View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 117 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Default War of the Silmarils

Previous OP, replaced 20th April 2015 with above post
    //Ngugi

Last edited by Ngugi; April 20, 2015 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Ellin wanted me to change the name.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Venia's Avatar Auxilium meum a Domino

Default Re: First Age mod

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    I know, it's a lot of work.
    I know, I can't do it all by myself. That's why I ask the TATW community for help. If anyone is willing to help me, that would be great.

I have though about it a few times, but every time I decided not to do it because lack of time and ability. But now I've tought of this: for a (playable) release only two things are needed:
    1) A map of Beleriand
    2) Factions that take place on it.

With only these two things to do, it is more likely the mod will 'survive' until it's ready to be released. Later on many other things might be added (traits, ancillaries, faction symbols, new units, etc). For now, these two things will be enough work.

The map will be the most time consuming part, for the factions can use the vanilla TATW models. Spliting up all factions can be done in just a few hours of (boring) work, and I'm able to do that.

The only thing that I can't do by myself is the map. I don't have the skills to craft an entire map of Beleriand. I am able to provide whoever is kind enough to make the map with information. I also can do a few things on mapping (placing settlements on the map, placing rivers), but not enough to make a good-looking large map.

If anyone is willing do (a part of) the map that would be great. I will start my research as soon as someone joins me.
    Well you can always count on my help for skinning and maybe some mapping
    SOI skinner/video maker/moderator
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1496,

That's good to hear Do you think you can start on the map if I find some information?
    The Enemy of Human Souls

sarastro's Avatar Foederatus

That's good to hear Do you think you can start on the map if I find some information?
    this mod sound promising and very interested ,1 thing for sure its gonna need REALLY BEUTIFULL UNITS like never seen before and a lot of work if you want to make history in this project...
    something like this elven helmets.

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Well there is already a First Age mod in progress by a Russian team, but I don't really agree with the way they chose to depict it. And I always wanted such a mod, so I'd love to help in any way I can (though I can't do very much ).

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

A long time ago, I made an idea for a first age custom campaign submod for tatw. I called it: The Union of Meadhros (TUOM) and it began just before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. I also made the regions map:

I choose this time set, because there were multiple evil factions and all the elves weren't very united also.
    If you have interest in my ideas, please ask

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    Well there is already a First Age mod in progress by a Russian team, but I don't really agree with the way they chose to depict it. And I always wanted such a mod, so I'd love to help in any way I can (though I can't do very much ).
    Help is always usefull. I will probably need some help with the research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eöl View Post
    A long time ago, I made an idea for a first age custom campaign submod for tatw. I called it: The Union of Meadhros (TUOM) and it began just before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. I also made the regions map:

I choose this time set, because there were multiple evil factions and all the elves weren't very united also.
    It looks good, could you send me your files? Though I intended to start a little bit earlier (just after the arrival of the Noldor, or perhaps when most Houses of Edain are in their respective Kingdoms) the map will be the same.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

It looks good, could you send me your files? Though I intended to start a little bit earlier (just after the arrival of the Noldor, or perhaps when most Houses of Edain are in their respective Kingdoms) the map will be the same.
    Later. No time to search it all up now.
    Why that time? In the time I thought of, we could have sauron as a seperate evil force set in minas tirith. The evil men showed up. And the sindarin weren't very nice to the noldor.

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

Later. No time to search it all up now.
    Okay.

Why that time? In the time I thought of, we could have sauron as a seperate evil force set in minas tirith. The evil men showed up. And the sindarin weren't very nice to the noldor.
    I was just thinking, I'm not sure yet. I want in as many factions as possible (within the borders of realism). Before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad the Edain still lived in Dorlomin, right? It's a while ago I read that history, and I'm looking up things on the internet and in the books I have.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

I really love the first age and I wish you good luck with this mod. I would have offered my help but I have no time for another mod to work on.

For the map you can ask gigantus if he wants to help, he is an excellent mapper and fast worker, and I last time I checked his user title was "maps anyone?", so he might help you .

Venia's Avatar Auxilium meum a Domino
    SOI skinner/video maker/moderator
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1496,

Quote Originally Posted by Skeleton Of The West View Post
    I really love the first age and I wish you good luck with this mod. I would have offered my help but I have no time for another mod to work on.

