View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4999124139140141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 2996

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Default Re: War of the Silmarils

Seems like things are moving fairly rapidly right now

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Contribute with Unit Descriptions!

So
    , because I have very little free time for writing, here's a chance for everyone interested in this mod to contribute with unit descriptions! Post them here publicly for all to see, use your imagination, re-read the Silmarillion, and write as Tolkien-ish descriptions as possible. Bear in mind that I may combine/edit/change/complete/improve them, but those selected will of course be credited.

For start, here are some screens and basic info for the units of the House of Fingolfin. Consider this a sort of faction preview as well.
    Some of these units are shared with the Sons of Fëanor and Nargothrond factions (in different colours, different models etc)

Noldor Militia

Basic light infantry, armed with sword and shield, no armour, only clothes/tunic
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Noldor Militia Archers

Same as Noldor Militia, with sword and bow, without shield.

Noldor Riders

Cavalry, same as Noldor Militia, in blue cloaks and tunics.

House of Hador Auxilia

Light skirmishers of House of Hador, javelins and axes, large round wooden painted shields, no armour.

Noldor Infantry

Standard Noldor infantry, tall helms, long swords, long tapering shields, blue cloaks, mail armour.

Noldor Sandastan (Quenya for Shieldwall)

Noldor phalanx, tall helms, spears, long tapering shields, blue cloaks, mail armour.

Noldor Archers

Tall helms, bows, long swords, shields, blue cloaks, mail armour.

Knights of Hithlum

Cavalry, knights, tall helms, long swords, silver shields decorated with gems, blue cloaks, heavy mail armour

Noldor Mounted Archers

Cavalry (horsearchers), tall helms, bows, long swords, blue cloaks, mail armour.

Scouts of Eithel Sirion

Cavalry (horsearchers), scouts of Barad Eithel and Eithel Sirion, bow, sword, light mail armour, blue cloaks.

Edain Cavalry (auxilia)

Cavalry of House of Hador, spears and swords, iron helms, leather armour and furs.

Sentries of Barad Eithel

Heavy Archers of Barad Eithel, tall helms with blue gem, bows, swords, long tapering shields with star, blue tunics with the device of Fingolfin.

Nobles of Hithlum

Heavy Infantry, Elf-lords of Valinor, tall helms, long decorated swords, long ornate tapering shields, shiny/heavy mail armour, white cloaks, flying the blue and silver banner with the device of Fingolfin, the banner of the High King of the Noldor, and the banner of the Stars.

Hadorian Guard of Barad Eithel

Heavy infantry, tall and valiant men that serve Fingolfin and guard Barad Eithel, iron helms, sword and round shield (shieldwall), chain and scale mail armour, fur cloaks.

Guard of the House of Fingolfin (Bodyguard unit)

Cavalry, bodyguard, Elf-lords, tall helm, lance and long sword, long ornate tapering shields, shiny/heavy mail armour, white cloaks

Noldor Hunting Party (mercenaries)

Cavalry, mercenaries (Noldor accompanying their nobles to royal hunts), bows, swords, no armour

Grey-elves of Mithrim (mercenaries)

Mercenaries, original Sindar inhabitants of Mithrim, bow and sword, no armour, grey cloak and hood

Have fun!
    Last edited by Ellin Athinaios; May 14, 2018 at 08:22 PM.

Default Re: War of the Silmarils - Contribute with Unit Descriptions for House of Fingolfin! Details in p. 149

Wow Ellin, those units look really nice ! (although they seem to lack variety of faces )

What kind of description do you seek ? Long and detailed descriptions with a lot of lore material, or rather short/medium descriptions with the main informations and a little bit of salt and pepper from the Silmarillion ?
    I'll post some tries and you tell me if this suits you.

Default Re: War of the Silmarils - Contribute with Unit Descriptions for House of Fingolfin! Details in p. 149

Quote Originally Posted by Green Partizan View Post
    What kind of description do you seek ? Long and detailed descriptions with a lot of lore material, or rather short/medium descriptions with the main informations and a little bit of salt and pepper from the Silmarillion ?
    I'll post some tries and you tell me if this suits you.
    Detailed descriptions like the existing ones of Doriath and Gondolin, if possible! With a lot of lore. Feel free to write as many as you like.

