your on the right track for the last name, although I'd look into different meanings of níra. "Worthiness" is close, but it's something slightly different.

So far you've definitely earned yourself a rep. +

I haven't decided how to make Glaurung look yet. I am still trying to make Shelob and Ungoliant look "terrifying." I may make him off of the Uruloki model, though a little more serpent like. Except with a lot more detail seeing as he is a one man unit.
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 02, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Try to make him look intelligent. An evil creature is scary. An intelligent evil creature is terrifying.

How exactly do you make someone, or more specifically a drake, 'look' intelligent? By giving him glasses?

That's the hard part. Intelligence, or at least the look of intelligence, is in the eyes. So focus on the eyes. Make the eyes look alive, (similar to the one in your signature), and the creature will look less like a generic monster that you (or, more specifically, your troops) have to kill, and more like a real threat and menace.
    I've lived my entire life in the same house as a portrait artist and she'll tell you this - the eyes are the single most important part of an image. No matter how good the picture is, if the eyes don't look alive, or real, then the picture will simply not look good.

Good luck though, I haven't the foggiest idea how to make a drake's eyes in a video game look real.

All of the creatures eyes are detailed and look alive... so Glaurung will, of course, get the same treatment. The eyes aren't the important part, the overall shape and look of the model is. Not to mention the fact that I have to animate and put it in the game, so I always have to take that into consideration.
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 03, 2011 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erunion Telcontar View Post
    So far you've definitely earned yourself a rep. +
    Vatauronosso... does it contain the negative - and taurë, which is 'forest'?

I've always had a thing with words and names and their meanings and origins. Even took courses on Linguistics and Epigraphics at the university.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    I haven't decided how to make Glaurung look yet. I am still trying to make Shelob and Ungoliant look "terrifying." I may make him off of the Uruloki model, though a little more serpent like. Except with a lot more detail seeing as he is a one man unit.
    Sounds great to me! You could make him off of the Uruloki model, golden in colour, maybe with a longer body and tail (which could be turned on his back, so it wouldn't take much space).

About Shelob, I think she is described as having spikes on her body and a belly glowing green or something. You could add spikes on her head too. As for Ungoliant, she could be utterly black and massive, with twisted legs and bigger spikes and stuff of that sort. There are some nice artworks for both.

Vatauronosso... does it contain the negative - and taurë, which is 'forest'?
    heaven's sake, just move the conversation to the tolkien general discussion thread or your profile pages...

Lore-nazis
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    just kidding, continue posting so we can piss off joris

Sounds great to me! You could make him off of the Uruloki model, golden in colour, maybe with a longer body and tail (which could be turned on his back, so it wouldn't take much space).

About Shelob, I think she is described as having spikes on her body and a belly glowing green or something. You could add spikes on her head too. As for Ungoliant, she could be utterly black and massive, with twisted legs and bigger spikes and stuff of that sort. There are some nice artworks for both.
    All of the creatures eyes are detailed and look alive... so Glaurung will, of course, get the same treatment. The eyes aren't the important part, the overall shape and look of the model is. Not to mention the fact that I have to animate and put it in the game, so I always have to take that into consideration.
    wasn't glaurung black? i think you will have trouble animating him, but since i saw your spiders, i have complete faith in you

the eyes have some importance IMO, if you give him a couple of more "human" eyes, spooky and evil, he will propably look cunning. without the eyes however even the finest model will look like a beast...
    Last edited by glassakias; March 03, 2011 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glassakias View Post
    wasn't glaurung black?
    I'm pretty sure he was golden, I'll look for a description in the books too. Ancalagon was black.

P.S. The very name Glaurung means "golden cloud/gloom/shadow".

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by glassakias View Post
    heaven's sake, just move the conversation to the tolkien general discussion thread or your profile pages...

Lore-nazis
    just kidding, continue posting so we can piss off joris
    Not pissed off yet. Why did you think I would be? I just adviced someone to post in a thread which would get him more responses.

wasn't glaurung black? i think you will have trouble animating him, but since i saw your spiders, i have complete faith in you

the eyes have some importance IMO, if you give him a couple of more "human" eyes, spooky and evil, he will propably look cunning. without the eyes however even the finest model will look like a beast...
    Just have faith and let the modder do the modding. You know he'll do well, so let him do it his way.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Anyhow, I have faith in your works Alreadyded.
    For Glaurong, give him a metallic golden texture down his back, blood-red sides and a pitch black stomach. For the model, well, you're the expert!

@Ellin Athinaios - You're on the right track, the taur is indeed from taurë. The Va- beginning, however, is not a negative. It's a preposition. (Without Va, the name wouldn't work as a name - it would be something else)

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

One of the main characteristics in the books of Glaurung is his eyes.
    Also, I would agree that if you get cunnig eyes, you'll get the feeling this guy is intelligent even if the rest of him look like an overbreed evil leopard gecko! Personally I like John Howes version of G but the eyes are IMHO to small..

About eyes then...
    Cat eyes could be a good inspiration;

haha, an example of just a leopard gecko, who DO look evil ^^

If you do not want to make big, profound eyes then make them lie quite deep in the skin as with these monitor lizards, because you gain some kind of cunnig and thoughtfull-like look then to

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

We can worry about skinning the eyes after the model is done. I don't like John Howe's version of anything, he never seems to pay attention to the actual descriptions. Gluarung was golden, and I am guessing he was rather serpent like. Four legged, but with a sort of long neck, body, and tail. He is the father of all dragons so I guess it is logical that he would look a bit like all of them (serpent, four legged, fire, and flying drakes). I'm sure I will come up with something good, and if you don't like it there is always the Uruloki (which is my interpretation of lesser Gluarung when he was young).
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 03, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

I'm sure I will come up with something good, and if you don't like it there is always the Uruloki (which is my interpretation of lesser Gluarung when he was young).
    Do your magic, I'm sure we'll love it.