Thread: Cavalry using Bayonetted Muskets

Default Cavalry using Bayonetted Muskets

Was there any instances of this, I thought I read somewhere about some french cavalry units using bayonettes, would this be effective as a small lance maybe?
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Default Re: Cavalry using Bayonetted Muskets

I doubt it would be very effective as a lance because it wouldn't really be able to be braced against anything and you couldn't couch it effectively either so you wouldn't be able to concentrate very much force into the bayonet.

"For what itís worth: itís never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life youíre proud of, and if you find that youíre not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

For cavalry carbines, for dismounted use. They still carried a sabre for mounted work, at that time. As cavalry began to be nothing more than mounted infantry, they eventually left the sabre behind altogether (long after: 1870s-1880s. The US 7th Cavalry ought to have carried them during the campaign that culminated in the Battle of the Little Bighorn, but at Custer's orders left them at the regimental depot. The British 21st Lancers at Omdurman carried lance, sabre, and carbine, and were thus armed with both the new and old weapons of mounted warfare.
    Last edited by IAB1789; April 04, 2010 at 02:05 AM.
    'Truth...which is not a beautiful shape living in a well, but a shy bird best caught by a stratagem.' -Joseph Conrad.

Cool, thanks for answering my question
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition