View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 7 of 150 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: First Age mod

Nice map, Ellin.
    What I'm gonna do is mark the places on the map and create a reference beside them. Its gonna be a draft with all my creations first but you, Beorn and I guess anyone is free to make suggestions to improve it.
    I'll get to work on it as soon as possible but I'm having some fun on M2TW holding back the Timurids from Europe otvevil

So what factions do we have?
    Falas
    Finarfin
    Feanor
    Fingolfin
    Doriath
    Ossiriand
    Dwarves
    Haleth
    Hador
    Easterlings
    Angband
    Estoland?

Anyway. Heres what I've done with the map so far.

Sorry about my poor paint skills but here is what I've done so far.
    This is as big as I could get it.
    I just whipped it up in about 10 minutes, but I'm gonna constantly keep updating at as more suggestions poor in.

Pale Orange = Falas
    Pale Purple = Finarfin
    Dark Blue = Men of Hador
    Light Blue = Estolad
    Red = Fingolfin
    Black = Parts of Angband
    Sewege Green = Men of Haleth
    Dark Green = Doriath
    Pale Green = Ossiriand
    Brown = Easterlings (Note: Easterling settlement near the tip of Ered Luin/Blue Mountains)
    Grey = Sons of Feanor
    Orange = Dwarves

The dots you see on the map are settlements/castles/cities etc... a lot of them are mythical but a lot of them are also real places in Middle Earth. I'm not going to name them as its not my decision if they get kept or removed/relocated.
    Open for suggestions, corrections etc!

Edit: Some of the dots are hard to see so later I'll change all the dots to black but they will still be within the coloured region.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Pretty much, that's the faction placing.
    A note: After Dagor Bragolach the People of Beor were scattered in Hithlum. They weren't a faction on their own.

The Dots can be improved though

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Nicely done. I guess the map should go a bit further north, to include all of Angband.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrock View Post
    A note: After Dagor Bragolach the People of Beor were scattered in Hithlum. They weren't a faction on their own.
    Yeah, and there wont be such a faction. Maybe some units will be available though as mercenaries to the good factions.

By the way will there be one or two factions for the Easterlings? (Houses of Ulfang and Bor)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    Nicely done. I guess the map should go a bit further north, to include all of Angband.

Yeah, and there wont be such a faction. Maybe some units will be available though as mercenaries to the good factions.

By the way will there be one or two factions for the Easterlings? (Houses of Ulfang and Bor)
    2 would be teh best, with Bor good and Ulfang evil

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Pretty much, that's the faction placing.

The Dots can be improved though
    Uhm, the people of Beor never ever settled in Hithlum in the first place, what you mean is Dorthonion

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Uhm, the people of Beor never ever settled in Hithlum in the first place, what you mean is Dorthonion
    After the Dagor Bragollach, the female and the children of the house of Beor took refugee in Hithlum that's what I meant

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

After the Dagor Bragollach, the female and the children of the house of Beor took refugee in Hithlum that's what I meant
    Aha granted but not all, some.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

i got concepts for feanorian troops if u guys want some

Still the Beorian mercenaries should only be in Dorthonion, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gittany View Post
    i got concepts for feanorian troops if u guys want some
    Sure.

uhh how do i like give them 2 u on website thingy (im not to smart)

u upload them into a hostin site like www.imageshack.us and after that copy the link and paste it here

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

I'm sorry for my lack of activity yesterday, some evil virus caught me off guard.

@Valandur: Thanks for the map (+ rep!). I think it would be better if you add settlement names, because that'll make it easier to discus them.

On the ents and the Laiquendi: ents should be AoR, I think, only available in Ossiriand and only for the Laiquendi. The bow/spears/javelins thing sounds good. The Laiquendi would be excellent marksmen and good hiding skills.

Sons of Feänor: I was thinking of the 'two Feänor' thing. Since he would be dead, it wouldn't give much trouble. It would just look bad.

Mercenary Beorians: I don't think so. In 458 Barahir died, and so did the others with him, except for Beren. So, in 462 none would be alive. Mercenaries would make no sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I think that's everything discussed in my absence, but I might have missed something. Please tell me if I did.

Edit: gittany: nice drawings.
    Last edited by JorisofHolland; April 09, 2010 at 06:08 AM.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    Sons of Feänor: I was thinking of the 'two Feänor' thing. Since he would be dead, it wouldn't give much trouble. It would just look bad.
    I don't really like the two Fëanors thing, it would ruin the immersion for me. I was more thinking of having the 4 most important sons listed as sons, and the remaining two present as generals (and with appropriate traits and biographies that say who they are), but not in the family tree.

Unless someone can think of a way to break the 4-child limit.

Mercenary Beorians: I don't think so. In 458 Barahir died, and so did the others with him, except for Beren. So, in 462 none would be alive. Mercenaries would make no sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
    That's correct, but were there no others of his people scattered?

Edit: 666th post.

Yes sir! I'll start getting the settlement names right away!
    With the People of Beor, after the Dagor Braggolach, all the remaining People of Beor fled Dorthonion, including the Males that still lived. Barahir's band was made up of 13 men including himself, 2 were his cousins, one was his son and the rest were his loyalist friends, not the last surviving men of that house, simply those who did not want to forsake their home. So Beor mercenaries could be possible, but they wouldn't be too numerous.
    Last edited by Valandur; April 09, 2010 at 06:44 AM.

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    I don't really like the two Fëanors thing, it would ruin the immersion for me. I was more thinking of having the 4 most important sons listed as sons, and the remaining two present as generals (and with appropriate traits and biographies that say who they are), but not in the family tree.
    When everything else fails, perhaps. I must admit I don't like the 2-Feänor stuff either, but it seems the best of two evils.
    Unless someone can think of a way to break the 4-child limit.
    Perhaps it can be done just like the age limmit? I'll ask around, but I'm not very hopefull.
    Edit: 666th post.
    Carefully ignored :
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandur View Post
    Yes sir! I'll start getting the settlement names right away!
    With the People of Beor, after the Dagor Braggolach, all the remaining People of Beor fled Dorthonion, including the Males that still lived. Barahir's band was made up of 13 men including himself, 2 were his cousins, one was his son and the rest were his loyalist friends, not the last surviving men of that house, simply those who did not want to forsake their home. So Beor mercenaries could be possible, but they wouldn't be too numerous.
    Wasn't his band made up of many, many men, and in the end only twelf of them remained? I think it was said that way, but I'm not sure.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Wasn't his band made up of many, many men, and in the end only twelf of them remained? I think it was said that way, but I'm not sure.
    In my version it says that Morgoth killed all the people till only those 12 remained.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos_I. View Post
    In my version it says that Morgoth killed all the people till only those 12 remained.
    Yeah, that seems to be the case.

In chapter 18:
    "In that time also the outlaws of Dorthonion were destroyed, as is told hereafter; and Beren son of Barahir alone escaping came hardly into Doriath."

and in chapter 19:
    "It has been told that Barahir would not forsake Dorthonion, and there Morgoth pursued him to the death, until at last there remained to him only twelve companions."

So I guess there wont be any mercenaries.

Perhaps it can be done just like the age limmit? I'll ask around, but I'm not very hopefull.
    I had tried to change the child-limit in the descr_campaign_db, but it doesn't work. Maybe there is another way?
    Last edited by Ellin Athinaios; April 09, 2010 at 09:06 AM.