(Lack of variety in faces indeed, but at least I'm happy with the quality)

So, no one's interested in helping with descriptions?

We actually made a few unit descriptions for our mod, Quenta Silmarillion for RTW, which I can gift to you, if you want. However, we haven't made any for House of Fingolfin, I'm afraid (only House of Hador and some of Doriath).
    Last edited by Bercor; May 25, 2018 at 11:23 AM.

Thank you for the offer, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll use parts of them for the house of Hador.

Very nice! Looking forward to when this is done. A lot.

Adonnus's Avatar Civis

Hey, how close is the project to being done? Would really like to play this sometime soon.

Hello,

I just wanted to post my support for this mod. I'm really interested in seeing it eventually reaching completion!

On the subject of unit descriptions, could you maybe post a little more guidance in terms of what you need? For example, you could post a unit card with a completed description to give us an idea of what kind of format you're looking for.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Have a look at the existing descriptions in the first post^^

Alright guys.

Everyone here has been more than patient over the last (almost) decade.

Time to post an alpha build or something along those lines. I'm sure everyone here would like a crack at this before no one is playing this version of Total War anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrious1 View Post
    Alright guys.

Time to post an alpha build or something along those lines. I'm sure everyone here would like a crack at this before no one is playing this version of Total War anymore.
    Seriously? I'm not making this mod for you or anyone else, I'm doing it for my own enjoyment, in my own free time. When it's finished and perfected, I'll gladly share it with everyone. If you don't like that, you can always try building your own mod.
    Also, no one here helped when I asked for help with unit descriptions a while back. Thankfully I got help in moddb

Also also, this version of Total War is classic and sacred, like Tolkien or pizza. It shall always be played.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Don't pay attention to people like that Mr. Ellin Athinaios, they don't really deserve it.
    And yeah i wonder how nobody was able to help out, as for myself, i'm simply busy with other projects, not much to say other than that.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Industrious1 View Post
    Alright guys.

Sod off- or volunteer to help.

No one is paying modders, most of them have a life. From EB2, I know how much time it takes and how few people actually do the work.

Hello Ellin,

It's been a long time and I wanted to ask if there's anything that I could help you with to speed up the release?

Also I am not sure if you've made it already but the TATW Reforged mod has an amazing custom battle map for Gondolin (still WIP), you could ask them if you could use it for your mod if you want.

Good luck with the mod!
    Last edited by Kurmanji; June 02, 2019 at 01:19 PM.

Hi Kurmanji! I am currently using the Minas Tirith custom battle map for Gondolin, I think it works great. Minas Tirith is very Gondolin-like.

I hope to find enough free time to work on the mod during the summer.

If you want to help, you can always write unit descriptions etc (go to the moddb page for that). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    Hi Kurmanji! I am currently using the Minas Tirith custom battle map for Gondolin, I think it works great. Minas Tirith is very Gondolin-like.

I hope to find enough free time to work on the mod during the summer.

If you want to help, you can always write unit descriptions etc (go to the moddb page for that). Thanks!
    About these descriptions you don't mind if they're not in a very tolkien like form? Also what fanctions exactly are missing the descriptions aside from Doriath and Gondolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurmanji View Post
    About these descriptions you don't mind if they're not in a very tolkien like form? Also what fanctions exactly are missing the descriptions aside from Doriath and Gondolin?
    I would prefer the descriptions to be in a Tolkien-like form. If you go to the moddb page, I've been posting unit screenshots there and some people have been writing descriptions under them. Among the factions missing descriptions are the Edain factions, the Easterlings, Angband, the Host of Valinor etc

I congratulate you for your persistence over almost a decade of work. I wanted to rejoin this after I was done with DCI:Last Alliance, but it seems like you have all the models sorted out, so that leaves me out.
    So I just have it in me to wish you Good Luck, Ellin Athinaios!
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader