View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 72 of 150 FirstFirst ... 224762636465666768697071727374757677787980818297122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2996

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: War of the Silmarils - Preview of Gondolin!

Also, a guy who can challange Morgoth himself wold be kind of too imba

Got to ask, what is the crew's thoughts about the Belt of Melian...?

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Got to ask, what is the crew's thoughts about the Belt of Melian...?
    heh, i distinguish great mentalist capability here , we have been discussing this very subject lately.

most propably there will be a movement penalty for enemy armies that invade doriath and also some forts with garisson scripts in all entraces to the woods (that will be few anyway) and maybe within the forest. we are open to ideas though.

btw, it's the girdle of melian, i made a similar translating mistake a while ago

Quote Originally Posted by glassakias View Post
    we are open to ideas though.
    Melian says that "none thereafter could pass against her will or the will of King Thingol, unless one should come with a power greater than that of Melian the Maia"

Perhaps Morgoth could have made an object that surpassed the power of Melian the Maia and he gives it to certain generals which would allow them to enter Doriath i.e add Morgoth's object as a retinue for the general.
    Hail the victorious dead!

heh, i distinguish great mentalist capability here , we have been discussing this very subject lately.

most propably there will be a movement penalty for enemy armies that invade doriath and also some forts with garisson scripts in all entraces to the woods (that will be few anyway) and maybe within the forest. we are open to ideas though.

btw, it's the girdle of melian, i made a similar translating mistake a while ago

Hmm, it could be portraited as the ring wall around Minas Tirith? With a few fortresses as the enterence to Doriath in this wall/girdle?
    Would give you an obvious hinder and that can't be crossed (though guess it would need som skinning to look more invisible and magic)...
    Just a thought!

Oh really+ Nice! Have seen it written as "belt" and was quite dissapointed since it in swedish it's called "Melians gördel", an old word wich is pronounced almost exactly like "girdle".

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by J_Bones View Post
    Melian says that "none thereafter could pass against her will or the will of King Thingol, unless one should come with a power greater than that of Melian the Maia"

Perhaps Morgoth could have made an object that surpassed the power of Melian the Maia and he gives it to certain generals which would allow them to enter Doriath i.e add Morgoth's object as a retinue for the general.
    Sorry but I disagree with this idea. Yes, Morgoth was mightier than Melian but if he were to do something like this it would be very similar to the One Ring of Sauron. Yes, the ring was made powerful but at the cost of weakening the maker. If Morgoth was to make 1 of these items to overpower the Girdle I believe it would significantly weaken him let alone multiples. Additionally, I find it doubtful that he would give it to anyone except possibly the likes of Gothmog, Glaurung, or MAYBE Sauron. Most of the others wouldn't be trusted enough and even Glaurung and Sauron seemed to have their own agendas at times. That's just my thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bregil View Post
    Sorry but I disagree with this idea. Yes, Morgoth was mightier than Melian but if he were to do something like this it would be very similar to the One Ring of Sauron. Yes, the ring was made powerful but at the cost of weakening the maker. If Morgoth was to make 1 of these items to overpower the Girdle I believe it would significantly weaken him let alone multiples. Additionally, I find it doubtful that he would give it to anyone except possibly the likes of Gothmog, Glaurung, or MAYBE Sauron. Most of the others wouldn't be trusted enough and even Glaurung and Sauron seemed to have their own agendas at times. That's just my thoughts though.
    I totally agree with you on that aspect! and I understand that what i suggested is totally against lore but it was just an idea....one that might be more elegant than having a fence or scripted forts ect. But i do see where you are coming from, i get quite upset myself when something is blatantly outside of the lore haha
    Hail the victorious dead!

WelshDragon's Avatar Miles

Would an easy, workable solution be to limit the entry points into Doriath? This would make it much easier to defend a couple of northern choke points, and would reqire no coding sorcery.
    Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true. - Julius Ceasar

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

The movement penalty is quite easy to code, and so are forts (I have to see for the garrison scripts, though). No sorcery required, thus.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

most propably there will be a movement penalty for enemy armies that invade doriath
    Yo can reduce movement point's for just some other factions in certain areas, or all other factions in cetrain areas?

Jump between topic's; do you work on the factions one by one or mixed? The doriath soldier was great, but I assume this do not mean gondolin is finshed (preliminary)?

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Jump between topic's; do you work on the factions one by one or mixed? The doriath soldier was great, but I assume this do not mean gondolin is finshed (preliminary)?
    Mixed, sort of. No, Gondolin is not finished. Glassakias is doing Doriath, Squeaks will be doing all the Noldor factions, whenever she has time again (busy with DaC and life)

Yo can reduce movement point's for just some other factions in certain areas, or all other factions in cetrain areas?
    Both.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

WelshDragon's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    The movement penalty is quite easy to code, and so are forts (I have to see for the garrison scripts, though). No sorcery required, thus.
    Great ideas and good to hear
    Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true. - Julius Ceasar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    (busy with DaC and life)
    Oh, she got life? Then you CAN kill her ;P

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    Both.
    If you go with that idea then all but Nargothrond should be given different levels of reduced movement?
    Since they was of Finarfins house and Finrod was friend of Doriath, wich could not been said about all of the other houses of noldor..

They were blood-relatives (through Eärwen, daughter of Olwë) and that was the only reason they were allowed to enter Doriath after the banning of Quenya by Thingol. But the effect on movement will be applied to all but allies, instead of just certain factions.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

And... Earl of memory is doing the Falathrim (reskined some Doriath units, not models... that's not my area)
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    And... Earl of memory is doing the Falathrim
    Gooo Cirdan!
    Will you get Gil-galad then to btw?

Will you get Gil-galad then to btw?
    Yes, but Gil-galad will be with the House of Fingolfin, for gameplay reasons (Fingon must have an heir)

(P.S. Gil-galad should actually be with the House of Finarfin, but we'll follow Silmarillion in this one, for the reason mentioned above)

Yes, but Gil-galad will be with the House of Fingolfin, for gameplay reasons (Fingon must have an heir)

(P.S. Gil-galad should actually be with the House of Finarfin, but we'll follow Silmarillion in this one, for the reason mentioned above)
    Resonable trade of. Though how will it go with Falathrim and Cirdan?
    Will you give him a family of his own or will you make him a general not in the family tree?
    Could he still be factions leader if he's not a part of the tree (assume not but interesting question)?

Resonable trade of. Though how will it go with Falathrim and Cirdan?
    Will you give him a family of his own or will you make him a general not in the family tree?
    Could he still be factions leader if you so (assume not but interesting question)?
    The Falathrim will have a teutonic tree, and Cirdan will be the faction leader of course.

The Falathrim will have a teutonic tree, and Cirdan will be the faction leader of course.
    Ooh, Boo thinks you're a smart one!