View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 10 of 150 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: First Age mod

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    I've posted a roster for the House of Hador, enough cavalry and heavy units?
    Maybe the Woodsmen should be moved to the first tier and the Breeland Militia to the second tier (I think the militia look better armoured). The same for Woodland Hunters and Archer Militia..

And I don't agree with Merchant Militias, they have plate and I wouldn't imagine the Edain with more than chainmail... Maybe we should chose another sword-unit instead (I suggest the Dale Swordsmen).

The cavalry is great.

Requires a new trait/ancillary, but it can be done easily.
    No it doesn't, you just write the faction_leader_name in the expanded.txt like this: %S, Lord of the House of Fëanor

The %S means that the title goes after the name. This could be used for any title, like %S, High King of the Noldor, or %S, King under the Mountain (did they have that title in the first age?)

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    Maybe the Woodsmen should be moved to the first tier and the Breeland Militia to the second tier (I think the militia look better armoured). The same for Woodland Hunters and Archer Militia..

And I don't agree with Merchant Militias, they have plate and I wouldn't imagine the Edain with more than chainmail... Maybe we should chose another sword-unit instead (I suggest the Dale Swordsmen).

The cavalry is great.
    Perhaps we can add a Dunlad unit instead, from FRoMe. Perhaps I should add another heavy cavalry unit. If we make the Dunedain the 'charge' cavalry and add another prolonged combat unit, the House of Hador will rely more on it's cavalry.

No it doesn't, you just write the faction_leader_name in the expanded.txt like this: %S, Lord of the House of Fëanor

The %S means that the title goes after the name. This could be used for any title, like %S, High King of the Noldor, or %S, King under the Mountain (did they have that title in the first age?)
    i wasn't aware of the %S thing. Good I know it now!

The title King under the Mountain might have excisted (I don't know much of Erebor's history) but it's completly irrelevant. Only the uttermost western part of Eriador is on the map, so the Lonely Mountain will not be there. Nor will Durin's clan be.
    Last edited by JorisofHolland; April 15, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Perhaps we can add a Dunlad unit instead, from FRoMe
    In that case that would be the Noble Swordsmen.

Edit: I don't think there should be more cavalry units. More infantry would be better, I think, but the roster looks ok now (with the Dunland unit added)..

The title King under the Mountain might have excisted (I don't know much of Erebor's history) but it's completly irrelevant. Only the uttermost western part of Eriador is on the map, so the Lonely Mountain will not be there. Nor will Durin's clan be.
    Yes I know that, just wondering if the Dwarves of Belegost would also use this title (their king was under a mountain too )
    Last edited by Ellin Athinaios; April 15, 2010 at 08:30 AM.

In that case that would be the Noble Swordsmen. Edit: I don't think there should be more cavalry units. More infantry would be better, I think, but the roster looks ok now (with the Dunland unit added)..
    I've added Dale Swordsmen and Dale Swordsmasters (last on 4th tier). Also switched Archer Militia and Woodland Hunters.

Yes I know that, just wondering if the Dwarves of Belegost would also use this title (their king was under a mountain too )
    Technically, every King who lived below the top of a mountain could claim that title.

I'll think the Dunlad units would fit better for the Haladin, because they look a bit more 'wild', less civilized.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

I've added Dale Swordsmen and Dale Swordsmasters (last on 4th tier). Also switched Archer Militia and Woodland Hunters.
    Seems perfect. Maybe you should switch the Woodsmen-Breeland Militia too though, for the same reason.

Technically, every King who lived below the top of a mountain could claim that title.
    That's my point.

I'll think the Dunlad units would fit better for the Haladin, because they look a bit more 'wild', less civilized.
    I agree. Dunland units, and maybe some of those I suggested before from Dale.

Of course, I was thinking of 'Lord of the House of Fëanor' (it will go after the name).
    what about High Prince, Grand Prince or Elder Prince? that could be an option because they were princes of the Noldor.
    Last edited by melkor400; April 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Civis

hi guys...i just want you to ask if you ever have some news or previews from that russian submod about first age pls post here a link like you did it before about their gondolin
    thx
    Gandalf: Go back to the abyss! Fall into nothingness that awaits you and your master!
    Witch King: Do you not know death when you see it, old man? This is my hour!

PROUD TO BE

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Chieftan of Estolad (Estolad)
    Chieftan of the Dwarves - He never used the Title King for the Blue Mountain Dwarves but used Chieftan quite a lot. (Dwarves)
    Lord of Dor-Lomin (Lord of the House of Hador)
    Warden of Brethil (Haladin)
    King of the Noldor (House of Fingfolfin)
    King of Nargothrond (House of Finarfin)
    Prince of the Noldor (Sons of Feanor)
    High King of Angband (Morgoth)
    Lieutenant of Angband (Sauron)
    Lord of Ossiriand (Ossiriand)
    King of the Sindar (Doriath)
    Shipwarden of Falas (Falas)
    Chieftan of Bor (House of Bor)
    Chieftan of Uldor (House of Uldor)

Some titles I came up with for the leader of each faction ^^

I disagree...

