View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Default Re: First Age mod

This is the Russian mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=322725

Tales of Arda is a dead mod for Alexander. The mod you are talking about is Arda Total War, but that one is for the second age I believe: http://lotr-tw.net/viewforum.php?f=24

Nirnaeth Arnoediad's Avatar Vive l'Empereur !

I'll also tried to find our old threads, if the moderatos of our old dev site could find them.

Concerning the date, we had chosed, according to books and logic, the time just before the battle of the fire (at the end of the peace of Beleriand).

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by IHV View Post
    Whats wrong with the russians view on Tolkiens world? I mean how do they see it then?
    I would like to know that too. I haven't read through their entire preview, but what they have done seems good.

Using vanilla TA units is a good start but apart from Dale and Wild men of Dunlending (FROME) i cant really see anyone else fitting in the First Age, well every faction ofcourse have some units that do.
    Most elven units could be used as well, I think.

I think everyone gets different imagination when they read a book but in my mind the soldiers wernt very heavily armored (tho i got an idea that Elves from Gondolin had some nasty epic armors and weapons and Dwarves ofcourse but the followers (men) seemed like using leather or mail to me.
    I think most Noldor and the Dwarfes (of course) were heavily armoured, the Sindar had good armour too but not as good. Men would be using leather, probably.

Im hoping someone will make First Age mod for ETW or Napoleon due to their nice features that would give a lot more options to make a more fitting mod but as far as ive heard they havent even released mod tools for these 2 or something.
    I don't know what features you're talking about, but since there are no modding tools it doesn't really matter.

Good luck anyway, dont really see how i could help, even if i wanted to, unless you want some signature made
    Perhaps, if we get started.

PS: Some time before Nirnaeth Arnoediad is perfect time to start rewriting the history of Beleriand, if you want my opinion, ive actually thought about it where would this mod start if i would make it, and thats probably the best time, many Elves were wiped off in that battle along with most men so starting after that battle would be bit harsh.
    After was not an option. I was thinking of earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphir of Dol Amroth View Post
    This is the Russian mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=322725

Tales of Arda is a dead mod for Alexander. The mod you are talking about is Arda Total War, but that one is for the second age I believe: http://lotr-tw.net/viewforum.php?f=24
    Arda is a mod for LOTR-TW, which is a mod for Alexander IIRC. I will take a closer look at the Russian stuff.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Quixotry's Avatar Foederatus

This sounds like a great idea. I have no modding experience, but if I get time I'd love to help out with unit descriptions and other text-based stuff.

I checked the russians mod and by the looks of it its going to be quite great, i hope they translate it to english tho
    And i still couldnt see whats the fuss about of their view on the Beleriand.
    Some armor looked too colorfull, especialyl the green/red armored untis who were hiding, i dont think any unit can hide in the field unless they are armored accordingly .

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by IHV View Post
    And i still couldnt see whats the fuss about of their view on the Beleriand.
    Some armor looked too colorfull, especialyl the green/red armored untis who were hiding, i dont think any unit can hide in the field unless they are armored accordingly .
    It's exactly that colourful, almost cartoonish style that I don't really agree with. Otherwise I think it's a great mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    It's exactly that colourful, almost cartoonish style that I don't really agree with. Otherwise I think it's a great mod.
    It's also the inclusion of Aman that disturbes me.

They included Aman? That certainly sucks a lot. But if we reskin, most of their units can be used? If they allow another mod to use their models, of course.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

So you will just do a submod for this mod ?

At first, yes. That's just because a small mod has a better change of being finished. But later on things may change, of course. If there are enough people who help it can grow much bigger.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

i'm really getting a bit of a vibe like part copy of russian mod, part copy tatw & in the future some unique stuff.. not to be a critic.. but how do you want to really make the game different?

The map played on will be completly different. I have a few features in mind that will make the game a lot different, too. Also, TATW uses a few Ruschi units. They aren't unique either?
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

ow ok just curious.. maybe the small projects modders can help you maybe.. i can easily script historic events and make them we can also do other detailed stuff when the mod has a basic version.. if your interested off course

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

Don't use any stuff from the russians even if they give permission. If this works out, then it will be a custom campaign for tatw, so it should based on tatw. Giving them the shiny russias units would give it a totally different feeling. Also having tatw units next to units from the russians would be kind of weird.

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Eöl View Post
    Don't use any stuff from the russians even if they give permission. If this works out, then it will be a custom campaign for tatw, so it should based on tatw. Giving them the shiny russias units would give it a totally different feeling. Also having tatw units next to units from the russians would be kind of weird.
    I agree. Although perhaps if those models were reskinned they could look more like TATW units, and thus fit better in the mod.

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    I agree. Although perhaps if those models were reskinned they could look more like TATW units, and thus fit better in the mod.
    If you are only using the models, it is better to make them intirely ourselves. Skinning is the most important part imo.

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

I'm working a lot in many mods this last days, so Ii'll sadly be taken during about 1 month. But if this kind of project grows up (I doubt because 2 mods about a very unknown period of the tolkien world is definitely too much specialized, for a very few players compared to TATW) I would be very happy to help you and give you all the work my team had done during the last 2 years ; by this way I will have the feeling all this work have not been done for nothing.

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

I haven't really read through the thread but have you already thought of Factions and Regions yet? Because I can help with the Lore but other than that I'm totally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eöl View Post
    If you are only using the models, it is better to make them intirely ourselves. Skinning is the most important part imo.
    sirvinniei offered his help for skinning. I also had more in mind than just a custom campaign for TATW. All the new factions would make mod foldered a better options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirnaeth Arnoediad View Post
    I'm working a lot in many mods this last days, so Ii'll sadly be taken during about 1 month. But if this kind of project grows up (I doubt because 2 mods about a very unknown period of the tolkien world is definitely too much specialized, for a very few players compared to TATW) I would be very happy to help you and give you all the work my team had done during the last 2 years ; by this way I will have the feeling all this work have not been done for nothing.
    That would be great. How much progress did you make?
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandur View Post
    I haven't really read through the thread but have you already thought of Factions and Regions yet? Because I can help with the Lore but other than that I'm totally useless.
    Lore also has to be done. I'm doing the different factions by myself (I'm nearly done with the research, I'll post my ideas soon) but the map is a lot different. I don't have much resources at hand, though I've found a few good maps on the internet. If you could think of how many people lived in several settlements? I know Tolkien hardly mentions such details, but it is important stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by patrician1 View Post
    ow ok just curious.. maybe the small projects modders can help you maybe.. i can easily script historic events and make them we can also do other detailed stuff when the mod has a basic version.. if your interested off course
    Not yet, but thanks for offering.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

how are you going to do things like the zone of melian or elven immortality?
    i mean, there are some engine limitations.
    god, i wish i was a modder so i could help with this. i am already waiting it with anticipation