Thread: Playing Daggerfall

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Playing Daggerfall

So I just got Daggerfall (that's the second one for any who don't know) to work on my computer, but I want to know if its possible to run it in a window, as in the window where you can still see other things on your computer.

I can press alt+enter to resize the window, but then I can't move the mouse across the screen, just clicking is the only thing that counts. And if I play on the full screen, then I often get some acid-trip like colors.

Sorry for my bad English - I grew up in America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Vulpex's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Playing Daggerfall

Have you tried with DOS box? I am certain you will find it behave better with it.
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Running_Under_DosBox

I recommend using somekind of frontend, i went for DOG
    http://www.freewebs.com/erikgg/

Yeah, I use DOSBox .78 (it should be the most recent version). The game runs just fine full screen, but since it wasn't exactly made for a 1240x1024 resolution, things look a bit... pixellated.

So, while I can reduce the window size by the aforementioned alt+enter method, I surrendur control of the mouse at that point.
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Vulpex's Avatar Civis

Seems very specific problem. With frontends you can also take use of newer GFX tricks, smoothing the graphics, as effect i say it is rather good with some games. Especially old adventure games look cooler with smoothing.
    Give that DOG a go, i have not ran any problems. Master of Magic, Darklands et all, all work well. There are some options for how the mouse pointer will behave in settings. Also you have good controll on screen settings, and possible smoothing effects.
    Other than that, i can not much help, i have not yet tried to run Daggerfall (and why not? )

When you get a chance, tell me how it works out while I blunder my way to the solution.

The game is supposed to look pixelated. The GFX was already obsolete back when it was released, never mind now.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    Yeah, I use DOSBox .78 (it should be the most recent version). The game runs just fine full screen, but since it wasn't exactly made for a 1240x1024 resolution, things look a bit... pixellated.

So, while I can reduce the window size by the aforementioned alt+enter method, I surrendur control of the mouse at that point.
    Reminds me of this info. Maybe it helps
    Q. My cursor is trapped within the DOSBox window when I click inside. How do I get the cursor out?
    A. DOSBox will capture your mouse when you click inside the display window (and you have autolock=true set in the Dosbox.conf). Simply press CTRL-F10 to release the mouse.
    http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/FAQ#Trapped_mouse_cursor

As for full screen and the pixalation ...
    you can open the dosbox.conf and change "fullscreen=true" to "fullscreen=false" and try using other scalers
    http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler

Similar to having trapped in the DOSBox.

I can't move the mouse around when I reduce it from fullscreen. What I do is, I go to fullscreen and then I reduce it using alt+enter. It doesn't look as pixelated and it is much easier to read when such action is taken.

Vulpex's Avatar Civis

Settting all the variables is so much easier with a frontend. Choose your settings, and you have single click launcher for your game. I did for some time it from DOSbox itself, but launcher is so much smoother, methinks.
    Also, if you want to try some smoothing effects, those are a click away. Like said, works best with rather stationary graphics, like old adveture games. Although, you probably are better of using SCUM to play Lucasarts classics.
    Playing DOS games has never been so fun
    For example, in adjusting a game profile, there is single page for options like locking the cursor when clicking, autolock, and mouse sensitivity. This with the one i recommended earlier, DOG.
    And i am not being paid to say so.
    Good luck with it.

hollowfaith's Avatar Ordinarius

Man, Daggerfall was/is amazing. The only rpg besides Darklands that drew me in for days at a time. What is even more hilarious is I still have the original gamebox with all of the manuals and inserts, including the Arena game that it was boxed with, as well as the strategy guide on my bookshelf, all in brand spanking new condition. Dang, I can be such a dork!!! LOL
    Rome II Total Realism (TW:R2) - Music composer.
    Rome Total Realism Project (R:TW) - Music composer and noise legionnaire.
    Rome Total Realism: VII (R:TW) - Music composer and noise legionnaire.

Authentic Ancient World: (TW:R2) - Music composer

On a different computer for the summer and was able to install DOG. I guess I just need to go download Daggerfall from Bethesda's site?