For the map you can ask gigantus if he wants to help, he is an excellent mapper and fast worker, and I last time I checked his user title was "maps anyone?", so he might help you .
    Thank you, I'll ask him once I'm sure about settlements, time period and some other stuff.

I am now sure the best time is a few years before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. Dorthonion was captured by the Easterlings by then, which makes a faction for there rather pointless, but this is replaced by an evil faction of Easterlins. Not a bad thing, because I think there won't be many evil factions around.

The kingdoms of the Noldor were still there, as said, at the peak of their height and loosely led by Maedhros (though led is the wrong word, more 'unified'). The Edain lived in Brethil and Hithlum (Dor-lómin). Those factions will require new units, but for now that's not a matter of importance.

I've googled a few maps of Beleriand. Most are incomplete, so I think I will pick one and write/draw a few notes on it. Paint.exe for the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Nice link, I think I've seen a better wiki-like site though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirnaeth Arnoediad View Post
    HI !
    Happy to see somebody else is working on First Age.

The russians are however very very advanced in their work -althought I don't agrre their vision of Tolkien'world.

I was in the past (1 year) the leader of a french mod about the first age, we worked a lot too but have stopped because 1) our dev forum was lost (!!!!!) and 2) the russian competition was too strong.

But if you need help, documentation, advices, maps, and all the concepts we had already worked, I'm at your service.
    I've seen the Russian mod, it's to bad their forum is Spanish (?!?) I would like to hear/see what you have done so far
    Last edited by JorisofHolland; April 04, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Help is always usefull. I will probably need some help with the research.
    I could also help with things like text work and family trees. And by the way I think I agree with Eöl's idea about the starting time of the mod, seems like a more interesting time to me, and IIRC the Noldor were at their greatest power just before that battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    I could also help with things like text work and family trees. And by the way I think I agree with Eöl's idea about the starting time of the mod, seems like a more interesting time to me, and IIRC the Noldor were at their greatest power just before that battle.
    You are probably right. I'm reading through some text and after that I probably think it's the right time
    The Enemy of Human Souls

hehe it would be better in the beginning of the bragollach, with a crusade or "invasion" in the 4th or 5th turn, (of course the player is not going to be able to stop it hehe)

Nirnaeth Arnoediad's Avatar Vive l'Empereur !

HI !
    Happy to see somebody else is working on First Age.

The russians are however very very advanced in their work -althought I don't agrre their vision of Tolkien'world.

I was in the past (1 year) the leader of a french mod about the first age, we worked a lot too but have stopped because 1) our dev forum was lost (!!!!!) and 2) the russian competition was too strong.

But if you need help, documentation, advices, maps, and all the concepts we had already worked, I'm at your service.

Whats wrong with the russians view on Tolkiens world? I mean how do they see it then?

Using vanilla TA units is a good start but apart from Dale and Wild men of Dunlending (FROME) i cant really see anyone else fitting in the First Age, well every faction ofcourse have some units that do.

I think everyone gets different imagination when they read a book but in my mind the soldiers wernt very heavily armored (tho i got an idea that Elves from Gondolin had some nasty epic armors and weapons and Dwarves ofcourse but the followers (men) seemed like using leather or mail to me.

Im hoping someone will make First Age mod for ETW or Napoleon due to their nice features that would give a lot more options to make a more fitting mod but as far as ive heard they havent even released mod tools for these 2 or something.

Good luck anyway, dont really see how i could help, even if i wanted to, unless you want some signature made

PS: Some time before Nirnaeth Arnoediad is perfect time to start rewriting the history of Beleriand, if you want my opinion, ive actually thought about it where would this mod start if i would make it, and thats probably the best time, many Elves were wiped off in that battle along with most men so starting after that battle would be bit harsh.
    Last edited by IHV; April 04, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Hi! Well I am not sure, if the russian mod you are mentioning is called Tales of Arda, or something like that, because what I know is, that there is/was a quite developed modding project for RTW-LOTR. The name was something with Arda, could be the tales. They had most of the units done, valar and maiar alike, so maybe you could look for inspiration over there. I´ll try to find a link.

Found it : http://www.lotr-tw.net/viewforum.php...5d22b2621f4ab7. It´s called Arda total war and it seems to be up and running..