Chieftain of Estolad (Estolad)
    King of Belegost, or Lord of Belegost (as Azaghâl is called in the Silmarillion) (Dwarves)
    Lord of Dor-lómin (as called in the Silmarillion) (House of Hador)
    Lord of Brethil (as called in the Silmarillion) (Haladin)
    High King of the Noldor (as called in the Silmarillion) (House of Fingfolfin)
    King of Nargothrond (as called in the Silmarillion) (House of Finarfin)
    Prince/Lord of the House of Fëanor (Sons of Feanor)
    The Dark Lord (obviously) (Morgoth)
    Lieutenant of Morgoth (Sauron)
    Leader/Lord of the Laiquendi/Green Elves of Ossiriand (Ossiriand)
    King of Doriath (as called in the Silmarillion) (Doriath)
    Lord of the Falas (Falas)
    Chieftain of the People of Bór (House of Bor)
    Chieftain of the People of Ulfang (not Uldor) (House of Ulfang)
    Last edited by Ellin Athinaios; April 16, 2010 at 04:14 AM.

[QUOTE=JorisofHolland;7147934]I think we can use the vanilla TATW units for the two Edain factions. Perhaps you can do the Noldor? We don't have any units for them, except the TATW High Elf units. But those are not enough to give three different factions a different 'feeling'.

k ill post all the ones i got for high elves when i finish them

ps. don't use vanilla tatw high elf units they wont fit in with the first age well atleast thats what i think

how do quote?
    Last edited by fd7s; April 16, 2010 at 04:33 AM.

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh why did I put High King of Angband when The Dark Lord is the obvious answer and is right in front of me.

I was just trying to spice the names up a bit and with the Uldor/Ulfang/Ulwarth thing, I get mixed up a lot

Quote Originally Posted by gittany View Post
    k ill post all the ones i got for high elves when i finish them
    Good!

ps. don't use vanilla tatw high elf units they wont fit in with the first age well atleast thats what i think
    They're only for the first release(s).

how do quote?
    Place {QUOTE} in front and {/QUOTE} behind your quoted text. Replace { with [ and } with ]

I disagree...

Chieftain of Estolad (Estolad)
    King of Belegost, or Lord of Belegost (as Azaghâl is called in the Silmarillion) (Dwarves)
    Lord of Dor-lómin (as called in the Silmarillion) (House of Hador)
    Lord of Brethil (as called in the Silmarillion) (Haladin)
    High King of the Noldor (as called in the Silmarillion) (House of Fingfolfin)
    King of Nargothrond (as called in the Silmarillion) (House of Finarfin)
    Prince/Lord of the House of Fëanor (Sons of Feanor)
    The Dark Lord (obviously) (Morgoth)
    Lieutenant of Morgoth (Sauron)
    Leader/Lord of the Laiquendi/Green Elves of Ossiriand (Ossiriand)
    King of Doriath (as called in the Silmarillion) (Doriath)
    Lord of the Falas (Falas)
    Chieftain of the People of Bór (House of Bor)
    Chieftain of the People of Ulfang (not Uldor) (House of Ulfang)
    I will go with these for now, unless anyone has another suggestion?

BTW: Haladin roster (WIP) is up. Any comments? I think they need another axe/spear unit, but I'm not sure.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

BTW: Haladin roster (WIP) is up. Any comments? I think they need another axe/spear unit, but I'm not sure.
    For an axe unit, we can use the Beornings. I think they fit well. And I also suggest the Noble Swordsmen from Dunland, as possible heavy infantry.

I'm not really sure about the Dunland Spearmen though, their shields with the crow are very "Dunland-ish"..

About the Noldor, I think the vanilla high elves are perfect (for now)... Don't forget that the three Noldor factions were all the same people (only 1/10 of them stayed back in Valinor), who came to Beleriand armed and armoured in the same fashion. Their banners will be different of course, and we could make a few colour adjustments, and maybe add a few emblems on shields ect.

Also I would suggest making use of the tall helmets the Elven Nobles and Mithlond Warriors have in vanilla, as the Noldor in the Silmarillion are often described wearing "tall helms". So they would be more lore-wise...
    Last edited by Ellin Athinaios; April 16, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

I don't think the Haladin used swords. But if I can't find a better unit, I'll use the Dunland Noble Swordsmen.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

I Found this Environmental Map of Beleriand, including Angband all the way down to Ossiriand

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

They used swords. Brandir slew Dorlas with a sword, and Dorlas was holding a sword too.

To a sidenote, Dorlas told Turin and Hunthor when he refused to climp the deep of Teiglin in their quest for the Dragon, that he prefers swinging his axe than clinmbing there.

edit:That's a GREAT map
    It even has the Woods of Nuath

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrock View Post

edit:That's a GREAT map
    It even has the Woods of Nuath
    I agree, It has everything that Beleriand needs, and most maps of Beleriand don't include Angaband or the Woods of Nuath. And it gives an Idea of how far the map could stretch, so as to make Morgoth's Realm massive and expansive, making it hard to defeat him simply by Marching on the Three Volcanoes

I don't know if it was mentioned, but so far I hear that there are Two Evil Men Factions, and Two Factions of Utter Evil, i.e. Morgoth and Sauron. What if we add a small Orc Faction to the tip of the Blue Mountains? Or in the West by the Helcarxe (I knw i spelled it wrong sorry). They would quintisentially be a replacement of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, Orcs of the Blue Mountains? Just wondering

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Nope, from Lore point

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrock View Post
    Nope, from Lore point
    got it

Who would be the faction leaders of the House of Hador and the Haladin in the time of the mod?